Leftover unhealthy food

Replies

• ellejaymonae
    ellejaymonae Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks all for the input! Also, the "bajillion calories" comment was in sarcasm. Also, I didn't know the calorie content of the pizza itself until after I started MPF, but turns out it was hefty in calories, fat/cholesterol, and added a lot to my day. Yes, it is a trigger food I guess you could say.
    Thanks all!
  • ellejaymonae
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »
    How do you deal with having something like leftover pizza? I had a huge box of margherita pizza leftover and of course I finished the last 2 slices today that ended up being a bajillion calories. For some reason I feel horrible for throwing away bad food, and if it's in the house I of course eat it! Any advice? Thanks in advance :)

I don't throw away food. It's funny that you mention leftover pizza because that's exactly what I'll be having tomorrow. You are being dramatic, it's not a bajillion calories, it's not bad food and it's not a big deal. If you fit the slices of pizza into your log today, you'll have no problem fitting them into your log tomorrow.

Eh, two slices of the small pizza we get is 320 calories and not at all satiating, so I see where the OP is coming from, especially since she said the box was huge.

My OH's family was here last week and we had pizza. I tried to send all the leftovers back with them, but my OH objected...and then abandoned the pizza in the frig for days until I reminded him about it. :#

Food that triggers the OP may not be problematic for you, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem for her.

@janjunie I don't like throwing food out either. My strategy is to find someone else to eat it.

(psst - I suggest you not call food "bad" here on MFP but instead refer to it as something that triggers you to overeat or is otherwise problematic for you.)

Exactly. Sorry I wasn't more specific! I didn't think about maybe freezing them, but regardless, any kind of "junk" food is a problem for me as I normally will just sit and eat it till it's gone. It's difficult to say no, so I was just seeing what coping strategies or storage solutions others may have used in similar situations.
  • ellejaymonae
    janjunie wrote: »
    How do you deal with having something like leftover pizza? I had a huge box of margherita pizza leftover and of course I finished the last 2 slices today that ended up being a bajillion calories. For some reason I feel horrible for throwing away bad food, and if it's in the house I of course eat it! Any advice? Thanks in advance :)

I don't throw away food. It's funny that you mention leftover pizza because that's exactly what I'll be having tomorrow. You are being dramatic, it's not a bajillion calories, it's not bad food and it's not a big deal. If you fit the slices of pizza into your log today, you'll have no problem fitting them into your log tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the insight!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    we take leftover pizza and put it in freezer bags and freeze it so if anyone wants pizza just nuke it or put it in the oven for a bit to reheat. no waste
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    I really like leftover pizza and find it not too bad in calorie terms, but pizza does vary a lot. I generally just refrigerate and eat over the next few days, but you can certainly freeze it. Just wrap it up in something airtight to stop it drying out.

If you want to eat it but not all at once because of the calories, try using it as salad croutons (cut in small pieces and heat up/crisp in the oven) or breadsticks for dipping in soup (cut in strips and do the same). You could cut it up before freezing so it stops being 'pizza' psychologically.

Or if you find it easier to just throw it out, please don't feel bad about that, it's far better than feeling obliged to eat it when you don't want to and making yourself unhappy.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    If it's pizza and I'm sharing it with friends, I ask them to take the leftovers with them. I'm usually a frugal person and hate food waste, but here's how I think of it: If I bought a $14 pizza, that's about $1.75 per slice, assuming 8 slices per pizza. If I've eaten all I want, and there are two pieces left, I ask myself: Would I pay $3.50 to stay within my calories today? If I would, I throw both pieces away. Or I throw one piece away and save the other one for the next day, when I can plan to have it within that day's calorie budget. Just because I have it doesn't mean it needs to go in my mouth. I'm not a garbage disposal.

I love this!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited July 2017
    Whenever I order a pizza, I eat the whole thing.

But if I somehow have any left over, I'd freeze it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    When I want pizza, I just have one slice, or I get an individual pizza and make it fit in my day (even at 1200 calories).

We have leftover pizza occasionally but then my kids eat it (I never order a whole pizza) so it's not really a problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    If it's pizza and I'm sharing it with friends, I ask them to take the leftovers with them. I'm usually a frugal person and hate food waste, but here's how I think of it: If I bought a $14 pizza, that's about $1.75 per slice, assuming 8 slices per pizza. If I've eaten all I want, and there are two pieces left, I ask myself: Would I pay $3.50 to stay within my calories today? If I would, I throw both pieces away. Or I throw one piece away and save the other one for the next day, when I can plan to have it within that day's calorie budget. Just because I have it doesn't mean it needs to go in my mouth. I'm not a garbage disposal.

Yeah, this is a sensible way to think about it.

I had some tortilla chips left from a thing where I had people over. I didn't really want more of them, but them being there, leftover, was bothering me and my mind was doing the "must eat them" thing because tossing them feels wrong. Then it just hit me how crazy that was -- if I don't want to eat them, how is it better to eat them than throw them away? (I don't think anyone else wants my opened bag of chips).

Now if I actually wanted and would enjoy the pizza, that would be different -- 2 slices of pizza are not a bajillion calories and for me a quite satiating meal around the size of a normal meal. Plus, they can always be paired with low cal vegetables. But if you don't want them, don't eat them and stop telling yourself you can't just toss them.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    I have had food in my house that I just give away to friends or family. If I have any pizza which I had last week, it lasted a breakfast and a lunch next day.. I didn't make a big deal out of it.. didn't hurt my weight loss. but I have been tempted outside and then I did count the cost of eating that much calories and so I was able to talk myself out of it. I just don't purchase pizza so that I wont have to deal with what the OP was talking about.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I always portion out leftovers before I put them in the fridge or freezer.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I always portion out leftovers before I put them in the fridge or freezer.

Yes, always do this, otherwise you'll end up with huge anonymous lumps of stuff that are still in there 18 months hence. Always portion, label and seal tightly.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If there has been a gathering where people have brought in pizza and cake and chips and whatever, part of the goodbye process is me giving them their doritos and cookies back to enjoy at their homes.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member

If it's something I don't want to eat later plus I know I have no control, I throw it away. I am not a human trashcan. I am not responsible for eating everything in sight.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Usually I try to pawn it off on a guy friend if it's leftover pizza/Chinese/what-have-you. However if it's cookies or cake or something, I will take it to work and leave in the kitchen for the vultures to scavenge. The food will definitely not get wasted at the office ;)
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member

I love this! We are not GARBAGE DISPOSALS!!!