Keto anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    im on week 9.
    I cheated this weekend for my birthday so it sort of feels like starting again :)

I have cheated a few times but when I get back I feel the weightloss continues to be steady!

• DharmainHeels
    Options
    I have a question... (Sorry, newbie that is thinking about going Keto, but don't know much about it) I see many of you are saying week 1, week 10, etc.... is their a "plan" for keto, or is this just how many weeks you have been doing it? And any helpful tips for a beginner? Thanks!

Keto is considered a lifetime change and those on it encourage people to think of it that way. For me - I allow myself a cheat day here and there (or a cheat meal once in a while on a special occasion) but I am considering this pretty much the way I am going to go - not just for weight but also my IBS has gone away and I have so much more energy. My skin is clearer too!

• DharmainHeels
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    daacree wrote: »
    Okay, this is crazy sounding but it's true.

I'm on week ten.my anxiety and depression have gone. My mind is clear and focused. I've written two screenplays in the past ten weeks. I had the kind of breakthrough in therapy most people take ayahuasca to have. My lower back pain eased up so much I've been able to start running again.

I'm not even interested in sugar and flour anymore. It's just not terribly appealing.

Obviously, YMMV but I really wish everybody would just try this diet because it could change your life. It may have no effect, but it could also cause a sea change.

That's awesome!!! I have low back pain that's so terrible!!! I stand all day and it's so bad I can hardly walk in the evenings! I would love to help heal that somehow! Weight loss is a need I would love to tone and lose! Thanks for such a positive reply!

I definitely think you should try it but I have a strong suspicion that my lower back pain was somehow tied to my anxiety and depression and my deeply abusive childhood. I think that it was causing me to tense some muscles or hold my body in an awkward position. There's a lot of literature about how the psoas and other muscles/tendons in the hip/pelvis are usually affected strongly by adverse emotional states.

The theory is that it is tied to one of the four F responses.

It just seems most likely that the keto is really only helping me with my mental state, and the change in mood is helping with the physical pain. I've done a lot of reading about trauma and trauma responses. The ACE study, Bessel Van der Kolk of Harvard, Robert Sapolsky of Stanford, and Peter Levine all find a strong link between lot of physical conditions and trauma/stress. Those are the physical conditions I'm seeing people find relief from when they become keto adapted.

These are all physical ailment that can be arrived at in other ways, though.

So, don't get your hopes too high but definitely try it. It can't hurt. And the possibility is there that something amazing happens for you. Good Luck!

I was just about to recommend the Body Keeps the Score until you mentioned Van der Kolk and figured you already knew the book!

• ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

The Keto groups on MFP and Facebook are great as well. :)

I've been off and on doing Keto since June... have only lost about 5 pounds... but I've cut down on my workouts and have probably been eating too many calories (honesty is the best policy). BUT, I do feel more mentally focused, less hungry, less headaches, and less body aches. In general I just feel BETTER! Also, it's probably a good thing when you're on KETO that you feel like ISH after eating badly, good incentive to keep Keto, if only my other "diets" had done that! Haha.

Good luck, feel free to add me. :)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have a question... (Sorry, newbie that is thinking about going Keto, but don't know much about it) I see many of you are saying week 1, week 10, etc.... is their a "plan" for keto, or is this just how many weeks you have been doing it? And any helpful tips for a beginner? Thanks!

It isn't a plan in that sense. You eat the same way the whole time. However, it takes time to adapt. In the beginning, your body will still be using your glycogen stores. After about a week, you're probably in ketosis. From one to two months is when you're becoming what we call keto adapted. This means that your body is now accustomed to using fat almost exclusively so youre flooded with the enzymes necessary to achieve this. That is when you usually see the sharp decline in hunger..
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    daacree wrote: »
    Okay, this is crazy sounding but it's true.

I'm on week ten.my anxiety and depression have gone. My mind is clear and focused. I've written two screenplays in the past ten weeks. I had the kind of breakthrough in therapy most people take ayahuasca to have. My lower back pain eased up so much I've been able to start running again.

I'm not even interested in sugar and flour anymore. It's just not terribly appealing.

Obviously, YMMV but I really wish everybody would just try this diet because it could change your life. It may have no effect, but it could also cause a sea change.

That's awesome!!! I have low back pain that's so terrible!!! I stand all day and it's so bad I can hardly walk in the evenings! I would love to help heal that somehow! Weight loss is a need I would love to tone and lose! Thanks for such a positive reply!

I definitely think you should try it but I have a strong suspicion that my lower back pain was somehow tied to my anxiety and depression and my deeply abusive childhood. I think that it was causing me to tense some muscles or hold my body in an awkward position. There's a lot of literature about how the psoas and other muscles/tendons in the hip/pelvis are usually affected strongly by adverse emotional states.

The theory is that it is tied to one of the four F responses.

It just seems most likely that the keto is really only helping me with my mental state, and the change in mood is helping with the physical pain. I've done a lot of reading about trauma and trauma responses. The ACE study, Bessel Van der Kolk of Harvard, Robert Sapolsky of Stanford, and Peter Levine all find a strong link between lot of physical conditions and trauma/stress. Those are the physical conditions I'm seeing people find relief from when they become keto adapted.

These are all physical ailment that can be arrived at in other ways, though.

So, don't get your hopes too high but definitely try it. It can't hurt. And the possibility is there that something amazing happens for you. Good Luck!

I was just about to recommend the Body Keeps the Score until you mentioned Van der Kolk and figured you already knew the book!

I've read it several times. :)
  • SouthGranWill
    SouthGranWill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not big fan of keto. Tried it, and it merely jammed me up. I find that low-fat has been much more effective, and the research indicates low-fat beats low-carb for most people.
  • fitness_journey80
    fitness_journey80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled with keto and had success, but never managed to keep it up for very long. I'm vegetarian -which adds a level of complexity- but this time I've found a bunch of resources to help me keep it up, including a keto veggie community on reddit.
  • Crriggs84
    Crriggs84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was just researching different diets and this is one's of the ones in was a going to talk to my doctor about. I'm new to this whole thing and it's a little scary.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Crriggs84 wrote: »
    I was just researching different diets and this is one's of the ones in was a going to talk to my doctor about. I'm new to this whole thing and it's a little scary.

If you'd like, you can add me as a friend and check out my diary for ideas if you choose to go Keto. :) you can add me whether you do or don't. Lol

• awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been Keto for a little over a month now and at my first month weigh in, I lost 21lbs. I also exercised for at least 30min to 1hr, for at least 5 days a week if not more. The first week, like with anything starting out, was rough; but now it's a lifestyle. Occasionally if we go out to eat, which isn't very often, I will treat myself and factor that in, but again nothing too crazy. I still stick to basic protein and veggies. So for me its worked out quite well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not big fan of keto. Tried it, and it merely jammed me up. I find that low-fat has been much more effective, and the research indicates low-fat beats low-carb for most people.

That is the opposite of what I have read - especially for those with insulin resistance.
  • DharmainHeels
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That is the opposite of what I have read - especially for those with insulin resistance.

Low carb is working for me and I did low fat for yearssssss
  • KrittersGal
    KrittersGal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started researching intermittent fasting and keto June 1st when I found out I was diabetic since then I have lost 30 lbs and my average BS went from 200 to 107 and my a1c from 8.5 to 5.8. Keto is amazing!
  • K8style
    K8style Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! Seems to work when I stick to the metrics!