Gym or no gym?

Options
So I started my journey (again) to lose weigh a month ago but I haven't gone to a gym I'm exercising at home, occasionally walking/running at the park ..you guys think it will be possible to lose weigh like this? Last time I did it like 5 years ago, I did go to the gym and lost about 20lbs in 3 months ....ive only lost 5lbs this time around

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Perfectly possible to exercise well without a gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So I started my journey (again) to lose weigh a month ago but I haven't gone to a gym I'm exercising at home, occasionally walking/running at the park ..you guys think it will be possible to lose weigh like this? Last time I did it like 5 years ago, I did go to the gym and lost about 20lbs in 3 months ....ive only lost 5lbs this time around

Losing weight is far far more about how much you eat, and less about how much you exercise. That said, I still think both should go hand in hand to create an overall healthy lifestyle.

Some people are good at working out at home/by themselves, others do better going to a gym, and a lot do well with group classes.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I was firmly in camp no-gym for the longest time, and helped build my calorie deficit with a lot of walking, running and stationary cycling. When I took off the last 5-10lbs I ended up incredibly weak and muscle wasted. I was trying to move a big sheet of plywood in my yard and it shocked me that I had so much trouble, I've always been quite strong. I explored lifting immediately to build my muscle back, and quickly realised there was only so far my set of dumbbells could take me. I joined a gym and make the most of the varied equipment, and haven't looked back. I have my strength back and am appreciating my new aesthetic too. It does come with a required change in attitude to food intake, as the muscle won't come as easily when eating in a deficit. I can usually tell when I need to up my cals, I describe it as a food hole, when I'm just never satisfied no matter what I eat. I'm not sure exactly how that works while still actively trying to lose, as I started when I was at maintenance.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's very possible to lose weight wth an exercise program outside the gym. That being said, your prior success at the gym is very intriguing. What was your routine there? And is it possible to accomplish the same at home? You may consider doing a free one week trial, assuming one is available at a gym local to you, and try your previous workout and see if there is any difference.

Contrary to what you may be told by some here, there is no one size fits all to CICO. Everyone seems to achieve a deficit differently. Getting plenty of daily exercise in really helps me achieve my deficit.
  • Phoenix2021
    Phoenix2021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it really comes down to what works for you outside of the basics like dropping your daily calories. I have hated the gym because I am not a self motivator. I joined a local CrossFit box, took some classes and have not looked back. I learned very quickly the scale does not always reflect all the hard work you have put in. I have lost inches, gotten a lot stronger, and have lost 30 pounds in a year. The weight loss is a little slow, but I am smaller by putting on muscle and losing inches than I ever was just losing 30 pounds doing cardio and minor weight lifting. Eating healthy is key as well. Remember not all calories are created equal, so what you eat despite the deficit is very important. Do what feels right and comfortable. I wish you all the best!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything better for calorie burn than running. I used to run about thirty miles a week and come home each day and do 16 minutes of planks. Only expense is running shoes.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As an older woman under 5foot 4 inches I respectfully disagree with the posters who say anyone can lose weight without exercise. Because my maintenance calories without exercise hover around 1300 to 1350 - I'd have to starve myself if I tried to lose weight without including some significant exercise. The approx 700 to 800 calories that an hour of swimming and another hour aerobics give me is just over 1/2 my maintenance calorie allotment. And no matter how much I weighed and logged my food cutting out a pidly but safe 100-150 calories a day meant weight loss so slow as to be completely demotivating and practically nonexistent. So depending on your size (i.e. short) and metabolism (i.e. post menopausal low) exercise can be crucial to weight loss imo.

However, where one exercises shouldn't have any impact, I would think. Find an exercise or two that you LIKE. That seems to be the real key with exercise.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Wow, 7-800 is a very high calorie burn for a small person.
    OP, you don't need a gym. Try some different things to see what you like. Run, walk, swim, yoga, YouTube videos... I have several exercuse DVDs and also borrow some from the library. I have dumbbells and a treadmill. I mostly use the gym for free weights/heavy lifting.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said you don't need to go to the gym to lose weight it's just a simple matter of eating less calories than your body Burns.

I lost 80 lb over 8 months and have been maintaining for over 10. During that weight loss. I didn't go to the gym once I worked out at home. I was what they classically called skinny fat where I lost the weight but I didn't have any muscle tone or definition. Started to go to the gym and I noticed more muscle definition gained a couple pounds even though it was insignificant and my waist size actually decreased
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Depends what motivates you more , something you'll stick to . I know for me personally the gym is a motivator. I feel more connected seeing so many people working out , working on their goals . I like to see others routines and progress , not that I'm a total creeper but you can get new ideas from others working out. For me being at home I like to relax , enjoy the kids etc. The gym I think of it as just for me ..time away from kids in the zone .
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 45lbs since April..... no gym.

I'm at approx 1500 cal/day.

I'm 58, 5'4" and started out at 288lbs.

Calorie deficit, biking and kayaking (really bad knees) is what's doing it for me.

Like most people have said....... it's about finding something you like!! :)

Now I'm going out cause I love it, not because I think I need to burn X amount of calories - that's just a bonus. ;)

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    bruby28 wrote: »
    Depends what motivates you more , something you'll stick to . I know for me personally the gym is a motivator. I feel more connected seeing so many people working out , working on their goals . I like to see others routines and progress , not that I'm a total creeper but you can get new ideas from others working out. For me being at home I like to relax , enjoy the kids etc. The gym I think of it as just for me ..time away from kids in the zone .

I agree with this. I need my gym time for my me time away from the house and kids.
  • CookiesBeGone
    CookiesBeGone Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been very against gyms ever since I realised that most of the machines in the Gym could be substituted in every day life eg cycling/running. Really doing body weight strength training should really be enough to help you gain muscles and burn some extra fat. I'm not opposed to buying weights if and when I need to as at least you don't have to pay a small fortune every month just to use them.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've been very against gyms ever since I realised that most of the machines in the Gym could be substituted in every day life eg cycling/running. Really doing body weight strength training should really be enough to help you gain muscles and burn some extra fat. I'm not opposed to buying weights if and when I need to as at least you don't have to pay a small fortune every month just to use them.

$20-40 a month is a small fortune?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree with stanmann571. People often cringe at gym fees, but compared to what most people spend on leisure, it's typically a small expense. Not to mention that it's awfully cheap in comparison to one's long-term healthcare costs.

This is why those $10 monthly gym memberships aren't such a good bargain. You'd be better off paying more for better facilities and equipment--the kind that will help you maintain or achieve physical fitness much more effectively.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

$20-40 a month is a small fortune?

Unfortunately for some of us, yes that can be a small fortune. When I was twenty years younger I would not have thought twice about that amount. Nowadays that is close to my monthly discretionary (entertainment usually) allowance in my budget.

As to the comment that 700 to 800 calories seemed like a lot for my two to two and 1/2 hour workouts, maybe so, but I don't eat those calories back and I'm losing about a pound a week ( 4 times a week, 800 calories is 3200 a week ) so I think it is pretty accurate.

But OP - a gym membership isn't key unless working out in a gym is what you like and what motivates you. Only you can determine that.
  • Fitnessfaith7465
    Fitnessfaith7465 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I miss going to the gym. We moved and I had to quit my previous job do to the move. I have been doing workouts at home and running/walking around the neighborhood for about 4 months. I start my new job Monday so as soon as everything is caught up I am joining the gym again cause its to hot to run in Texas weather.