Amount of weight vs Reps

In order for me to build or maintain muscle does it matter how much weight you lift vs how many reps you can do? For example say someone has a weight bench, curl bar & dumbbells at their home. But they only have 60lbs worth of weight. Could they build/maintain muscle with just that much weight or would you have to eventually lift more weights? Just curious. Explain if you can also. Thanks!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I could very well be wrong....

but i think the theory is lift heavier weights at a lower rep to build bulkier muscle and then lighter weights with more reps to build leaner muscle.

Could be wrong. Someone correct me, if so.

There is a hypertrophy zone from about 8 to 12 reps where you maximize muscle growth lifting the weight that will bring you close to failure. Lower reps with more weight will mostly get you stronger and have some hypertrophy. Higher reps with higher weight will give limited hypertrophy and limited strength gains. Mostly improvement in muscle tone.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

but i think the theory is lift heavier weights at a lower rep to build bulkier muscle and then lighter weights with more reps to build leaner muscle.

There is a hypertrophy zone from about 8 to 12 reps where you maximize muscle growth lifting the weight that will bring you close to failure. Lower reps with more weight will mostly get you stronger and have some hypertrophy. Higher reps with higher weight will give limited hypertrophy and limited strength gains. Mostly improvement in muscle tone.

I attempted for a while just to get some extra muscle tone and then everyone kept telling me that what I was doing was wrong so I got so frustrated, that I stopped. I wasn't lifting super heavy weights. I was lifting enough to challenge me and doing 3 sets of like 12 or 15.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    The concept in general is Progressive Overload. As long as you're constantly challenging yourself, which you can do with isolation exercises, higher reps, supersets...you're going to improve.

I mean, look at people who only do Bodyweight exercises. You can build and maintain muscle with almost no tools, it just depends on your goals. :)
  • mmapags

I attempted for a while just to get some extra muscle tone and then everyone kept telling me that what I was doing was wrong so I got so frustrated, that I stopped. I wasn't lifting super heavy weights. I was lifting enough to challenge me and doing 3 sets of like 12 or 15.

An approach that I've seen used successfully for muscle growth is to use the most weight that you can use for 8 reps and 3 sets. Use that until you can do 12 reps with that weight, then add. And so on, and soon. Of course you have to have the right dietary conditions to add muscle mass. Eg. eating at maintenance or above, or be a newbie, returner or obese.
  • mmapags
    The concept in general is Progressive Overload. As long as you're constantly challenging yourself, which you can do with isolation exercises, supersets...you're going to improve.

I mean, look at people who only do Bodyweight exercises. You can build and maintain muscle with almost no tools, it just depends on your goals. :)

You can. I am not a fan of either iso or supersetting. The former because it takes too much time and I like full body compounds. The later because I think you take energy and focus away from good lifting technique. If I'm looking to build (or keep) muscle, that is what I'm going to focus in. YMMV
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You can stop increasing the weight and will maintain what you've got.

If you just keep increasing the reps to keep making it difficult - you'll start using slightly different muscle type. So now that type is difficulty and it starts getting stronger.

For instance take 60lbs max and doing like squats - you could get to point that you could do 100 in a row.

That is a different muscle type that is being work compared to say 5 reps feeling as hard with more weight.

But if you kept doing 100 squats with 60 lbs - you'd likely be surprised that you could not move down to say 5 reps with 200 lbs at some point - just different muscles that stopped getting worked as well when the reps kept going up.

So still a good workout, can keep maintenance. Just depends on purpose and desires.

3 x 12-15 is just great and has been shown in studies up to 20 reps even can give good hypertrophy.

And yeah, no such thing as lean muscles like you could cause it beyond genetics by a certain lifting style. About the only way to add more fat is endurance cardio.

Otherwise lean muscle is what you order at the butcher.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    You'll get a ton of Bro-science from posts on here.. But:

Diet.
    A good, proven program. And Good lifting technique. Both are equal and essential.
    Diet.
    Progressive overload. - So enough weight to be challenging. Repeat until it's not. Add more weight, repeat.
    Diet.
    Consistency - The only bad session is the one you don't turn up for.
    Diet.

No such thing as Bulky\Lean Muscle. Muscle is Muscle. It grows at x rate\point regardless.

Rep numbers kinda count - low reps are more strength orientated. Higher is preferred for building muscle.

Without knowing your training experience, I'd not state rep ranges\sets etc. If your knew, just do what the basic starting programs tell you.

The real key is Diet. Dunno if i mentioned that?

I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid - From A article i read on a powerlifting site but the points can be taken to many other areas - Basically If your not a qualified PT, with 10+ years experience, then just stick the the basics.

I've lifted for 8 years, and still tell myself that ^^

Oh. and above the rest - Diet.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

if you wanna build muscle, lift in the hypertrophy zone (and eat) Once you max out your 60 lbs of weight at home, you will level off and maybe even lose some muscle size as your body gets efficient. If you are serious about bodybuilding, just get on a lifting program that tells you exactly how many reps and sets to do and what to eat.
  • theron12
    theron12 Posts: 60 Member
    Thanks for the input everyone!
  • chelllsea124

All muscle is lean. There is no "bulky" muscle.

This is information I got from like 4 different people. So I'm not the idiot. They are. :D:p
  • SonyaCele

This is information I got from like 4 different people. So I'm not the idiot. They are. :D:p

be careful who and where you get your info from :)
  • chelllsea124
    SonyaCele wrote: »

be careful who and where you get your info from :)

But I want to lose fat in just my butt.... how do I do that?! lmao
  • SonyaCele
    edited July 2017

bulky might not be a term some people use, When it comes to strong muscles, there are big muscles and small muscles and all sizes in between, all are strong for their own purpose. The general rule is heavy low rep is for strength, med rep (8-12) is for hypertrophy (sometimes called bulky) and high rep for endurance (less size sometimes referred to as lean)
  • chelllsea124

Idk, man. some of these dudes in the gym are definitely looking bulky!!! :p
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    There are a few really good guidelines.

Specificity is the most important. Work the muscles you want to build, seems obvious, but if you only have 60 lbs, you may have to do more isolation because with isolation, you use less weight.

Always lift at 60% 1RM or greater, don't bother lifting more than 90-95% 1RM

If you are within the first 2 years of lifting, complete the amount of reps with that weight that will take you to within 3-5 reps of failure. We're talking failure of form, not muscle failure.

If you are more experienced, go to within 0-3 reps of failure.

Muscle benefits from a variety of reps ranges from 3-20 or so. Lower reps get you strength, higher reps get you hypertrophy, but you must lift with weights that correspond to the rep range, heavier for low reps, lighter for high reps to within that range of failure above.

3-5 sets are good, any more than 5 and you get diminishing or negative returns.

Reps per week
    Large muscle groups 60-120 reps
    Smaller muscle groups 30-60 reps

Here's a couple fancy graphics.
    nocc2l9jiote.jpg
    k82nuizbiczy.jpg

One more thing. No muscle without a calorie surplus. yeah yeah recomp, but it's not ideal.

This is interesting. Not to hijack OPs thread, but I have a question about "training for power". I feel like I am reasonably strong for my size, but I think I might be lacking power. For example, recently while doing P90X3, I noticed that I have a hard time with the plyometric type exercises. I can't jump high at all and, even though I have good cardio endurance, these drills wear me out fast. This is the case for any exercise that requires a "springy" type movement (for lack of knowing the proper term). I was thinking it is because my muscles lack flexibility. Is this what is meant by "training for power"? Is high reps with low weight a good way to improve this?
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    There are a few really good guidelines.

Specificity is the most important. Work the muscles you want to build, seems obvious, but if you only have 60 lbs, you may have to do more isolation because with isolation, you use less weight.

Always lift at 60% 1RM or greater, don't bother lifting more than 90-95% 1RM

If you are within the first 2 years of lifting, complete the amount of reps with that weight that will take you to within 3-5 reps of failure. We're talking failure of form, not muscle failure.

If you are more experienced, go to within 0-3 reps of failure.

Muscle benefits from a variety of reps ranges from 3-20 or so. Lower reps get you strength, higher reps get you hypertrophy, but you must lift with weights that correspond to the rep range, heavier for low reps, lighter for high reps to within that range of failure above.

3-5 sets are good, any more than 5 and you get diminishing or negative returns.

Reps per week
    Large muscle groups 60-120 reps
    Smaller muscle groups 30-60 reps

Here's a couple fancy graphics.
    nocc2l9jiote.jpg
    k82nuizbiczy.jpg

One more thing. No muscle without a calorie surplus. yeah yeah recomp, but it's not ideal.

This is interesting. Not to hijack OPs thread, but I have a question about "training for power". I feel like I am reasonably strong for my size, but I think I might be lacking power. For example, recently while doing P90X3, I noticed that I have a hard time with the plyometric type exercises. I can't jump high at all and, even though I have good cardio endurance, these drills wear me out fast. This is the case for any exercise that requires a "springy" type movement (for lack of knowing the proper term). I was thinking it is because my muscles lack flexibility. Is this what is meant by "training for power"? Is high reps with low weight a good way to improve this?

No, high reps with a low weight would not train power. Typically you would use a moderately heavy weight for low reps with a quick movement. For example, I do power cleans for 3 reps x 5 sets. The movement has to be done explosively or I wouldn't be able to rack the bar on my shoulders.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Idk, man. some of these dudes in the gym are definitely looking bulky!!! :p

A five pound bag loaded with six pounds of sand would look bulky. A five pound bag loaded with two pounds of sand would look slender.

But they're both filled with sand.

The difference between "lean" muscle and "bulky" muscle is how much of it there is.