IBS

How do you have a healthy diet, when all the fresh and raw veggies hate you? I love salads and other raw veggie, but they wreck my stomach. Any ideas?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    I've resulted to drinking things like V8s in the past when flares were bad. Or taking a multivitamin to ensure I was getting the right micro vitamins while eating what I knew I could eat.

Have you done any elimination diets to see what exactly is the triggering foods? Obviously you say salads, but have you narrowed it down further? Even trying different leafy greens could make a huge difference.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Elimination diet with notes. Even high fructose fruits can cause a problem. http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/08/27/when-good-foods-make-you-feel-bad You should open your diary since many people have experience in this and could spot something. For me, tomatoes (nightshades) cause a problem.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    This is why I started with MFP. Tracking what I was eating was important for me to identify trigger foods. I also learned that while the foods are important, the size portions was what disrupting my intestines even more than the unhealthy foods. I document everything in the notes section (scale of 1-10 for stress, symptoms, etc.) And, I lost weight. I came here figuring out the IBS things first and the weight thing second ... and learned how parallel they really are.
  • kimie54
    kimie54 Posts: 24 Member
    Elimination diet with notes. Even high fructose fruits can cause a problem. http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/08/27/when-good-foods-make-you-feel-bad You should open your diary since many people have experience in this and could spot something. For me, tomatoes (nightshades) cause a problem.
    Thank you for the article!
  • kimie54
    pacingoamy wrote: »
    This is why I started with MFP. Tracking what I was eating was important for me to identify trigger foods. I also learned that while the foods are important, the size portions was what disrupting my intestines even more than the unhealthy foods. I document everything in the notes section (scale of 1-10 for stress, symptoms, etc.) And, I lost weight. I came here figuring out the IBS things first and the weight thing second ... and learned how parallel they really are.

Excellent idea! I'm going to look back. I do know that the romaine lettuce that I had yesterday was a culprit.
  • kimie54

I do know that grapes bother me, but I was thinking it was the peeling on them.
  • kimie54
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I've resulted to drinking things like V8s in the past when flares were bad. Or taking a multivitamin to ensure I was getting the right micro vitamins while eating what I knew I could eat.

Have you done any elimination diets to see what exactly is the triggering foods? Obviously you say salads, but have you narrowed it down further? Even trying different leafy greens could make a huge difference.

I want to experiment with some other greens. I used to think romaine was a good choice, over iceberg, but now I'm not too sure.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    kimie54 wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »

I want to experiment with some other greens. I used to think romaine was a good choice, over iceberg, but now I'm not too sure.

I personally found iceburg to upset my stomach and romaine at times as well, but spinach was always a safe go to. But as mentioned, that was after a lot of testing. I ended up losing 12lbs during my first major flare ups, so I had to find out fast what worked and didn't. Of course, I'm not immune to flare ups, but elimination has helped me see what I should steer clear of.. or enjoy and know I need to stay home for the rest of the night (looking at you, hamburgers).

It might be worth talking to your doctor as far as resources as well. When I was diagnosed with IBS and diverticulitis, the doctor actually ran classes on how to affectly deal with it. I didn't attend them because I'm lazy like that, but it might be worth looking into if you're struggling.

• hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    I know that this doesn't directly answer your question, but I certainly feel your pain. I too have IBS and have had it for the last 10 years or so. As the years went on, I became more sensitive to more and more foods. I couldn't digest some and others were obvious triggers for a flare up. It wasn't until I found a new GI doctor that actually deals with the root cause of IBS and not just the symptoms that I can now pretty much eat any vegetable I want without is messing with me.

An easy try is digestive enzymes, Rainbow Light makes a good one. But seriously, there is a root problem to IBS, which is usually a bacterial imbalance in your gut or a fungus overgrowth in your gut causing inflammation.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    I have IBD (Crohns) and as a result my system often can't deal with raw vegetables or even fiber heavy fruit like apples. You can still maintain a healthy diet, as raw veg isn't the end all be all of a healthy diet. I eat the vast majority of my vegetables cooked which helps make it easier on my system. I look for lower fiber fruit that won't be so difficult ultimate to digest. In the end, with IBS or IBD, I think that, if your body can't digest it properly, it's not helping anyway. But each body is different. Experiment and figure out how much, if any, raw veg your system can handle, then work from there. Oftentimes, contrary to most other people, with IBM and IBD fiber simply is not your friend.