Do you reward yourself?

Options
I have been setting up rewards for myself for motivation. When I lose 5 pounds I get to have a massage. When I lose the next 3 pounds after that, I get to buy a new outfit. And so on...does anyone else do this? I find it very motivating!

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I always considered it as well, but then my goals shifted away from weight loss and turned into harder to measure goals in fitness. I always told myself I would get a tattoo when I got my goal weight.. but that was almost ten years ago when I had an unhealthy goal in mind. I still want my tattoo though.. so who knows haha.

If rewards work for you, go for it. I especially like clothing based ones because there's less risk of slip backs. You're less likely to slip into old habits if it means not fitting into a new wardrobe. I personally know that with no intrinsic goals, I would stop after an extrinsic reward. It's probably the only area of my life that I'm completely self-motivated. But it all boils down to what works best for you and achieving your goals.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I just buy new clothes once I start to lose noticeable weight. :) I might do something different once I lose my first 10 lbs this time around but I don't know what lol.
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I wish I could more often , but gets expensive $ . I do on longer goal achievements like 20 lbs etc . My weight fluctuates by 4 lbs every day . I usually reward myself with a beer lol
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I congratulate my feet, cause they're kicking fat's *kitten*!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I did not do that when I was losing.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I reward myself every 10lbs or so. Usually new clothes, new workout pants or shirt or tennis shoes. Nothing too big, but things I do need as I continue to drop weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I make a new low in progress toward my goal, I get to do it again.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of how to reward myself when I make it to my final goal. I want to participate in the Disney Marathon next year. Hopefully I hit my goal by end of the year, just before the annual Christmas party at my job. It's a big expensive event with over 1500 in attendance. I'm buying an expensive dress at this high end boutique that's close to my job to wear to the event. So my reward is looking phenamonal at the Christmas party :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    During loss phase no. I am seriously considering getting tattooed after my 50 miler in October though...
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I reward myself for every 5kg lost I buy new workout clothes:)))
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've heard it helps some people but I can't understand it at all.
    For me the reaward is the weight loss. Why isn't it for you?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I typically invest the money back into things that make my workout more enjoyable: new running shoes, clothes, hairbands, music-related things (Just got myself a new Bluetooth speaker).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I bought a ring when I hit 50 pounds lost, that was it. I work in a women's clothing department, so I pretty much buy things if I like them/they fit/I can afford them
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have some rewards planned; when I hit my next major milestone, I'm getting a facial. This is not something I do regularly, so it's a little extra impetus to keep logging, tracking water, exercising, etc.
  • kathilynne3410
    kathilynne3410 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    that is a good one too
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I recently got serious about losing weight (again), I realized that I not only had been neglecting my weight, I have been neglecting many other things about my appearance. So I made up these goals:
    After my first 10 pounds: I started having my hair professionally dyed again, including highlights, and a great new haircut. I had been avoiding the Hair salon because I did not want to look at myself in the mirror that long.
    After my second 10 pounds, I am going to get botox again around my eyes and forehead. I think my thinner face will look younger and really add to that youthful look with less wrinkles!
    After my third 10 pounds, I am going to start getting manicures and pedicures again. I will be able to see my feet much better at that point, so I want them to look good.
    After my fourth 10 pounds, I am going to get a bikini wax. I have never done that before, but, I am hoping I will want to be out by my pool more, and will feel comfortable in a skimpier swimsuit, so....
    And of course when I get to my last 7 pounds it will be time to pull out all the Ann Taylor, Dillards and Macy's gift cards I have been saving over the last 4 years and buy myself a new wardrobe.