Question about keto recipes/eating? Am I doing this wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    i eat LCHF diet and i do eat broccoli, berries and salad. i feel like my eating habits are MUCH BETTER than when i was just eating whatever i wanted. (my arthritis is more in control, not nearly as much pain as before, my cholesterol is improving, i have very low BP and overall my health is improving as per my dr who prescribed this diet for me.)

yes you will increase your fat, and it's difficult at first, i CRAVED watermelon for my first week. LOL i think it's all about balance. look at fiber content and subtract it from carbs to get "net carbs."
    so for example, i used coconut flour to make our waffles last night, and it looks like alot of carbs, but it's mostly fiber. a 1/2 cup of broccoli only has 2 carbs.

***ETA: i had an avocado tonight, 12 carbs, but 10 of those are fiber, so only 2 net carbs + 21g fat--- that is a healthy fat.
    HTH :flowerforyou:

@2DUNNY I would love the waffle recipe!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Seem fine to me! Did you doctor give you any guidance sheet? Is this because of weight loss or other health reasons.

There is a difference in carb levels for low carb high fat diets and keto diets.

There is a wealth of knowledge and resources with the LCD group on myfitnesspal:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group or you could try
    dietdoctor.com

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    But losing weight is not the number one goal - I don't want to lose weight but die of a heart attack from only eating cheese, fats, and meat!

And these meals appeal to me like crazy - love love love them and they are delicious and make great meal planning (caseroles save all week) BUT I am worried that it's just a bunch of meat, fat, cheeses, veggies. Wanted to make sure I am not doing this the wrong way.

If you love the food carry on - it's perfectly healthy. I've been eating "tons of cheese, fats and meat" for the last five years without issue, just the opposite, my health has improved. The majority of the meat I eat is beef and my added fats are mainly animal fats (butter, tallow, lard) with some coconut and olive oils. I also eat fruit, nuts, beans and a lot of vegetables most days just because I like them but meat and fat is the foundation of my diet.

• My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your Dr suggested something without giving you the WHYs of why he thought you could benefit from keto.
    Do some research (both you and your wife). this is a website from England for families of kids prescribed keto because of seizures, they have great info on keto, recipes, and youtube channel for cooking videos. http://www.matthewsfriends.org/
    You don't have to have creamy dressing bases you can do vinaigrettes if you prefer (just no sugars)
    If you are having blood sugar issues you should really get it and your weight under control. high carb foods spike blood sugar, Fat brings insulin, ghrelin and leptin into balance.

My husband went on keto about 4 1/2 months ago, he is a diabetic taking 2 different insulins a day (5 shots a day) and oral meds too. And his BG was going up. Now he is only on an oral med and his cholesterol is normal. he hopes to get off meds for diabetes completely.
    I decided around a month into the diet change that the whole family would join in. I didn't want there to be any reason for my husband to fail. I've lost 34 lbs and feel so much better my cholesterol has gone down more than 100 points. Our whole family feels better. We eat lots of veggies (that's where are carbs are from, our fats come from avocados, cheese, meat, coconut oil, nuts and some butter, our protein is from meat, cheese, and nuts. so as you can see many foods do double duty.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is research. The link to the LCHF group is a good one. Remember it is fat to SATIETY not a license to overload yourself with it. I think this is where a lot of people get messed up. There is no need to put butter in your coffee unless you like it that way. Personally it sounds hideous to me so I don't do it. Use common sense. Want to fry a porkchop? Try a tablespoon of coconut oil. Not 1/2 a cup. See the difference? Don't get caught up in all the extra stuff. Change your habits slowly. Remove the carbs and add the fat a bit at a time and learn when you are full. You'll be fine!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i truely believe that intramyocellular fat is the problem if you are a type 2 diabetic... its all teh fat that gets into our cells that wont let the insulin in to help get rid of the glucose..... i have done all the ways of eating... just for me, i feel cleaner and my numbers come down to normal when i am eating a plant based whole foods diet.... it just works for me... Dr. Michael Greger is the man!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    OR ?????????
  • everyusernamewastakenso
    Options
    You need protein and fats in keto. It might seem odd at first so start slow. Focus on the protein aspect, look for lean cuts. Always stick to your proper calorie needs and try to do some type of exercise. Once you master that start to incorporate fats like cheese as a snack into your your diet.