Lets talk FLEXIBILITY!

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Hypermobility is an issue, outside of EDS then it's really important to make sure you are strong and stabilise all those joints. As soon as I slack off my back gets pretty angry with me because my core is less able to support my back as it needs.

That said, flexibility, certainly not to the degree many in this thread aspire to, is proven to be beneficial into old age along with strength training. Simple things like bending down/over to tie a shoelace, put a bra/top/trousers on, getting in and out of cars. All the little things we take for granted when young and able bodied.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Not much for flexibility here. It seems my lower legs in particular just don't respond that much. With some back issues, working on certain areas is really tough as well. Certain stretches and some yoga do help a little bit, but no major changes over the years. I've never been very flexible, even in my younger years. I guess it's never bothered me, but it's hard to miss what you never had.

Bookmarked for ideas that might help.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Doing a split, while described as a flexibility exercise is really more of a mobility exercise. There are physiological differences between flexibility and mobility, although unless you've got an issue with one or the other, most people don't know the difference.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I can do back bends, a side split and working towards being able to do a middle split.

Although I was never involved in dance or gymnastics etc., I've always been pretty flexible and limber even when I was heavy.

In grade 7 we all had to take a standardized fitness test. For one exercise we had to sit on the floor with our legs together and stretch out as far as we could. I can still see my gym teacher's confused face looking and checking to see if I, this chubby non-athletic girl was cheating. lol

Now, the combination of the stretches/work we do in my pole fitness class, Pilates (I have a Reformer at home) and I always do a thorough stretch with each cool down seem to have taken my flexibility to the next level. I think the key for me has been to stay consistent with it.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Again great tips/comments and videos!! Thanks Folks! I really appreciate it. :-)

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Lifting with full range of motion is all the flexibility I need.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    For the forward bend/toe touch, rowing got me there, but it took a while. ;)

I could just touch my toes at the start, got to being able to put both palms on the floor (straight legged), even while still obese. Now, thin (and old, 61), it's easy, and I'm working on seeing how far I can bend my elbows. Legs not short, arms not long.

(Rowing both builds, and benefits from, hamstring flexibility. That's why I care. I don't really understand why so many people seem to want to argue you out of your goals.)

When I was younger, yoga worked for me, too, especially the seated forward bends:

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/seated-forward-bend

Notice the modifications & preparatories toward the bottom of the page.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I could just touch my toes at the start, got to being able to put both palms on the floor (straight legged), even while still obese. Now, thin (and old, 61), it's easy, and I'm working on seeing how far I can bend my elbows. Legs not short, arms not long.

(Rowing both builds, and benefits from, hamstring flexibility. That's why I care. I don't really understand why so many people seem to want to argue you out of your goals.)

When I was younger, yoga worked for me, too, especially the seated forward bends:

No kidding! I can't think of any practical reason for me to deadlift 200 pounds and yet no one has tried to talk me out of trying!
  • ijsantos2005
    Options

No kidding! I can't think of any practical reason for me to deadlift 200 pounds and yet no one has tried to talk me out of trying!

Seriously, that's probably the single most practical thing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

There's no reason I need to be able to run 13.1 miles in less than 2 hours, 17 minutes and 35 seconds but I'm still gonna try next race! :laugh:
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I am going to go on powerlifting threads this week and tell the posters their goals are unnecessary for daily life.

I bet that'll go down REALLY well. :D
  • ijsantos2005
    Options

I am going to go on powerlifting threads this week and tell the posters their goals are unnecessary for daily life.

I can't tell if you misinterpreted what I said or you're just being silly.

Bending over and picking things up is the most useful movement to train.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    There actually is no gain to being super bendy. The important thing is to eat right and exercise.

Actually, being super bendy can be a detriment. Just ask anyone with any hypermobility syndrome. I would very happily give any of you my ability to do a split if in exchange someone would give me knees, shoulders, and ankles with bones that stay where they belong.

The middle splits video - when she got to frog I laughed out loud. That's how I slept as a kid, except I usually drapped my feet off opposite sides of the bed. :open_mouth:
    I fully acknowledge that dislocations suck hard, and I'm guessing you have fairly major hypermobility issues.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited July 2017
    Options

I'm taking the mickey out of your conviction that your hobby and the exercises that support YOUR hobby are the only valid form of physical activity. ;)

Currently, I don't lift. I may do in the future, but if I do, it will be purely as an adjunct to assist and improve my development in MY hobby, which happens to benefit from high flexibility. It will not be something I pursue for itself, and that is fine.

There are a lot of sports out there, and they all require a slightly different skillset; we work on the one appropriate for the one we're into, if any.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Can't bend over and pick anything up very easily if you're stiff as a board......There are a lot of people who can't hinge from the hip with their back straight low enough to pick up the bar/weights. But yeah, DL 200lbs is way more practical.
  • ijsantos2005
    Options

I'm taking the mickey out of your conviction that your hobby and the exercises that support YOUR hobby are the only valid form of physical activity. ;)

Currently, I don't lift. I may do in the future, but if I do, it will be purely as an adjunct to assist and improve my development in MY hobby, which happens to benefit from high flexibility. It will not be something I pursue for itself, and that is fine.

There are a lot of sports out there, and they all require a slightly different skillset; we work on the one appropriate for the one we're into, if any.

My comment was based on physiology and basic human movements. It didn't have anything to do with my hobbies.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    edited July 2017
    Options

My comment was based on physiology and basic human movements. It didn't have anything to do with my hobbies.

Pretty much irrelevant then, wasn't it? Urinating on the party's barbecue just for the sake of it, in fact.

I think it was pretty clear that people in this thread didn't set their flexibility goals because they were concerned about performing basic human movements or solely for benefiting personal health...
  • ijsantos2005
    Options

Pretty much irrelevant then, wasn't it? Urinating on the party's barbecue just for the sake of it, in fact.

I think it was pretty clear that people in this thread didn't set their flexibility goals because they were concerned about performing basic human movements or solely for benefiting personal health...

I didn't realize that this was a barbecue or that I was urinating on it, my apologies.

If it was irrelevant, why are you giving so much attention to it?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options

I didn't realize that this was a barbecue or that I was urinating on it, my apologies.

If it was irrelevant, why are you giving so much attention to it?
    Because it amused me to do so! Why else?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I definitely have flexibility goals but not as advanced as doing the splits. Right now, I want to be able to grab my heel behind me and hold it to my butt with my knees together. I also want to be able to put one foot on top of the other leg so I can do my own nails. I am getting there on both. We will decide on the next goals once I have achieved these.