Women over 50- would love to hear from you!

Options
So I'm over 50, post menopausal, and it is really hard to lose weight at this stage in my life. Through out my life it has always been easy for me, but now even when I restrict myself to a certain number of calories, walk 2 hours a day (I hate the gym but love walking my dog) I still don't lose much. I am 5'3" and weigh 164 pounds. My goal is 140. Any suggestions, motivation, support appreciated!

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have been doing MFP for two months. My only suggestions are to log as accurately as possible (weigh your food portions on a scale, or use cups to measure) and don't deprive yourself of the foods you love. I just budget for treats. I might eat a light breakfast and lunch, then have a reasonable dinner with dessert. As long as it fits within your calorie goal, you'll lose weight.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a message - feel free to friend me. Been on MFP for almost 4 years, I'm 51. It's totally possible - you just need to work at it!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    59 here, I lost 25 pounds that I gained after menopause. It's a total lifestyle change. I've kept it off for 5 years so far. First I just counted calories on MFP, then realized my muscles were going along with my fat so started New Rules of Lifting for Women. I liked it so much I bought all his other books and started lifting heavy. Yup, I'm addicted to weight lifting and I love it. Never cared for cardio much. Basically, you have to eat protein, fat, and complex carbs. It's hard to transition from the SAD. Standard American Diet where pizza is dinner. Hope you like chicken! And massive amounts of veggies. The upside to all the food restrictions is your energy is thru the roof and you feel young and strong.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    60, female , post menopausal (obviously) , 5ft 1" and 145 lbs.
    I will lose another 10 -14 lbs. I walk dog and horse ride as main exercise.
    The most difficult challenge is complacency. I want to lose - but actually rather like the size I am now (UK size 10). I am losing slowly - but it has to fit in with my life. Reality is I'm fitter and more active than a lot of women 10 years younger than me. That said I'm not in healthy bmi range. (Lots of controversy about bmi - I see it as a pragmatic indicator of a healthy weight).
  • loslunasjerri87031
    loslunasjerri87031 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    60 yrs young! Post m, needing to loose 30 more pounds. Realizing it's the combo of the foods that's keeping the weight on. Dumped my red wine as of a week ago and am noticing positive changes. I truly believe my attitude has to change before I can change physically. Budgeting calories will not work in the long run, I will fall back on the old habits that put me in the position I find myself in now. Now trying to look at food as nothing more than fuel. It helps a lot!
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    57 here and I lost about 15 lbs in a 8-10 month period a year and a half ago. I currently yo-yo up and down within a 5 lb range, due to arthritis flareups limiting exercise. right now I'm on the upside and would like to go back down, but I am actually at a pretty comfortable weight for my height: 5'4" and 133lbs. I find that limiting red meat and sugar really help me stay within my goals (and keep inflammation down). If I want a treat, I have a single square of 70% dark chocolate (I'm a chocoholic), then brush my teeth to prevent further snacking. For exercise I walk, do low impact aerobics and strength training (mild stuff). I love exercise DVDs because I can't always get outside to exercise and I don't like public gyms.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Making mini goals helps me, check out this group and join us. We start a new thread each week with small attainable, mini goals. Even if you don't meet goals. The goal is to stay mindful and be consistent not perfect and if you do this you will eventually reach your mini goals. Check out link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/625-mini-goal-one-week-challenge
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    hi I'm 61 years old and have lost 80#s in the last 8 years. unfortunately it was the same 20#s 4 times. I have resigned myself to having to track everything I eat for forever. I am finding that focusing on eating 100 grams of protein has been very helpful for me. it's nice to worry about getting more of something than less. I also find that protein assuages my hunger.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    PS - I love over 50 friends with open food diaries.