Finding Love Whilst Losing Weight?

Options
I read somewhere not to find a (boyfriend/girlfriend) whilst losing weight or for at least a year afterwards. Personally, I put on 10 kilos with my first relationship. Whilst I am also trying to gain a healthy selfesteem... What does everyone think? ?

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started dating my boyfriend 2 months ago, and I've continued losing weight. I just account for the dinners out and the ice cream dates through exercise and discipline otherwise.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it is not possible and we necessarily always put on weight but someone said just to focus on yourself whilst losing weight or something ...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your 19, don't worry about it. Go get a boyfriend and go have fun.
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    cool can i use that excuse to why im single & no hope of anything on the cards :grumble: :grumble:
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your 19, don't worry about it. Go get a boyfriend and go have fun.

I agree just go out and enjoy life!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight after dropping a girlfriend who was actually unsupported of my gym/eating habits in the beginning of the summer. Needless to say I lost 10 lbs while I was with her, and now I've lost a total of almost 30. It's my motivations! One day she'll look back and be like...damnit...haha
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably a good idea. I know in the past every time I have started doing well then start dating someone, all my work goes out the window and I quit paying attention to ME. BUT, if you meet someone you meet someone, no reason to pass the chance up if they're worth dating. Somehow saying "Sorry, I can't date you because I'm losing weight then I have to wait a year after, so call me in 2013." just doesn't seem realistic. I would say if you WANT to date while losing weight, do it, just try to remember to stay focused on your goals.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've dated throughout my entire weight loss and weight gain life. It's just part of who I am - and I change sizes! A lot!!

And I finally fell in love with "the one" almost 6 years ago. I was on FIRE with my weight loss at that time, and was about 20 lbs lighter. I've gained and lost that same 20, and hope to lose some more. He doesn't necessarily understand my "food crazy", but he supports me and staying healthy.

I say GO FOR IT!
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think if you meet someone while losing weight that yes it may be hard to stay focused but also you know that they are into you for you and now what you look like. If they are really into you then they will support your choice and do what they can to help you stay on track. Just my opinion but if they arent going to support you then they arent worth your time anyway.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I met Caleb I was about 265... went up to about 275 by the wedding. Last year I ballooned up to 310 and now three years into marriage and later after a bit of weight loss I'm back at 293 but I am also preggers right now ;) So yeah relationships can cause happy weight gain if you're not thinking bout it.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    Go for it. Everybody needs love. I think it may be easier to find someone now that you are on your journey rather than before because this is all he will know if you. He won't know the "old" you.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was a about 20 lbs lighter when my husband and I first started dating....and so was he. However, we both think it was due to overeating at home, consuming too much of the delicious healthy foods I cooked and not doing enough activity. We didn't put the weight on during the dating/dining out phase of our relationship.
    We have accomplished quite a lot as a team since we have been together --financially, career wise, and more. We also quit smoking and are getting healthier together.
    If you find someone who shares your goals as far as being healthy it will help, not hinder, your journey. That being said, it doesn't have to be a romantic interested...even a couple of new workout buddies would be a good addition :)
    And before I get off the soap box...at 19 you are a young adult, but there will most likely be a few great loves in your life....don't settle down to soon, and focus on experiencing things, traveling, learning, AND developing healthier habits while you are young. Love will find you when you are ready for it :)
  • MrsJax11
    Options
    I think if you meet someone while losing weight that yes it may be hard to stay focused but also you know that they are into you for you and now what you look like. If they are really into you then they will support your choice and do what they can to help you stay on track. Just my opinion but if they arent going to support you then they arent worth your time anyway.

This is so true! My wedding photos are what prompted me to get back on the health bandwagon....I feel good knowing that even at my biggest my husband loves me more than anything else, and that he is so supportive and a part of the process of getting into shape.
    Kudos for only gaining 30 with the pregnancy, too! That is quite an accomplishment!
  • TiffyCooper
    Options
    Maybe they are just looking at statistics. When I met my hubby I was 40 lbs lighter than I am now. And that was nearly 2 1/2 years ago. Granted, I feel I am much better off now than I was then. <3
  • LYL353
    LYL353 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you want to date someone - do it. Losing weight and "dieting" is learning how to incorporate all aspects of your life into a healthy balance.

If you are really selfish with your time and energy now - while losing weight will you know how to automatically find the healthy balance with maintainance and dating later?
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I almost think it would be good to find someone while losing weight in some ways. That way you are finding someone who knows you are eating healthy and is supportive of that. I've seen a few posts on here about a significant other not being supportive or bringing junk food into the house and it being harder for the person on the diet. If they know you are doing it from the start they may be more supportive, who knows? Just my opinion...
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm convinced my husband has made me fat! He's obsessed with food (and naturally skinny). He asks me what's for dinner tomorrow while eating dinner today! So, I agree.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    If that were the case, some of us would never date/be single for life... Just like with everything else, the key is BALANCE.
  • MrsJax11
    Options
    cool can i use that excuse to why im single & no hope of anything on the cards :grumble: :grumble:

Don't give up :) You are beautiful, and you will find the perfect person for you! It may even be when you aren't expecting it!
    I met my love online of all places....I signed up on a dating site for shi*s and giggles when I first moved south...mostly my girlfriends and I would sit around and laugh about the creepers who messaged me...then I looked for some friends to go to concerts and stuff with on the site. I had no intention of seriously dating anyone, and when I first met my hubby I told him I NEVER wanted to be married again. Well....I guess he changed my opinion there!
    Keep doing what ever it is that you enjoy and makes you happy...your turn is coming!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it is not possible and we necessarily always put on weight but someone said just to focus on yourself whilst losing weight or something ...

Well if you know it is possible then... that is your answer. I think it depends on you as a person. Are you Independent or do you wrap yourself up in whomever you are dating? If things are going good, bad or ugly would you still stay on track? There are things in life that can derail you but, a boyfriend or gf never should. What the person meant( I am guessing) is if you cant operate on that level of independence, then focus on you and only you until you can. If you loose yourself in others then you need to not date until your goals are met. You would also ( if you met your goals) have to adjust to the new attention you might get hence teh year or so of waiting. If you were at you goal would you jump after the first guy that said you were hot if you didn't know much about him? If he was a jerk? I think it is more about finding yourself and standing on your own two feet , doing what is ALWAYS right for you rather than dealing with weightloss in general.At 19 that is important but, does not mean you cant date just that you should be more aware of you, what you need, want...know that if you brake up with a guy you still need to take care of yourself. I know when I was dating and younger I could not do that. It took me till I was 21 to be able to know what standing on my own two feet really meant ( relationship wise) and I think that is helping me with my journey now.