Uncomfortable knee pain, lower part of knee

Options
13»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Eva_M97 wrote: »
    You said you did strength training, could it be a mobility issue not a strength issue? Maybe your quads are too tight and pulling at your knee cap causing it to track incorrectly? Do you use a foam roller?

No I don't have a foam roller. But I would say I may not stretch enough so yeah I might be a bit tight :/

If you're going to keep running, you should invest in a foam roller, learn to use it, and use it regularly.

And with respect to giving you knee a rest while working on your supporting muscles... Maybe it's a good time to consult with an orthopaed/physical therapist? Definitely avoid anything that causes a lot of knee movement and impact--especially running. Google exercises for hip strength--sometime that is notorious lacking in runners and often leads to knee issues--here's a few exercises to start:

https://www.facebook.com/RunnersWorld/videos/10153906039546987/

I'd lay off the lunges and squats until your knee starts to feel better.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tbh I'm kinda confused, like right now when it's still painful should I use it and do exercises to help build the supporting muscle, or not use it and get rest on it until the pain is gone?

Rest it. This shouldn't be difficult. You've given yourself an overuse injury, so stop using it until the pain goes away. Once the pain has eased you've got the opportunity to treat the cause. Starting from the simplest level, reduce your running volume and follow the plan as it's designed, rather than just doing your own thing.

You may wish to try a different pair of shoes. Personally I'm not a big advocate of gait analysis for new runners, so I'm not going to suggest that you need a different pair of shoes, unless there is a continuing problem.

Strength training of some kind can be beneficial to runners. That's just a question of sticking with a plan, and again not doing your own thing unless you really understand the topic. It's not going to solve an overuse situation though.

And I'd really suggest seeing a physio. You'll see there is a reasonable divergence of opinion on here. Some of the advice is good, some not so much. You could end up doing more harm than good from following the flawed advice.
  • Eva_M97
    Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for all the advice though !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Is your knee getting any better? Have you been resting it?
  • nicolabradley87
    nicolabradley87 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You've been given lots of advice here, all of the suggestions of what it could be could be correct. As a physio who sees a lot of runners it is almost always a strength / muscle firing issue causing 'patellofemoral pain syndrome' (blanket term) however the reasons for having it can be different in different people - eg weak quads, weak glutes, hypermobile knee, ITB tighness. You really need to see someone so that they can identify your specific problem. I would also say that the earlier you see someone, the easier it is for them to identify the main problem - as time goes on compensations can arise and make it more difficult.

Good luck
  • davidware5144
    davidware5144 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging pretty much every day for a bit over a month (partly walking at first, jogging increased over time, lately been doing 5km jogs) , about a week ago I got a slight pain on my left knee but it didn't bother me, however now it's really started to feel uncomfortable. I rested my knee for a day, but over today it has gotten back as strong as before. To be exact the pain is at the very front of the left knee, on the lower part under the kneecap where you can feel through skin some softer tissue. I always run on forest path, which is rather soft ground, warm up walk and wear Adidas supernovas. Should I be worried/ do something to ease it/ just let it rest?

Check these guys out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNO8ytjYh8 found them a great help
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,705 Member
    Options
    It's likely Patellar tendonitis. Common in people who run and is an issue with repetitive movement on that tendon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Eva_M97
    Options

Is your knee getting any better? Have you been resting it?

It is, thank you. I rested it for 2 days straight and put ice on it when it hurt, went jogging again yesterday sInce it didn't hurt anymore. Stretched well afterwards and pain hasn't come back so far.
  • Eva_M97
    Options
    Trying to tread carefully though, I'll probably try some strength exercising on my legs today or tomorrow, just hoping it won't make the pain come back :/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging pretty much every day for a bit over a month (partly walking at first, jogging increased over time, lately been doing 5km jogs) , about a week ago I got a slight pain on my left knee but it didn't bother me, however now it's really started to feel uncomfortable. I rested my knee for a day, but over today it has gotten back as strong as before. To be exact the pain is at the very front of the left knee, on the lower part under the kneecap where you can feel through skin some softer tissue. I always run on forest path, which is rather soft ground, warm up walk and wear Adidas supernovas. Should I be worried/ do something to ease it/ just let it rest?

See an ortho. Sounds like you may have a meniscus tear.