Obese diabetic needing help

Options
Hi there. I am an obese diabetic needing help to lose weight. I am very unfit and have bad knees so finding exercise options is difficult.

I could sure use any encouragement by email to: ergodoctor@yahoo.com.

I also enjoy cooking and baking and constantly look for new recipes and trying them. So if you need ideas or have some to share, let me know.

Bye for now.

Henry

Replies

• ergodoc
    Options
    Hi there. I am an obese diabetic needing help to lose weight. I am very unfit and have bad knees so finding exercise options is difficult.

I could sure use any encouragement by email to: ergodoctor@yahoo.com.

I also enjoy cooking and baking and constantly look for new recipes and trying them. So if you need ideas or have some to share, let me know.

Bye for now.

Henry
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Welcome Henry!:flowerforyou: I use an recumbent bike for exercise and it really helps my knees instead of hurting them. I also use Walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone and it is very low impact.

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you'll find MFP to be a great tool in getting to your health and fitness goals! I know it's easy to get discouraged, but you can do this if you stick to it!
  • uvbnhoodwinked
    Options
    I got an e-mail a while ago and it was all about honey and cinnamon (ground). One of facts was that if you make a drink out of them it will help you lose weight without exercise (I call it tea). I tried it and it worked. All you have to do is boil water them put it in a cup and add the honey and cinnamon until it tastes good.

I use 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of honey.

Watch out if you use too much cinnamon it tastes weird becasue it doesn't dissolve.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Hi Henry and welcome! You should post some of your recipes on MFP's forum, I'm sure TONs of people would love to try them.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    I got an e-mail a while ago and it was all about honey and cinnamon (ground). One of facts was that if you make a drink out of them it will help you lose weight without exercise (I call it tea). I tried it and it worked. All you have to do is boil water them put it in a cup and add the honey and cinnamon until it tastes good.

Watch out if you use too much cinnamon it tastes weird becasue it doesn't dissolve.

Don't listen to this -- it's crap. There is no magical cure to weight loss. It's all about calories in, calories out. Watch what you eat and get your body moving.

I really think you should check out Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes -> http://www.nealbarnard.org/diabetes_book.htm

EDIT: as far as exercise options go, a recumbent or stationary bike is probably going to be the best way to get your heart rate up. Do you have access to a pool or a rowing machine? Those are two of my other favorite low-impact exercises. Strength training is key, too.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Welcome!!!

For exercise, could you do water aerobics at your local gym or YMCA. That's supposed to be great for naughty joints and the water also provides automatic resistance training, so you're hitting yourself for two bonuses in one whack.
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • beagle595
    Options
    Welcome aboard Henry! You can do this! Get healthy! Watch your carbs, drink your water and flush the sweets out of your system. Stay very strict for a couple of days and you will feel better. (*Stop baking until you can control your urges. The scent stays in the air too long and stimulates your appetite.) Diabetes is a horrible disease and hard to maintain your sugar levels. (I only had a taste of Diabetes when I had Gestational Diabetes with my second pregnancy. I was on 2 insulin shots a day. Very hard to control the diabetes/ the Placenta-baby makes the rules. And with all the pregnancy cravings... I went nuts but was strict to the penny/ didn't want to hurt my baby or me. ). Regarding cinnamon.. Dr. Oz on Oprah said Cinnamon is excellent in anything, your coffee, tea, oatmeal... and it does do something to the sugar in your blood... He said great for diabetics... Google it! )Everyone here is wonderful and supportive. Best of health to you and Be Well! :flowerforyou: (**Is there spellcheck on MFP???)
  • beagle595
    Options

IS THIS A JOKE! IF IT IS YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE! DIABETICS CAN'T HAVE HONEY especially this amount at once...Tooo high in carbohydrates 17.3 GRAMS/TABLESPOON & 17.2 GRAMS OF SUGAR/TABLESPOON. It wil not make anyone lose weight. You're going to have problems if you believe every email you receive. The email you got was bogus. :noway: