I'm just starting out, but NOT seeing ANY RESULTS!! I'm getting sooo discouraged!!

Options
Hi there! My name is Kelly, and I've just been doing this for about 3 weeks now. Here's my problem...I'm 45 years old, I've cut out sugar, I've started hiking twice a day, and I've been pretty good about tracking all of my food. I'm not eating anything after 8 pm, and drinking only water, with the exception of one cup of coffee in the morning. I know I've only been doing it for three weeks, but I've only lost ounces!! OUNCES!!! And this morning....I actually weighed MORE!! WTH??? I'm getting very frustrated and feel like quiting!!! For me, I'm more active than I've EVER been, and I'm eating better than I EVER have!! So what's going on??? Can someone PLEASE help me out or offer some advice??? I would REALLY appreciate it!! Thank you!!

Replies

• Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What's your height and current weight?
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My tops tips -
    Weigh everything ( not cups or eyeball)
    Record everything
    Drink lots of water
    Use step tracker
    - it will work
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try not to lose patience. This app works over the long haul of it's worked correctly. As suggested earlier, consider opening your diary or at least give us a snapshot of one or two days. Do you take cream and/or sugar in the coffee? It's important to log that consistently.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    it depends very much what you call progress - I'm only on day 10 at 2300 cals per day but that's huge progress for me as I was eating that much for breakfast lunch and dinner before (hence need to lose 130)

keep doing the right thing
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You said you've been "pretty good about tracking everything". What is pretty good? You have to track everything, period, and with that, just tracking isn't enough. You need to weigh all food on a food scale so you are tracking the correct number of calories. Also, it hasn't been that long. Give it time, and weigh food correctly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • talman67
    talman67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, First let me say you rock for sticking with it for 3 weeks with few results. I am 48 year old female with about 20 lbs. to lose, and I have experienced that at times in the past. It helped me to make sure I was eating protein. Also be super careful with tracking food. No nibbles of this or that, most of the time. You also would want to add in more exercise if you can. Two hikes are great--but if you started lifting weights even a bit you would notice results fairly quickly. Did you fill out the goals section? It tells you how many calories a day to eat. Good luck!
  • reesecups111
    reesecups111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing great! Don't get discouraged! Every individual's body is different. I'm not an expert but what always helped me was not focusing so much on my weight number but instead measuring my problems area. If you're hiking there's a good chance you're gaining muscle in your legs so you're weight gain may be negligible. It sounds like you're doing great and weight loss or no it seems like you're certainly living a much healthier lifestyle. However, if you continue to see no results you're best bet would be to visit a certified dietician/weight doc/etc. who can give you specified advice.

Don't get discouraged! You can do it!.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You're really just going to need to be patient. I think the reason most diets fail is that people only think about the first goal: losing weight, and neglect the second goal: maintaining a lower weight. You want to be making changes now that will last, not temporary drastic measures but things you can live with. Maybe learning to love exercise is an early step for you - great! It probably won't help you lose much weight right now, but it's key for health and maintaining, so that is a big win. The scale will start moving once you start eating fewer calories than you spend. You might not see it day to day, because everyone's weight varies a few pounds for various reasons (salty food, getting your period, new exercise), but look for week to week and month to month trends.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you've started exercising, your body is adjusting, repairing, getting stronger. Everything is going to be out of whack for a bit. You're probably at least a little inflamed, holding extra fluid for repairs. It's fine, keep going, you're doing great!