Keto and Bulletproof Coffee

My fellow keto peeps. I have just introduced Bulletproof coffee with my intermittent fasting. It keeps me in fasting mode for 18 hours. It pushed me into hard core ketosis in 2 days. Does anyone else use this? Results?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    IDK. I fast every day for 18 hours and I don't do keto.

I'm glad you found something you find helpful, though.

Tell me, is what you're drinking less than 50 calories? I think the principle of IF is anything more than that is breaking the fast. I'm going to guess that keto proponents feel that as long as you're not raising blood glucose you're not breaking the fast?
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member

Tell me, is what you're drinking less than 50 calories? I think the principle of IF is anything more than that is breaking the fast. I'm going to guess that keto proponents feel that as long as you're not raising blood glucose you're not breaking the fast?

Right, it doesnt Its all calories from fat...I fast 16 but if I drink the coffee for breakfast I can go another 2 hours easy before eating. I only added the fasting 2 weeks ago. I really enjoy it. It's been a game changer for me.
  • stylistchicky

Right, it doesnt Its all calories from fat...I fast 16 but if I drink the coffee for breakfast I can go another 2 hours easy before eating. I only added the fasting 2 weeks ago. I really enjoy it. It's been a game changer for me.

Perhaps you need to revisit the definition of 'fasted?'

200 calories of *anything* does not allow you to remain in a fasted state. Regardless of what those calories are comprised of. :)

Maybe its a ketosis thing. My understanding is without the presence of glucose in the body it burns fat. I am not a pro. I end my fast with the coffee...going 16 hours without any calories. I add in the coffee as "breakfast" and can go till 2 without any actual food. In the above statement it was about pushing longer without actual food.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member

200 calories of *anything* does not allow you to remain in a fasted state. Regardless of what those calories are comprised of. :)

Maybe its a ketosis thing. My understanding is without the presence of glucose in the body it burns fat. I am not a pro. I end my fast with the coffee...going 16 hours without any calories. I add in the coffee as "breakfast" and can go till 2 without any actual food. In the above statement it was about pushing longer without actual food.

Without glucose, the body does burn fat but that's what the butter and mct oil in the coffee are, is what people are saying. Your body will burn those fats instead of your body fat. So, if the bpc is only helping you extend your fast two hours and you are only fasting to lose weight, you could skip it. But it doesn't sound like it's hurting you either. It's even possible that having that fat a couple of hours before you feast is keeping you from eating much in your eating window. So maybe don't skip it.

Sorry, I'm just over here arguing with myself. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    If you enjoy your coffee that way and it helps you keep your calories in check that's great, carry on, but "hard core ketosis" isn't really a thing in regards to weight loss.

High ketones are the result of breaking down large amounts of fat - which of course you'll do if you eat/drink a lot of fat - but that doesn't mean you're losing more body fat and will have better results than if you ate a similar amount of calories for breakfast.

I can only go by my results so far, none of my blood numbers have gone up, normal bp through out this processes. Down 20 lbs and 12 over all inches in 30 days. I ate a healthy balanced calorie restricted diet with daily exercise and didnt lose any weight for a year. I just had surgery and then serious complications with said surgery and I am out of the gym for 6 weeks. I was worried without exercise I would gain weight so I cut carbs. Instantly started losing weight. I have a non cancerous non operable tumor....Tumors love sugar all forms of it. Since I cut the carbs the tumor has shrunk and is less painful. To me that is all I need to know that I am doing whats good for my body.

You won't get any argument from me - I've been eating a fairly strict low carb diet for five years now. But your understanding of what's going on with the diet isn't really accurate. If you haven't yet join the Low Carber Daily group. There's lots of information and links to good information plus an active, friendly group of people to talk with, some with similar experiences. Best wishes. :)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    I love that Bulletproof coffee (although it could just be a regular medium roast coffee that the guy promotes, lol) or any single-origin coffee. To the former, I have it with tablespoon of unsalted butter, MCT oil and a scoop of whey protein isolate - yummo!!!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

What do you think your body does with the fat you drank with the coffee?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I tend to just have coffee with fats until the afternoon too. Sometimes I add a protein powder. It helps me keep my calories in check and I find the reduced appetite helps too. The MCTs in coconut are helpful to my health for the boosted ketones, although as others pointed out, it is not actually the ketones that help with fat loss - they are a by product that the brain can use for fuel.

Congrats on your losses and improved health! Keto sounds ideally suited for you! :). Do join the Low Carber Daily that was linked above. It is a great MFP group.
  • stylistchicky
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I tend to just have coffee with fats until the afternoon too. Sometimes I add a protein powder. It helps me keep my calories in check and I find the reduced appetite helps too. The MCTs in coconut are helpful to my health for the boosted ketones, although as others pointed out, it is not actually the ketones that help with fat loss - they are a by product that the brain can use for fuel.

Congrats on your losses and improved health! Keto sounds ideally suited for you! :). Do join the Low Carber Daily that was linked above. It is a great MFP group.

Yeah, I am still new. I just started by making recipes and see what my body does. I didnt know about the keto flu..yikes!
    I need to learn the biology of this because people are asking questions of how I am losing weight so fast.
  • nvmomketo

Yeah, I am still new. I just started by making recipes and see what my body does. I didnt know about the keto flu..yikes!
    I need to learn the biology of this because people are asking questions of how I am losing weight so fast.

Have you got your "keto flu" under control? I remember that I had a hard time believing that I needed 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. Knowing that there is 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt, I started adding a teaspoon of salt to water and coffee every day. It helped a lot.

The fast losses are motivating. I had a few LCHF converts when I list my weight too. Now I have another victory in that I have maintained long enough that people are forgetting that I was heavier a couple of years ago. ;)

The LCD group has a lot of resources listed in their launch pad. HOURS of reading and education. :)
  • stylistchicky

Have you got your "keto flu" under control? I remember that I had a hard time believing that I needed 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. Knowing that there is 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt, I started adding a teaspoon of salt to water and coffee every day. It helped a lot.

The fast losses are motivating. I had a few LCHF converts when I list my weight too. Now I have another victory in that I have maintained long enough that people are forgetting that I was heavier a couple of years ago. ;)

The LCD group has a lot of resources listed in their launch pad. HOURS of reading and education. :)

I requested to join. Looking forward to learning the how and why's of keto.
    Keto flu is better, just dealing with low energy...I'm still adjusting I think. If my energy levels dont improve I will play with my macros a bit.
  • nvmomketo

I requested to join. Looking forward to learning the how and why's of keto.
    Keto flu is better, just dealing with low energy...I'm still adjusting I think. If my energy levels dont improve I will play with my macros a bit.

There is often a slight energy dip in the first few weeks of eating keto as your body becomes fat adapted. It should be slight though. If your fatigue is quite noticeable, you may still need more electrolytes (sodium, potassium and magnesium) as fatigue, brain fog, headaches, stomach issues, muscle weakness and aches are common symptoms.

See you in the LCD group. :)
  • jonlefave
    jonlefave Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2017
    Your body will burn body fat regardless. Long term studies of both low carb and high carb dieting show similar fat loss.

I usually break my fast with 2 pounds of mangos... I went from 210lbs to 180lbs in a few months.

It's about what ever makes your calorie restriction easier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    JPNWV1 wrote: »
    Is there evidence that the body is burning fat while taking in calories?

I've heard that it doesn't.

I lost a whole lot of fat without fasting, so that's good evidence to me.
  • JPNWV1
    JPNWV1 Posts: 4 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    JPNWV1 wrote: »
    Is there evidence that the body is burning fat while taking in calories?

I've heard that it doesn't.

I lost a whole lot of fat without fasting, so that's good evidence to me.

Are you on the Keto Diet?
  • JPNWV1
    JPNWV1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    jonlefave wrote: »
    Your body will burn body fat regardless. Long term studies of both low carb and high carb dieting show similar fat loss.

I usually break my fast with 2 pounds of mangos... I went from 210lbs to 180lbs in a few months.

It's about what ever makes your calorie restriction easier.

Then why do people do a low carb diet since fat is being burned whether they are on a low carb diet or a high carb diet?