Questioning Chosen Activity Level

Options
I have been using the app for 8 weeks and chose "lightly active". I have a desk job, but workout about 5 days a week and walk almost everyday. My daily calories don't seem to be enough. I am hungry alot. I am wondering if l should change it to moderately active. Suggestions please and thanks.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Activity level is supposed to be based upon your general daily activity outside of exercise. Exercise is added separately in the Exercise Diary and you get additional calories that way. Some feel that too many calories get added so they only eat back 50% or so of those added exercise calories at the beginning and then adjust how many they eat back based upon results over time.

• zannatagged
    zannatagged Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I'm only new but I chose the same, lightly active. I'm disabled but have to look after my elderly parents and still try to do as much as possible in between my traction time and icing. Walking, modified yoga etc. so I'm thinking you should definitely bump yours up lol. ;) have a super weekend.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What is your weight doing compared to what you want it to do. If you are okay with losing a bit more slowly, then increase your intake. It doesn't have to be a torturous process.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think it's all guessing in the beginning. You just pick something that seems reasonable then dial it in over time. I don't even think you need to mess with your activity level. Mess with your calorie allowance directly until you find one that works for you.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    What is your weight doing compared to what you want it to do. If you are okay with losing a bit more slowly, then increase your intake. It doesn't have to be a torturous process.

I second this advice.
  • mikeandlindasept15
    mikeandlindasept15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I have lost about one pound a week so far. I know it is just a guide, keeping me in line. Thanks.
  • mikeandlindasept15
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Activity level is supposed to be based upon your general daily activity outside of exercise. Exercise is added separately in the Exercise Diary and you get additional calories that way. Some feel that too many calories get added so they only eat back 50% or so of those added exercise calories at the beginning and then adjust how many they eat back based upon results over time.

Thanks, l don't like to use my exercise calories, only when necessary (but not all of them).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I have lost about one pound a week so far. I know it is just a guide, keeping me in line. Thanks.

If you don't have far to go, or you are happy enough to lose more slowly, then certainly increase it a bit. Sometimes even 100 calories extra can make a big difference. Alternatively, look over your logs and see if there are ways you can tweak your diet. Try increasing fat, or fibre, or protein. Try increasing carbs, or veggies. Everyone will have dietary choices they find more filling. Play around with it. Hope you find a happy medium!
  • mikeandlindasept15
    Options
    Hi there :) I'm only new but I chose the same, lightly active. I'm disabled but have to look after my elderly parents and still try to do as much as possible in between my traction time and icing. Walking, modified yoga etc. so I'm thinking you should definitely bump yours up lol. ;) have a super weekend.

Thanks for the help!
  • mikeandlindasept15
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I think it's all guessing in the beginning. You just pick something that seems reasonable then dial it in over time. I don't even think you need to mess with your activity level. Mess with your calorie allowance directly until you find one that works for you.

Thanks!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Thanks, l don't like to use my exercise calories, only when necessary (but not all of them).

That is why you are hungry a lot. You should be eating back at least some if those calories.