Losing motivation

Options
Hi all, just needing to rant and let it out.

I've been working out pretty consistent for the last 2-3 years, having time off every now and then as I am a dairy farmer and work can be very full on at some times but I always get back to working out, was traveling an hour to the gym almost every day for a year, lost 10kgs in the first few months of that, now the last couple years I've bought a squat rack, cable machine, bench, weights and bars, Dumbbells, and cardio bike, rowing machine and cross trainer. I have everything I need, but I struggle with giving it 110%, I feel like if I burn x amount of calories it's good enough but really I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm terrible at tracking calories, I don't know how to do macro stuff, I'm lost. The weight comes off and comes straight back on when I stop working out for a day or two. I religiously counted calories for a few months so even tho I don't track I am aware of some things, I just don't quite understand the carb, fat, protein importance. Fat and carbs seem to b in everything! The only packet thing I really eat is bread, rice, noodles, which I know they are carbs but everything else is veges and meat, and fruit. Meat is usually beef, grown on my farm. Veges fresh and frozen from store.
I'm feeling like I'm never going to feel good!! I hate it, I feel like I'm doing good but when I look in the mirror I don't see the progress!! For the last year I've been going up and down 3 kgs. It won't stay off. I'm getting so annoyed.
My partner used to workout a lot but he lost his motivation after an injury now he doesn't work out at all. He eats soo much more than me, he goes to work which is hard but I do that too, then he comes home, I cook him lunch and tea even tho I had work too, he sits on his Butt and watches tv while I do my 1-2hr workout. But even tho he hasn't worked out for nearly a year he still has an 8pack of *kitten* abs, every muscle on his body is defined and I'm trying to get anywhere close to being toned and it won't work. I want some of that tight body that I'm working for, he doesn't do anything and he's still fit!!! How's it fair?!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Sadly, all the exercise in the world is not going to help if you don't get a handle on the calorie intake part of the equation. Exercise is great for health and fitness, but if you're eating too many calories you aren't going to get the weight loss results you want.

All food is made up of a combination of protein, fat and carbs (some foods are one, some two, a lot contain all three). They provide your body with calories - protein and carbs, 4 cals per gram, fat 9 cals per gram.

Don't focus too much on macros until you've got the calorie counting part down - work on weighing all solids, measuring all liquid and accurately logging everything you put in your mouth. Once you feel comfortable doing that, look at your macros. Prelog your food and readjust amounts to get a macro breakdown you're happy with. (I go with about 0.8g per lb for protien, 0.35g per lb for fat and carbs make up rest of my cals.)

• imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well with a body like that you know what you're talking about ! I better start recording everything
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    imtrying22 wrote: »
    Well with a body like that you know what you're talking about ! I better start recording everything

Don't let physiques trick you. It simply shows I know how to stick to my diet/deficit really well - if I eat too much, I still have the same muscles, they're just covered in pudge, the amount of pudge is determined by how much "too much" is ;) diet is really the key to getting lean!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Keep up the training though. It'll help you retain your muscles as you diet. And don't compare yourself to your partner - men can naturally eat more because of their size and makeup, he's active at work etc. My husband loses easier than me too, which is frustrating sometimes, but it is what it is!
  • imtrying22
    imtrying22 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Any tips on places to get meal ideas? When I first started I pretty much cut out sugar/ probably not all the sugar but no sweets or drinks dessert. That was hard but do able, the hard part was just eating salad with a salmon or chicken it was boring.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    imtrying22 wrote: »
    Any tips on places to get meal ideas? When I first started I pretty much cut out sugar/ probably not all the sugar but no sweets or drinks dessert. That was hard but do able, the hard part was just eating salad with a salmon or chicken it was boring.

Dieting isn't supposed to be boring. Eat foods you like, just make them fit your calories. My main meals are based around protein and vegies, with fat added, but I also eat dessert every night (even during comp prep)