Thinking about starting this keto diet

Options
Pros and cons anyone? :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Going on a diet, any diet, seems to almost always create a rebound effect. Not saying that it will happen to you, but it happens to 99.99999% percent of the population.

Instead, figure out what creates weight loss (for everybody), and what you (as an individual) have to do to make it happen. Keto may or may not be a good match for you, but I get from your wording that you haven't mustered determination to do what it takes, nor gathered sufficient information about keto, yet. I really recommend you do those two things first.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Take your time before committing. I did a solid 2 months of research before I started. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. However it's not for everyone! I dont miss the things I dont eat and love the things I do so it works for me.

It's not some sort of magic. Weight loss rules still apply. And if you are a volume eater it may not be a good way for you. It is a total lifestyle change.
  • Pumpkin34_160
    Pumpkin34_160 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Going on a diet, any diet, seems to almost always create a rebound effect. Not saying that it will happen to you, but it happens to 99.99999% percent of the population.

Instead, figure out what creates weight loss (for everybody), and what you (as an individual) have to do to make it happen. Keto may or may not be a good match for you, but I get from your wording that you haven't mustered determination to do what it takes, nor gathered sufficient information about keto, yet. I really recommend you do those two things first.

Honestly, I haven't figured out anything which is why I keep battling with weigh. From what I see with the high fat low carb diet it looks possible. Not to mention it looks like something I can stick too. I was just wondering what the cons are.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Take your time before committing. I did a solid 2 months of research before I started. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. However it's not for everyone! I dont miss the things I dont eat and love the things I do so it works for me.

It's not some sort of magic. Weight loss rules still apply. And if you are a volume eater it may not be a good way for you. It is a total lifestyle change.

This for sure - it's a serious change that should not be jumped into without knowledge. It works for me- but I'd prefer a less stringent approach.
  • Pumpkin34_160
    Options
    I'm definitely going to look into this diet more. Thank you all so much for your feedback! ❤️❤️❤️
  • Pumpkin34_160
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I'll just chime in that I did low carb, but not quite keto (55-75g net carbs a day) for about 9 months and lost 60lbs+ in that time.

Pros
    Simple plan, which makes adherence easier
    Lots of water weight loss in the beginning, creating a positive feedback cycle (mentally I mean)
    Fibre + protein + fat = improved satiety for many, making it easier to not overeat
    Can help with glucose control for those who are insulin-resistant because not as much glucose is consumed.

Cons
    Carb flu can be caused by low electrolytes
    Constipation or diarrhea (but not for everyone)
    Personally, I couldn't do strength training while LCHF. Hit a wall too soon.
    It gets boring after a while.
    You can still overeat if you aren't careful because of how calorie-dense fatty foods are

How do I join this group
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    One con not mentioned yet: keto breath. Ketosis makes your breath smell bad.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Do you feel like this is something you can do for the rest of your life? It's okay for a weight loss diet to be drastically different from maintenance diet, but you will gain some valuable maintenance skills if you lose weight eating as close to what you expect to eat at maintenance as possible. If not, be prepared for a steep learning curve and rediscovering your habits once you hit your goal weight and have a plan.

Just like any named diet, the pros and cons of keto are pretty individual.
    - It can make you feel better or worse.
    - It can make you more or less hungry.
    - It can cause you to eat less or overeat.
    - It can fit or not fit your palate.
    - It can feel liberating or restricting.
    - It can make dieting easier or harder.
    - It can help you control your cravings or make them stronger.
    - It can make you tired or energetic.
    - It can be sustainable or not.
    ...etc.

The only universal pros I can think of: lowers your blood sugar if you have issues in that department and gives you fast water weight loss in the beginning.

The only universal cons I can think of is that social eating is a tad harder and more awkward and that you will have to be more careful with your nutrition to get adequate nutrients because fat is high in calories which limits the amount of food you can eat so the nutrient density per calorie could end up lower if you aren't careful.

Try it and see if it's a good fit for you and decide if you want to do it short term or long term, or bin it all together, and build a success plan based on what you decide.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Come on by Low Carber Daily Forum and apply. They should have you approved in a few minutes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    One con not mentioned yet: keto breath. Ketosis makes your breath smell bad.

doesnt happen for everyone but for me I had the bad breath and the horrid smelling sweat when I would work out.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All pros for me!! Weight loss, high energy, feel great! I still eat clean as well.
  • Pumpkin34_160
    Options
    Day three. And I have a terrible headache. From what I read it's normal. I'm always tired as I work graveyard I was hoping to have a bit more energy. And as for bad breath. I'm a smoker anyway so that masks any smell
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Day three. And I have a terrible headache. From what I read it's normal. I'm always tired as I work graveyard I was hoping to have a bit more energy. And as for bad breath. I'm a smoker anyway so that masks any smell

Did you up your sodium?

As for the smoking masks the keto breath.. From experience, no it does not!