New Fitbit and not quite sure about the adjustments?

Options
So I've just got a new Fitbit alta HR and I'm trying to understand the info I'm getting off it. I read through some other threads but I'm still a bit unclear.

My data
5'8 , SW 215, CW 190, GW 140. Currently set to sedentary with a goal of 1430 calories. I've been in transit for the last 24 hours and my Fitbit adjustment in MFP is an additional 1700 calories ! (For only about 5000 steps? - I was on planes/trains a lot). So, if I have this right, I have my normal 1430 calories PLUS the 1700 extra and will STILL be in a deficit? Or do I eat back just 1200 extra calories (man that sounds a lot!) To create the 500 cal deficit?

Also, since getting this I've learned that I'm apparently really really out of shape, or have a wonky hearts as my resting heart rate is pretty high. Will this cause an inaccurate calorie burn ? I'm often sitting as low as 70 bit more often in the 90's (sitting quietly with no movement) . Thoughts?

Replies

• athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Following, as I'm a new FitBit (Blaze) user, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm 1.5 inches shorter than you and about your weight. 5000 steps is a little over 2 miles for me, definitely not 1700 calories. Also, my FitBit One doesn't start giving me credit for steps until I've made over 2000 of them.

My One made sense right away, but I hear all the time that people need to give their FBs a few days to "get to know" them.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitbit user but there is a big group in our community here for Fitbit peeps.. here's the link in case it might help you out with some of your questions :) good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    We're very similar (I'm 5'8" SW205 CW194 GW170)
    I have a zip and I can tell you those exercise calories seem WAY high.
    Fitbit/MFP tend to overestimate calories so I try not to eat back more than 50% of them. I'm at 1200 but get anywhere from 200-800 more from daily exercise - so I generally try to eat 1300-1600 daily.
    Maybe you're looking at your total burn? Because a day like yesterday when I walked 4 miles/9300 steps fitbit says I burned 2300 calories. That's total. That's not 2300 I can eat on top of what MFP tells me to eat. Does that make sense?
    Do you have your fitbit synced with MFP? Because if so it will make the daily calorie adjustment for you. Just know it's usually high and don't eat it all back.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently right around 200, and I get about 450 extra calories a day when I hit 10k steps. So yeah, it's way off.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    In theory, you should be able to just treat your Fitbit adjustment like any exercise calories and eat however many "calories remaining" mfp tells you. However, it will take some adjustment period to determine if the Fitbit is accurate for you and/or if you need to make some setting changes for it to work better. My Fitbit is accurate for me. Some others say theirs is high, others low. You need to log your food, look your actual change in weight over a month or so, compare it to what you expected to lose and that will help you figure out if the Fitbit is accurate. "That seems low/high" isn't a good way nor is "mfp/my HrM/some online calculator only gave me 300 for that walk and Fitbit says 450/200" (Fitbit measures 24/7 total calories burned and should only be compared to something else that measures 24/7 total calories burned).

In your specific situation, you've just gotten your Fitbit and you flew all over god's green earth (I'm guessing perhaps into different time zones). I'm thinking there are so many wires crossed between Fitbit, mfp and everything else that it doesn't even know what to spit out. Wait until you've had it set up an entire 24 hours in one time zone before you start worrying about what the calorie adjustment is.

Also remember that how the adjustment works is that Fitbit tells mfp what you burned for the entire day. Mfp also calculates what you burned for the entire day (based on whatever your regular activity level is plus any exercise you have logged). The difference between the two is what is logged as your Fitbit adjustment. So also make sure that any exercise you log on mfp is logged with the correct start/end times. You shouldn't really need to log exercise on mfp, but if you do-make sure you have the times correct. This is another reason a change in time zones may be causing a funky adjustment.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I do have the Fit Bjt synced to MFP and so maybe it's Taneytown weird time changes that's throwing off the burn. I will let things settle for a bit and go from there.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set at in MFP? The lower the level, the higher the adjustments
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Fitbit vs MFP vs time zone adjustment = almost always problem numbers unless you religiously adjust time zones I both apps simultaneously.

Disregard this anomalous day.

Note 5000 steps on Fitbit should yield a caloric result in the low lightly active range on MFP.

I.e. a small positive adjustment from mfp sedentary or very small negative or positive adjustment from mfp lightly active.

Your large adjustment with 5k steps argues for a time zone issue.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok. So I'm a full day past all the crazy timezone things (also just reread my last post - autocorrect + jet leg is a bad combo ! ;):p ) so everything should be not all now. I'm halfway through my day and have taken 7000 steps and have a Fitbit adjustment in MFP of 630 calories. I'm set to sedentary in MFP. Does that sound right to everyone?
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Depending on your current weight it could be. I'm 150 and I get 450-550 for 10K steps
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Ok. So I'm a full day past all the crazy timezone things (also just reread my last post - autocorrect + jet leg is a bad combo ! ;):p ) so everything should be not all now. I'm halfway through my day and have taken 7000 steps and have a Fitbit adjustment in MFP of 630 calories. I'm set to sedentary in MFP. Does that sound right to everyone?

MFP may take some of those away at the end of the day - I tend to do a lot of my walking morning/afternoon. MFP will adjust my calories way high sometimes but then they start to readjust (drop) as the day progresses and I stop walking so much. I was told basically that the program assumes that if you're walking 1000 steps an hour that that's what you're doing all day and when you slack from that, it readjusts. And even so, 600 calories of burn is a serious workout - it's doubtful you're burning that much or should eat that much back.
    Like I said before, we're similar stats, I walk 8000-12000 steps a day, I do my best to eat back only 50-75% of the fitbit calories and I'm losing each week.
    Feel free to send me a friend request and you can see my diary/calorie adjustments! I'm on my 9th week and I'm finally getting the hang of it I think!
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Depending on your current weight it could be. I'm 150 and I get 450-550 for 10K steps

I'm 155 and I'm getting about 400-425 for approximately 12,000 steps. I believe this lesser adjustment is because of my age (67) and have a lower metabolism. Also, I pretty much just march around the house to get those steps, so it's not very strenuous. I've been eating those calories and in 6 days have lost only 6 ounces (not even 1/2 lb yet). I 'm probably going to have to cut back on eating those calories.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »

Yes... sedentary is usually around 3,000 steps. Since you are doing more than double that amount is why you are seeing the larger adjustment.

If you consistently doing that many steps you could update your activity level and get smaller adjustments. I like to see the big adjustments as it motivates me to move, and I also have some days with only 3-4K steps (work related) and I don't want to overeat on those days.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »

I'm 155 and I'm getting about 400-425 for approximately 12,000 steps. I believe this lesser adjustment is because of my age (67) and have a lower metabolism. Also, I pretty much just march around the house to get those steps, so it's not very strenuous. I've been eating those calories and in 6 days have lost only 6 ounces (not even 1/2 lb yet). I 'm probably going to have to cut back on eating those calories.

I think you absolutely have to use the data you have to make the decision. I eat all my exercise calories back each day and I'm losing at a steady rate of 0.9lbs per week (according to my weight trending app) - considering I have MFP set to 1lb per week I'm happy with that!