The mental battle of the scale

Options

What do you do when you're so obsessed with the scales that it mentally gets to you? If I lose weight I'm in an amazing mood, if I gain weight I feel so out of control, overwhelmed, anxious and I feel like everyone is going to hate me for being fatter. How do I stop doing this to myself? I've tried throwing out my scales multiple times but I get so anxious without them I go out and buy new ones within 24 hours

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You know that the scale only measures one aspect of health, fitness, and weight loss right? I think tracking other metrics is what you need. Can you walk more without getting out of breath? Can you run more than you could when you started? Do you lift more weights? Can you fit into smaller clothes or have you had to tighten your belt? Learn to tie success and your mood to things you can control like simply doing a workout or tracking food, even if the workout was terrible or if you are over your calorie goal.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/ways-to-know-if-your-nutrition-plan-is-working
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe weigh less often. I drive myself crazy if I weigh everyday. You could try weekly or even less frequently if it helps you focus more on what's really important.
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every thursday am when I first wake up with no clothes on. Also You can take measurements every couple of weeks.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    angel5392 wrote: »
    What do you do when you're so obsessed with the scales that it mentally gets to you? If I lose weight I'm in an amazing mood, if I gain weight I feel so out of control, overwhelmed, anxious and I feel like everyone is going to hate me for being fatter. How do I stop doing this to myself? I've tried throwing out my scales multiple times but I get so anxious without them I go out and buy new ones within 24 hours

By reminding yourself that weight fluctuations happen. If you start noticing the scale going up and it's not going back down over a course of a month or so, then something you're doing is not working. Try weighing yourself once a week in the morning, and also take measurements. Pay attention to your clothes, are they starting to feel lose or tight? Rely on a combination of things to judge your weight loss, not just the scales. It's only a tool, use it like one.
  • angel5392
    angel5392 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't control it though. I say I'm going to weigh once a week then end up weighing myself at least twice a day and it either makes me feel amazing or like absolute ****. I know it changes due to food, water, BM's, etc but still I can't help but get discouraged. I do measure myself and have walking goals (can't run due to my knees) but still I can't seem to stay off them and I don't know what to do anymore I'm so over it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't know.

Have you considered a counselor or some kind of evaluation for OCD? There's all sort of obsessive compulsive behaviors around food and weight loss. But those behaviors are more akin to the person who washes their hands 80X per day, or checks their email every 5 min. It has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. It's very frustrating and I feel like it impacts my progress when I'm not seeing results on the scale. I have spoken with physicians, dieticians, nutritionists, you name it....I've been at a 10 lb range plateau for over 6 months, which is what ended up bringing me to this app.
    Based on advice given to me, and my own experience with dealing with this problem, I would suggest taking measurements of your body to use in addition.
    As we workout, especially if you do weight lifting or resistance, our body is building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat (more specifically, it takes up less room for the same amount of weight with a larger mass of fat). So as your body composition transitions from fat to muscle, you may not notice much happening on the scale...but if you take measurements of your body, you'll be able to see how much your healthier lifestyle is paying off.
    I would suggest having a weight loss buddy and doing measurements together...it is much easier for someone else to measure you than for you to measure yourself.
    I only usually do measurements every three months or so, but you can do them more often if you need to....
    The measurements you take are up to you, some people only do chest, hips, and waist.
    However, since I am a person with fat distributed fairly evenly across my body, I do:
    Neck
    Shoulders
    Upper Arms
    Forearms
    Chest
    Waist
    Hips
    Thighs
    Calfs

For me, this is one of the few things that keeps me motivated.
    Also keep a photo diary. Being able to see changes is difficult because we look at ourselves everyday. However, if you take pictures every so often, you can place them side by side and see the difference. On my page, I have a face transformation posted from April of 2016
    and one posted from this month. I wouldn't have guessed my physical features have changed so much, because my transformation has been a slow and steady one....
    These two journaling techniques are probably going to be your best friend when it comes to fighting back against the dreaded scale!
    Hope this is helpful. Best of luck!
  • ashager1
    ashager1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it is as much of an obsession as you say then it sounds as though it may be bordering an addiction. I found this definition online: Addiction is repeated involvement with a substance or activity, despite the substantial harm it now causes, because that involvement was (and may continue to be) pleasurable and/or valuable. This problem you have seems to be causing you a lot of stress and concern. Also, it may cause set backs with your diet plan if it does not read the correct number on a daily or many times daily basis. It sounds like the number on the scale may define you and give you your worth. I would throw it away and weight in monthly at the gym. I know you could say, "I"ll just buy another one, so how does that help" The fact is anyone could say that about their issues, however, at some point we have to get a grip. If there is something in your home that is causing you to feel out of control or upset, then get rid of that thing. Does an alcoholic that decides to stop drinking keep a spare bottle of booze around? No, they know they cannot trust themselves with it and just keep their distance, if they are really serious about a better sober life. Yes, you will desire to replace that habit because that's how us humans struggle, we are self destructive at times and very self indulgent. Replace these destructive thoughts/habits with good, positive and helpful ones. When you feel a "trigger" to weight yourself more than weekly, get a game plan a head of time. You can decide to go for a walk, pray, breathe deeply and think your happy thoughts, call a friend, help someone else, put money in a donation jar for every time you obsess and give to your charity of choice. The bottom line is, we need to get our minds off ourselves all the time. Just know, people are made awesome and we are well able. We need to believe that and reach down deep and believe we can do what we set our minds to do. Psalms 139:14 I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

• Midnightwine5
    Midnightwine5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the past. I'm joining the Army and they want me to be 154 to swear in and pick my job-- which I'm only 10 pounds from. I've been on my weight loss journey since April (-30 pounds thus far), and have found day-to-day weigh ins on the scale can be decieving. Your weight fluctuates anywhere from 1-3 pounds through out the day (in my experience). Weight can change from water retention (you can be multiple pounds higher from water retention, for females their time of the month can cause fluctuation, if you've eaten, drank water, or even time of day you've weighed. Using the bathroom also is a big factor. What I'm getting at is use the scale as a tool to measure weight loss, but it your only tool. I would weigh in every week or 2 times weekly max. It can be discouraging to not see the scale move when in reality you're losing fat. I also use a tape measure to measure fat loss.
  • Midnightwine5
    Midnightwine5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't control it though. I say I'm going to weigh once a week then end up weighing myself at least twice a day and it either makes me feel amazing or like absolute ****. I know it changes due to food, water, BM's, etc but still I can't help but get discouraged. I do measure myself and have walking goals (can't run due to my knees) but still I can't seem to stay off them and I don't know what to do anymore I'm so over it.

Sorry for double comment, but it sounds like you know what I had previously stated in my first comment. I feel like you're heading towards an unhealthy obsession and you may want to consider talking to a professional about this because it is not normal and it is unhealthy behavior. Good luck ❤️
  • angel5392
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Don't know.

Have you considered a counselor or some kind of evaluation for OCD? There's all sort of obsessive compulsive behaviors around food and weight loss. But those behaviors are more akin to the person who washes their hands 80X per day, or checks their email every 5 min. It has nothing to do with weight loss.

Thanks for the idea. I'm actually being evaluated at the moment for an ED, never really thought it could be related to OCD but makes sense. Thank you
  • angel5392
    Options

Sorry for double comment, but it sounds like you know what I had previously stated in my first comment. I feel like you're heading towards an unhealthy obsession and you may want to consider talking to a professional about this because it is not normal and it is unhealthy behavior. Good luck ❤️

I've actually got an appointment with a GP on Tuesday. Thank you so much for your help and kind words xo
  • angel5392
    Options
    Angied725 wrote: »

I'm the same way. It's very frustrating and I feel like it impacts my progress when I'm not seeing results on the scale. I have spoken with physicians, dieticians, nutritionists, you name it....I've been at a 10 lb range plateau for over 6 months, which is what ended up bringing me to this app.
    Based on advice given to me, and my own experience with dealing with this problem, I would suggest taking measurements of your body to use in addition.
    As we workout, especially if you do weight lifting or resistance, our body is building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat (more specifically, it takes up less room for the same amount of weight with a larger mass of fat). So as your body composition transitions from fat to muscle, you may not notice much happening on the scale...but if you take measurements of your body, you'll be able to see how much your healthier lifestyle is paying off.
    I would suggest having a weight loss buddy and doing measurements together...it is much easier for someone else to measure you than for you to measure yourself.
    I only usually do measurements every three months or so, but you can do them more often if you need to....
    The measurements you take are up to you, some people only do chest, hips, and waist.
    However, since I am a person with fat distributed fairly evenly across my body, I do:
    Neck
    Shoulders
    Upper Arms
    Forearms
    Chest
    Waist
    Hips
    Thighs
    Calfs

For me, this is one of the few things that keeps me motivated.
    Also keep a photo diary. Being able to see changes is difficult because we look at ourselves everyday. However, if you take pictures every so often, you can place them side by side and see the difference. On my page, I have a face transformation posted from April of 2016
    and one posted from this month. I wouldn't have guessed my physical features have changed so much, because my transformation has been a slow and steady one....
    These two journaling techniques are probably going to be your best friend when it comes to fighting back against the dreaded scale!
    Hope this is helpful. Best of luck!

Thank you for your advice :) good ideas
  • angel5392
    Options
    rednote49 wrote: »
    I used to be like you. My emotions were linked to the number on the scale. Sometimes saying stuff out loud helps. Telling yourself that the scale is like your toaster or blender. Is your entire day's happiness based on the level of toastiness of your bread in the morning? How how much your smoothie is blended? Sounds completely insane right? The scale is the same thing. Why is my happiness governed by an inanimate object? Do you give your microwave that level of power over you? No. So take it back. Ditch the scale for good. You control it. It does not control you.

I love this. Thank you
  • threecharms
    threecharms Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know someone who stopped using a scale altogether and only uses journaling, how she feels, how clothes fit, etc. She doesn't even take measurements. She just tracks calories, those are the only numbers she pays attention to. She is waaaaay more successful than me at weight loss! I've been so intrigued by her non scale approach. She has absolutely zero idea what she weighs! I think it's fantastic.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

When I exercised, I kept an exercise journal. I would look back occasionally and say, "Wow, my heart rate got up to (HUGE) going much slower, now I can't GET it up to (what 80% max heart rate or whatever it's supposed to be) even exercising faster and longer!" It really helped.