Eating after exercise

Options
How long do you guys usually wait after exercise to eat??

Replies

• DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    bump
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    You should have something right away. Something high in protein. I have a slimfast shake right after, then actual food about an hour later. I'll have all bran or some oats.
    Read this :) It's from EA Sports Active FAQ's

Generally you want to refuel immediately after a good workout with some carbohydrates, protein, and water. Your body has about 15 min of prime recovery time after a workout. During that time it’s important to replenish muscle fuel (carbs) as well as protein that aids in the repair of damaged muscle tissue, and promote growth of new tissue. I know it sounds counterproductive to eat after a workout if your goal is to lose weight, but by refueling and starting the recovery process early, your body will repair and build muscle which in turns increases your metabolism. This is what will make you more efficient at burning calories on a regular basis. Things like yogurt with fruit or cereal, or a turkey sandwich are great options.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Within an hour; usually within half an hour. But that's just me. I don't think timing really matters that much.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    How long do you guys usually wait after exercise to eat??
    I try to eat immediately after and I always go for protein. You want to fuel your body after working out.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    to help with repairing your muscles you should be aiming to eat some protein and a little bit of carbs within 30 mins of finishing exercise
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I try to eat some protein shortly after my work out. I usually eat food, but protein powders/shakes can work as well. I have read that if you want to eat some more sugary carbs or gatorade-type drinks, that the best time to do so is shortly after a work out because your body is primed to digest/process those foods right away at that time...instead of storing them as fat.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I usually plan to eat dinner after I exercise (because I'm usually starving after exercise). I always try to get in some protein, lots of veggies and healthy carbs.
  • mannyd1975
    mannyd1975 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    depends what exercise...after weight training....usually immediatley, get some protein in you or a recovery drink is great!
  • jeepgirl001
    Options
    I usually have a light meal/snack with 2 hours after working out. I usually have sliced turkey on multi-grain bread or oatmeal with fruit. I find this works best for me.