Cheat meals with a lot to lose

Options
Hi guys,

Can I ask, do most of you have 'cheat meals'? Is this just for those maintaining or near to goal?
I have a lot to lose (70) but I know this journey will be much more bearable if I can continue to eat out (even just one evening meal a week)
Making better choices than before but without the home cooking control.

What are people's thoughts?

Have any of you reached goal (with 50+ to lose) while having these?

Thanks
Lou

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    While I was losing the majority of my excess weight, I tried a "cheat meal" a couple of times but it stressed me out because I didn't have a reliable way to estimate the calories. It was much easier and more comfortable for me to plan for small daily treats than to "let go" for a restaurant meal.

I'm close to goal now and I don't have the same tight control of my intake so I eat out about once every 2-3 weeks.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat meals.

I follow IIFYM and fit treats into my weekly goal.

This is how I think about it, except I'm more of an IIFYC kinda girl and pretty much ignore macros all together, I should probably get on that....
  • loubabes1
    loubabes1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahaaa now this is interesting, I've literally been counting by day and not considering 'weekly' calories.
    Ok, so save some room through the week for a meal out at the weekend.
    Cool, I will give it a try!
    Thanks!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OP, like you, I needed a break from rigorous eating/calorie control every once in awhile. Not to mention that I am the chief cook/grocery shopper and, at least once a week I need a break from it all.

First thing, if you are actively losing, just get it out of your head that it is "cheat" meal. That almost gives you permission to go crazy. But recognize that you are going to go out to dinner and you need a way to somewhat fit it in.

For instance, I eat out every Friday and Saturday evening. On Friday at work, I ensure that I am pretty strict during the day. Friday's are for places like Panera or Zoe's Kitchen or maybe even Five Guys (fast casual). At Panera or Zoe's I can always find something to fit into what I have left for dinner calories.

Saturdays when I go to a real restaurant it's a little harder. But I try to be even better with my calories during the day (and more active). I also try to stay away from restaurants that are difficult/impossible to get a moderate caloric meal in.

Last night my husband just wanted to go to The Cheesecake Factory. Not my favorite place. But there were several options here:

1. Get the meal that was 1,300 calories and split it take half home.
    2. Get something from their Skinnylicious menu.

I opted for #2 and got White Bean Chicken Chili for 510 calories. I had water rather than a ginger ale and I didn't eat the bread. I'd rather have dessert than bread (unless the bread is out of this world). Now the chili wasn't that great. Honestly Panera does a better job with chili, but I got to eat out, got a break, and didn't "cheat." I was a little over my calorie goal yesterday but that was because I opted to eat a gourmet cupcake left over from my daughter's birthday party the day before. Worth it!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I never ever went over my calories. Not even once. I stuck to my calorie limit like glue.

I gained weight when I ate well during the week and then ate whatever I wanted on the weekends ... I wasn't planning to continue that pattern!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    loubabes1 wrote: »
    this journey will be much more bearable if I can continue to eat out (even just one evening meal a week)

You can still do that and stay within your calorie limit.

Although I always stayed within mine while I was losing weight, I ate a whole pizza once a month and I went out for dinner about once a month. A matter of weeks after I started, I had my birthday weekend ... delicious meal in a Mexican restaurant one night, a picnic the next, and half a cheesecake on the third night. All within my calories.

How?

I exercise a lot.

After two sets of 16 weeks, I had lost 25 kg. :)

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat out. Just plan it into your day. Pick a restaurant you enjoy, and a menu item that fits in your plan. (Make a list of these "green light" restaurants and meals, and you can enter them as meals into MFP so it's easy and fast to track in a social situation.)

I look up the nutritional info online if it's a chain restaurant, or use my best guess if they don't have nutritional info available. Remember to log in oils, sauces, etc.

It's known that restaurants can underestimate their nutritional info by up to 40%. I add in an additional 25% of calories for foods I can easily count or measure (eggs, etc) or 33% for foods that I can't count or measure. I made food entries for "Restaurant overage" with macro percentages that match my meal plan goals.

So, if my best estimate of the meal adds up to 600 calories, I add my "restaurant overage" entry with enough "servings" to equal 200 calories.

I pre-plan this and try to enter it ahead of time, it really helps me stay on-plan in the restaurant. And I can adjust the rest of the day easily to stay within my goals. Sometimes I take it as a maintainence-level day with a few hundred extra calories, but I rarely need to do that. It will almost always fit if you plan ahead.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly deficit and as long as it averages under maintenance through the week overall all good. Just remember to log, weigh and be as accurate as possible you can totally wipe out a deficit if you go nuts all weekend and bury your head in the sand. I'm the same though and couldn't commit to a long term plan if I had to restrict every day. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I didn't have "cheat" meals during my task of losing 80 lbs. More so in that I never liked using the term with the negative connotations. Did I eat high calories on occasion and take little breaks? Yes. Just considered it a higher calorie meal, holiday and the occasional short break that helps in particular with long term deficits.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Once you get the idea that weight loss/gain/maintenance is all about calories (and not about what you should/shouldn't eat), it makes life a bit easier.

You can have your favourite foods/treats every day and still lose weight. The key is to pay attention to nutrition and have your cake too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A "cheat meal" implies I'm getting away with something when the exact opposite is true. Yes, I have an occasional day or meal when I am not staying within my calorie goal but I pay for these afterwards with slowed weight loss, water weight, and, most seriously, a renewed appetite to go over the next few days.

I just had one of those days this week. I was not cheating anyone. I was making my life more difficult for some momentary recklessness. Will I do it again? Sure. Will I enjoy it the next time? Sure. But I won't be cheating because I won't "get away with it." It's my behavior and I'm the only one determining what it is. I live with the consequences, good or bad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    One additional piece of advice: Whatever you choose to eat, log it. If you have to estimate, do so without stressing about it (but don't lowball). Do this whether you're at, above or below goal.

That way, you can evaluate. If you go over goal on a rare occasion, was it worth it? (In my experience, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't). How long did it delay reaching your goal? How long will it take to lose any real gain from the extra food? How long will it take to bank calories in advance to prepare but still come out even? How much workout time equals that much food?

All of those questions are easily answerable if you log. For me, it enabled a more thoughtful learning-oriented approach while losing 1/3 of my body weight, made future loss and eventual maintenance easier, and turned the whole enterprise into a big, fun science fair project. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. I have one day a week where I have some higher-calorie food and don't even come close to hitting my protein target, but I still come in at/slightly under calories. I don't binge on potato kugel when I know I'm having two pieces once a week.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals don't work for me. I'm too easily drawn off-track, so I haven't let myself do that this time around. However, I eat out. I eat pizza. I have lots of treats that I make fit in my calories (though it's definitely harder know than when I started - fewer calories). If it's a really special day I give myself permission to go over on my calories - like what my maintenance would be. I've lost 100 pounds and have been at it for a bit over a year and a half; I still have about 20 to lose. Today we're going to spend the afternoon with some good friends. I'm not sure what's on the menu. I've eaten less so far then I usually would have, and I'm also open to going a bit over today.

Cheat meals work for some people - probably a lot of people :smile: . We are all different. They don't work for me.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Plan indulgences ahead of time, fit them into your daily meal plan. That way you get to eat what you want but it is not considered a "cheat". I think the cheat mentality is dangerous because it is basically like you're breaking rules while no one is watching. But they're YOUR rules and YOU are watching. No one is affected by what you eat except for you. It's your goals that are affected. Maybe it is helpful because if you didn't allow indulgences then you'd veer of course and binge or lose willpower. But just plan it and track it and think of it as being part of your plan.

I've had indulgences a few times now but I haven't felt guilty or depressed about them like I used to feel when I had "cheat" days and I didn't track.

• kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    One additional piece of advice: Whatever you choose to eat, log it. If you have to estimate, do so without stressing about it (but don't lowball). Do this whether you're at, above or below goal.

That way, you can evaluate. If you go over goal on a rare occasion, was it worth it? (In my experience, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't). How long did it delay reaching your goal? How long will it take to lose any real gain from the extra food? How long will it take to bank calories in advance to prepare but still come out even? How much workout time equals that much food?

All of those questions are easily answerable if you log. For me, it enabled a more thoughtful learning-oriented approach while losing 1/3 of my body weight, made future loss and eventual maintenance easier, and turned the whole enterprise into a big, fun science fair project. ;)

This has been so true for me! I am learning so much just by looking at trends in my weight loss vs. what I ate that week. It's been very interesting. I know others have days or meals when they don't track but I can't see myself doing that ever. I am just too curious! I'm so curious about what calorie count, what macros, how much sodium, etc. I just ate. It IS like a big fun science fair project!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate the term "cheat meal" because to me "cheating" is something bad and forbidden - I know that's not exactly the spirit in which that is meant.

Also, because I'm a former binge eater and well aware of how one can get stuck into a "good versus bad" black and white mentality, and how eating gets all tied up with whether one is PERSONALLY good and bad and all sorts of silliness. (Versus, say, overeating at a meal and that wasn't going with the plan but that hardly makes one a terrible person and tomorrow is another day and by the way it was delicious and amazing!)

My goal is to stay within my plan 95% of the time. But once in a while I'm going to go way over. It's hard not to some times like Christmas. And life's too short not to get the amazing dinner special at that incredible restaurant every few months, or eat that hot chocolate chip cookie made by Grandma, or whatever. But sometime else I'll go well under because I'm upset or sick or something. Balance, baby!