Anyone else trying to be sober on their fitness journey?

Options
13»

Replies

• Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Not quitting. Definitely cutting back and tracking it.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I need to cut back on the binge drinking. When I first started MFP in April I cut back to only having the odd glass with dinner once or twice a week and lost 20lbs in under 3 months. Now it's summer holidays and we're catching up for dinners and get-togethers and I've allowed myself to have a bit more wine again, but I've had 2 nights in the past week where I've really binged (with a terrible hangover the next day) and that's got to stop. No more binge drinking, just the odd glass of wine for dinner.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching this is a lifestyle change, so the reality of me quitting all alcohol forever is just not possible. If I know I'm going to drink in the coming weekend, I make sure my calorie deficit is enough through the week where I can enjoy some drinks. I've never had a problem with drinking; only doing it once in a while. So I'm not in a position where my life would be better if I gave up drinking all together. My BFF lives in WI, the land of beer and cheese... you bet your *kitten* I'm drinking beer when I visit her. It's just not a reasonable request for me to quit completely.
  • millea84
    millea84 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a drink every now and then, but it is not a regular habit. I don't really drink enough to get drunk.
  • rwheelin2017
    rwheelin2017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I could and would always have a great reason to drink. I enjoy it! Vodka is my go to. Red wine too. Ya know, because vodka has less sugar and calories and red wine is good for the gut, in moderation. That's how I justify it lol. But who am I kidding? I drink to get drunk lol! It's a social thing. Well, I've recently had a change in medications that I take daily. I've lost my taste for alcohol and cigarettes. In the 5 weeks I've been sober (mostly) I've lost nearly 15 lbs! Maybe being the DD isn't really so bad
  • nowarhead
    nowarhead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great to read about some of your experiences here. Really encouraging. While I have never had a drinking problem, I have had a smoking problem ever since I was 14-15 ish. Smoked steady for almost 2 decades since and just quit few months ago after multiple attempts. I have never gone past 24-48 hours in the past, so this has been a journey I appreciate.

Gained a few pounds as a result, and that brought some awareness that perhaps I should also watch my diet. Hence, I am here at myfitnesspal.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I drink and I enjoy it. My "fitness journey" will be life-long so I can't rationalize giving up anything that I enjoy.
  • frankgettingfit
    frankgettingfit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    RaaayRaeee wrote: »
    Yes!!! I've been sober 5 months and I can feel such a difference. I love it.
    Been two years and it feels amazing
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I'm opposite. I started drinking regularly after changing my eating habits. I find a shot of scotch on the rocks in the evening kills my appetite and helps me sleep better. At least I can stop after one.
  • baeya
    baeya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    baeya wrote: »
    July 17, 2017 was my 1 year anniversary of no alcohol. I quit smoking a few months before that. My social drinking was slowly turning into abusive drinking over the last three years that I drank. After a very fast divorce, after 40 years of marriage, I hit my rock bottom. I opened my eyes and will never drink any kind of alcohol ever again.

We almost have the same anniversary of no alcohol! The last time I ever drank alcohol was July 18th 2016 and it was the best decision of my life, it feels so good in so many different ways! Congratulations on the recent anniversary what a huge milestone :smile:

Wow! What a coincidence! Thank you and congratulations to you as well!