Calorie check

Options
I'm 19, 5'8 135 lbs. I go to a gym that has a body weight, some kettle bells movements and then cardio like rowing or biking 6 times a week. The circuits last about 40 minutes and in sweating and tired after. I only get like 4-5,000 steps a day so I'm pretty sedentary other than that. I lift a few times a week too if I feel like it. I put my stats into a calculator and it told me at 1,910 calories would be my maintenance calories. Does this look right? Seems high to me.

Replies

• annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this posted twice!!!!! I did not mean to do that!!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You can report one of them and ask for it to be removed.

As for your question, it's hard to say if that will work. Try it for a while and see what happens over time. Then adjust up or down as appropriate. Did you finish losing some weight? Use those numbers to get a better estimate of what would be right for you.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You have to try and see. Through logging accurately and with time you will figure it out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds low not high!
    2000 is often stated as an average maintenance amount and you are above average height and do a far above average amount of exercise.

Try it for a month and then adjust based on results. Calculators (including this site) only provide an estimated start point.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No 1910 is NOT high.
    I'm only 5ft 2 and I eat a bit more than that to maintain.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That seems about right. I'm maintaining on about 3,000 calories per day.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, maybe low. You may need more. I'm 5'7" and need about 2500 to maintain.
  • annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to maintain my weight but I'm confused what my calories should be.
    I'm 19, almost 20.
    140 lbs
    5'7
    I am a waitress 4 time a week but on my off days I'm not too active.
    I run a mile everyday and on Monday I am starting the 5/3/1 program.
    I'm not sure if I would be considered sedentary or lightly active because in about a month I will start classes where I will bike and a walk around campus a lot more. I entered all that into a calculator and I got 1,997 calories which seems LIKE SO MANY! Am I just freaking out or does that seem accurate?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. You're maintaining; not losing. I'm on 1980 and losing, but I'm a bit taller, a bit heavier, and quite a bit older.

Your job would fall under the category of Lightly Active, but you're only doing it half the week. Your deliberate exercise is not counted as part of your Activity Level, and should be entered separately on the daily chart.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That number sounds about right. I'm your height and would happily maintain on 2000 calories at your age (I'm 43 now so maintain closer to 1800). Any extra exercise will give you more calories to eat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it while you can. I'm your height but 62 and I get only about 1700!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me. I'm 5-7, 145 and maintain at 2200
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am smaller than you 5'5 and weigh a lot less and I maintain on 2100-2600 a day burning about 300-400 5 days a week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    2000 is often given as an average daily amount for "an average woman".
    You are taller, younger and more active than average so 2000 + exercise calories doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

Experimentation over an extended period of time will fine tune your allowance.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The most effective way to calculate your TDEE for loss, gain, or maintenance is with a spreadsheet. There's a few versions on here which are very, very effective:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/4mhvpn/adaptive_tdee_tracking_spreadsheet_v3_rescue/

You put in your daily weight (weight at the same time every day blah blah blah), and your daily calorie intake. You will slowly populate the chart, and it will give you your actual RUNNING TDEE on a weekly basis. This is invaluable, because it is YOUR TDEE, based on YOUR activity, metabolism, hormonal response, and any other factor which has an effect on your weight.

Seriously, using these has put me 150% in control of my weight loss. If I want to lose .7lbs a week, I literally can, because I'm not guessing at my maintenance based off of some calculator which may or may not be accurate to MY metabolism, lean mass, hormonal response, etc.

Good luck!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    The most effective way to calculate your TDEE for loss, gain, or maintenance is with a spreadsheet. There's a few versions on here which are very, very effective:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/4mhvpn/adaptive_tdee_tracking_spreadsheet_v3_rescue/

You put in your daily weight (weight at the same time every day blah blah blah), and your daily calorie intake. You will slowly populate the chart, and it will give you your actual RUNNING TDEE on a weekly basis. This is invaluable, because it is YOUR TDEE, based on YOUR activity, metabolism, hormonal response, and any other factor which has an effect on your weight.

Seriously, using these has put me 150% in control of my weight loss. If I want to lose .7lbs a week, I literally can, because I'm not guessing at my maintenance based off of some calculator which may or may not be accurate to MY metabolism, lean mass, hormonal response, etc.

Good luck!

Wow this is AWESOME thank you for sharing.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Wow this is AWESOME thank you for sharing.

Glad to help ;). I just hate seeing people struggle...and with the industry standard containing 98 methods of calculating TDEE, all of which use ambiguous terminology like 'lightly active' or 'moderately active' to take a very rough stab at what you do during a day...99.9% of people are going to.

With this, it doesn't matter what you're eating now. Eat it for 2-3 weeks...see what the spreadsheet says...and calculate your new intake off of that.