etiquette question

Options
2»

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    My chains of gyms banned posing which I guess is why there aren't really any hardcore bodybuilders there. Such a shame.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Differs from gym to gym. In mine, it has to be in the cardio studio when no class is going on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    We have some pretty serious bodybuilders at my gym, and some who are in it for fun. I've seen a couple "photo shoots" beyond the abs-in-mirror selfies. Doesn't bother me. I have to wear my itty bitty singlet in the gym before a powerlifting meet and I'm pretty sure everyone can see my uterus.

Different goals. But I like training alongside with goal oriented people.

<-- wearing this, I think everyone got to see what I had for breakfast too...

LMAO I see you had 250g of egg whites and a sausage this morning.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I agree with SonyaCele that I should mind my own business. It's just that it was a very small sub space of the gym floor and his business was kind of in my face.
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We live in a world where someone always thinks other people give a rat's ar$e about public display and the associated foolery in social media accounts and that is their 15 min of fame.

Let him have it. It is not certainly illegal. But it is not wholly legal as well.

Wait, why not?

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether they obstruct me from doing my workout. If they're in the power rack playing Pokemon Go for 10 minutes between sets of pullups I'm gonna have something to say about that.

If they're getting ready for a meet or a competition, great. Good luck. We get more powerlifters and actually have few competition bodybuilders. The powerlifters might yell at a hunk of iron before a max deadlift or something. To that I'll just enter their reality for a moment and say something like, "Just pick it up!" And then smile. They'll appreciate it that you understand their aggression is focused on a lift, not you.

At my gym the problem is the entitled 70 year olds that rage at the poor college kids working there. The other day a woman freaked out because the couldn't figure out how to adjust the spin bike. She threw her hands in the air and literally started screaming. And the old ladies in the functional pool really get nasty if a kid from the boxing class shadow boxes in the pool. But the club's owner boxes...and he says, "Well, he's moving his arms and legs, which is kinda what you're supposed to do, isn't it?"
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I walked into the back room of my gym, and a guy was stripped down to his underwear practicing his posing. Threw me off a bit. But, it is a serious bodybuilder gym. I just didn't expect underwear. Didn't stop me from doing my foam rolling there. ;)
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    How do you get a bodybuilder to stop posing in the mirror and leave? Hand them a pair of boxing gloves.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    People at the gym do all kinds of things which might be seen as annoying under different circumstances.
    The sweat profoundly, they sometimes moan, they hang around other people idly, because they need to wait out their break. Hey, as long as you don't bother me personally (by being in my way or otherwise keeping me from what I came to do), go for it. Just don't be bothered if I idly watch you in a fairly amused manner in case you show off your muscles in underwear.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It doesn't affect your woekout in any way.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    That depends. I might be inadvertently interested or amused. And repressing laughter does no good for my workout. (Or would it? Abs might be working a bit more than usual...)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what the actual gym is like, but I would imagine it would be an unusual occurrance in any big chain gym let alone one here in the UK. It wouldn't shock me too much in my main gym, although as there is a "hard core" group of older ladies who frequent at the same time as I do (seems more of a social club type thing for them than actual working out) that would probably have coronaries if anyone stripped down to undies, think they've just about got their heads around this 45yo former fattie rocking wearing a bootie short/crop top/muscle vest combo.

• theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    That depends. I might be inadvertently interested or amused. And repressing laughter does no good for my workout. (Or would it? Abs might be working a bit more than usual...)

I guess what I mean is - regardless of what they do, it shouldn't really affect your progress. If I am in the gym to achieve something I prefer to focus on that and I believe that's the best approach.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input. I agree with SonyaCele that I should mind my own business. It's just that it was a very small sub space of the gym floor and his business was kind of in my face.

IF you were there first and his business was literally in front of your face, It's reasonable to ask if he can give you a little bit of space.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone do this so I'm comfused by this thread... How "stripped down" are we talking?
    But honestly, I wouldn't care if someone stripped fully nude at the gym. I probably wouldn't even notice... it's 5 am and my mind is still half asleep