Lean Bulk - so far so good.

Options

Replies

• dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    dalerst wrote: »

So have you only gained 1lb in a month? How are you doing it i.e. whats your Marcos, and what you using to weigh yourself

Yes, 1lb for the month. I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning, and take the monthly average.

Macros, I aim for

1g protein 1lb bodyweight
    0.5g fat / 1lb
    Rest from carbs.

I'm like you when started I'm having to eat 2750 per day and still not gaining but then I'm 6ft 1 and current weight is 162lb with a 30.5" waist.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm deliberately keeping my surplus very low, so my waist doesn't grow too much during the summer.

At 44 my progress is slow, so too many calories just turns to fat.

My height is 5'6", and my waist is hovering at 29.75".
  • pbryd
    Options
    July end update and I've gained a further 0.9lb with my waist hovering around 30".

I don't plan on cutting anytime soon, and would like to continue bulking for the rest of the year.

5lhb9njhuwb5.png

• pbryd
    edited July 2017
    Options

I managed to find these for a bargain price of £50 UK pounds, :) there are pairs of 10kg, 12.5kg and 17.5kg, with the stand thrown in too. I'll make up a pair 15kg spinlock, and up another spinlock to go higher than 20kg.

7CDA3ZH.jpg

• big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You look great for a guy so small man.
  • pbryd
    Options

Cheers man, just good lighting and a pump lol.

It all seems to disappear when I put a t-shirt on.
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Cheers man, just good lighting and a pump lol.

It all seems to disappear when I put a t-shirt on.

Fair enough haha. I'm 210, cut about 10 pounds in the last month and a half, already feeling skinny in a shirt haha.
  • pbryd
    Options
    No weight gain this month. My waist hit 30.25" so I'm sticking to the plan and doing a quick cut.

I'm following the principle of staying between 10% - 15% bf, so I'm hoping to lower my bodyfat with a 4 - 6 week quick cut at 1600 kcals.

j09voexul39q.png
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Many say that you need to be in the 10-15% bf range, but I prefer being heavier from 12-17% bf. It's all about personal preference. Being at 17-20% bf isn't unhealthy you know.
  • pbryd
    Options
    Well I've gained 18lbs (from 124lb to 142lb) on a 16 month bulk.

I'm calling it a day so my bodyfat % doesn't go too high.

My lean bulk calories are 2600, so I've started my cut with 1600. This might seem a drastic cut, but the theory is to get the fat off as quick as possible, then reverse diet out.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Well I've gained 18lbs (from 124lb to 142lb) on a 16 month bulk.

I'm calling it a day so my bodyfat % doesn't go too high.

My lean bulk calories are 2600, so I've started my cut with 1600. This might seem a drastic cut, but the theory is to get the fat off as quick as possible, then reverse diet out.

How much fat do you think you've gained in that time?! I'm a 5'5" female, eating 2800 cals at the end of my bulk, and have maintained relative leanness while gaining almost 2 lbs/month!
  • pbryd
    Options
    I'll tell you after my cut, I've gained a little bit of lower ab fat and I can now pinch and inch on the back of my hips.

I'm 45 now, 5'6.5"

2800 would have seen me gain at a faster rate, but give my age, I thought a longer slower gain would be more favourable.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    I'll tell you after my cut, I've gained a little bit of lower ab fat and I can now pinch and inch on the back of my hips.

I'm 45 now, 5'6.5"

2800 would have seen me gain at a faster rate, but give my age, I thought a longer slower gain would be more favourable.

I agree, but I'm just surprised you'd have to cut so dramatically with such a slow bulk. I'm not much younger than you, trust me LOL
  • pbryd
    Options
    I don't have to cut so dramatically, but I'd like to.

My goal is to cut as quick and fast as possible, to get back to gaining.

Fortunately, I'm very good when it comes to calorie restriction, I only very rarely cheat on a diet, which lets me cut right down to 1500-1600 without any trouble.

So with this in mind, a slow long cut seems silly to me.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Fortunately, I'm very good when it comes to calorie restriction, I only very rarely cheat on a diet, which lets me cut right down to 1500-1600 without any trouble.

Are you just going to restrict calories or are you going to adopt one of the various RFL protocols?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Omg, less than 2500 cals makes me cry!
  • pbryd
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Are you just going to restrict calories or are you going to adopt one of the various RFL protocols?

Just cutting calories.

• pbryd
    Options

Omg, less than 2500 cals makes me cry!

The good thing about a very low deficit, is you can have a day where you cheat a little, and still end up in a deficit.

It's a win win lol