Traveler looking for very simple vegan diet idea

Hi, I've been eating clean for over a year with almost no dairy and have decided to try and challenge myself to all dairy and all meat. My issue however, which makes things difficult, is that I travel for work and basically live out of hotels. I have an electric skillet I use to cook, but cleaning very much (bathroom sink is about all I've got) and also keeping a huge storage of spices and foods isn't ideal. So I'm looking for very small and simple ideas for a decent plant based diet, with a high protein content would be excellent. Any ideas would help, thank you!

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Do you travel by plane or car? Do you have access to grocery stores at your work site?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Split peas and lentils don't require pre-soaking. You might want to google recipes for dahl. It's an Indian dish, so you will need a few spices, but they tend to repeat. I just made this one and it's delicious:

Yellow Split Pea Dahl with Spinach

d64dm83hq61p.png

(The missing word in "0.25 cup chopped" is cilantro)
  • yelBerk30
    yelBerk30 Posts: 2 Member
    I dont have an answer for your question... i just wanted to say great job on staying healthy for a year! I have just started less then 2 months ago, and i really want to stick with mostly vegan diet, but it has been hard! Good job!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Go to the grocery store and buy edamame, precooked tofu, nut butter, broccoli, fruit, fresh or frozen green peas
    Cook lentils or split peas -- no spices necessary except for a little salt.
    Pack protein powder or hemp seeds for shakes. Nuts.
  • danmartin5552017
    danmartin5552017 Posts: 2 Member
    Huel.com vegan, full of vitamins and minerals, just add water.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    You can get pre-marinated/cooked tofu and just heat it up (or eat it cold). Pre-cook rice and also heat it up. Or pick up some rice and steamed veggies from a Chinese restaurant and add your own tofu, etc (assuming that's an option).

It's hard to answer without knowing what you have access to. Can you food shop? Go to a restaurant for take-out? If I was in your situation I would be creative with take out (rather than cooking in my room) and supplement with fruit and veggies from the supermarket. Most restaurants are happy to cook to order for you, and more have vegan options all the time. Rice/pasta, veggies-add a can of beans and I'm good to go. A hotel with a fridge and a microwave goes a long way.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    I've seen spice packets in Walmart that have a recipe card on them and include all the necessary spices for that meal. Most of them say just add chicken, but tofu is a good sub.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    I have pre made meals and packaged them in individual size Tupperware.

If you can freeze the food then pack it frozen and you can be good for a few days’ worth of eating, especially if you put it all in a thermal package, a towel works well or an insulated lunch bag.

Thaw out one meal at a time and use the hotel microwave. (Often there is one in the breakfast area and most places will let you use it to heat up supper if you ask nicely. Especially if you are a regular)
  • brittnotshy
    brittnotshy Posts: 43 Member
    Sliced tempeh + sliced veg + hummus is my go-to. You can wrap in lettuce leaves or eat with whole wheat pita.
    Nut butter + high protein bread is also good. If I'm staying in a place with a microwave, I'll sometimes microwave a yam and eat that with a can of black beans (low sodium) and salsa. You can also nuke regular potatoes or plantains and have {vegan} refried beans - delish! :)