Pregnant calories and exercise???

Options
Hello Everybody! I just found out last night after 2 home pregnancy test that I am pregnant! :happy: I want to mantain a healthy weight and I am wondering how much calories should I be eating. I am 5'3" and 117 lbs last time I weighed myself. I had my calories in maintenance eating about 1540 calories a day. Should I increase or mantain my calorie intake?? I would also like to know what exercise can I do while Im pregnant. Help!! Thank you!!!

Replies

• kelliewujek
    Options
    Hello Ida!

Check with your doctor but I seem to recall you should be eating an extra 500 calories per day.
  • kelliewujek
    Options
    Oh and CONGRATS!!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I thought I heard 300 cals per day added for pregnancy and 300-500 extra after the baby is born if you are breastfeeding... But you should consult your dr to find out for sure. :)

Oh... and... CONGRATS!!! :D:D:D:flowerforyou:
  • kelliewujek
    Options
    Check out Fit Pregnancy magazine and don't over think it! I gained more than I wanted with my daughter but she is PERFECT so I wouldn't take it back for a minute!
  • MissMandy1010
    MissMandy1010 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    when you're pregnant you only need to consume an extra 300 calories a day. And they shouldn't be bad calories, like a piece of chocolate cake!! (although... sometimes thats just what you want!! haha)
    I would talk to your doctor re exercise, but mine encouraged exercises that weren't too extreme or that required balance. Exercise is very good for pregnant moms to be! I just never had much energy... but good luck!! and congrats :-)
  • xdannigirl
    xdannigirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that you DON'T want to maintain or lose weight while you are pregnant! talk to your doctor and do whatever he/she says, because you want to have the happiest, healthiest baby that you can!

congrats! :D

<3
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Always check wih your doctor,but I think it is 300 above Maintainance calories, and maybe not necessarily in the first ntrimester....as far as exercise, they say anything you were doing before, you can do while pregnant..within reason, of course, and with modications as needed. I will say though, that laying flat on your back for any exercise after the first trimester is a no no b/c it can cut off oxygen to the baby, and ab routines are probbaly out :P Walking is always great and healthy, as is gentle aerobics, swimming, and some others. Just always check with your doctor on all these things b/c he would know your medical history and all that. Good luck and congrats!!!! :)
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Guess the vacation did it huh? :tongue: I would say keep doing as much as you feel comfortable with as long as the Dr. approves. I read an article on Self or Shape about a woman who loved running and she did it all the way through her 7th or 8th month.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! When I found out I was pregnant I set my calories to maintain my pre-pregnancy weight, which my doctor agreed with. Once I reached the second trimester he said I need 300 more a day.

As long as you are not high risk you can continue any exercise you're body is used to doing, just don't start anything new. Obviously you will eventually have to modify your workouts the farther along you are. I was paranoid and stopped doing crunches and anything the involved twisting my stomach area right away, but my doctor told me it was safe in the first trimester.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That's really an appropriate question for your doctor.

Congratulations!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    I wouldn't want to advise you as it's a really important thing to get right... however, I wanted to say congratulations!!!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you're 'normal' weight- 300 more after the first trimester. :) Exercise you can do whatever you were doing as long as you feel up to it and unless your doctor advised you otherwise. (I've had 4 children ;) )Congratulations!! H&H 9!!!
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Guess the vacation did it huh? :tongue: I would say keep doing as much as you feel comfortable with as long as the Dr. approves. I read an article on Self or Shape about a woman who loved running and she did it all the way through her 7th or 8th month.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I guess so! I am really not sure when it happen but Im pretty sure it was around that time.

Thank you all for your advice! I really eant to stay active and healthy!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody! I just found out last night after 2 home pregnancy test that I am pregnant! :happy: I want to mantain a healthy weight and I am wondering how much calories should I be eating. I am 5'3" and 117 lbs last time I weighed myself. I had my calories in maintenance eating about 1540 calories a day. Should I increase or mantain my calorie intake?? I would also like to know what exercise can I do while Im pregnant. Help!! Thank you!!!

Eeek, this is more of a doctor question, I think. You probably have a normal BMI. My nurse-midwife told me to gain about 25 lbs. Gained a perfect 23. ;) Just stay healthy! There is a lot of crazy advice running around on here.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I think you've gotten some good advice, and I'm sure your doctor will be able to point you in the right direction. In general, 300-500 extra calories is a good range, but I think more important than focusing on or restricting calories is making sure that you are eating foods with really great nutritional value. When I was pregnant, I had a lot of pregnant friends who sort of obsessed about how much or how fast they were gaining, and trying to keep it below a certain amount per week. But the important thing is making sure you're getting proper nutrition (which I'm sure you know :) ).

I had big plans to continue exercising during my pregnancy, but 5 months of extreme nausea and puking really did me in! And I gained too much weight early on (in my opinion). My doctor never seemed concerned about it, though, and I had no complications, so I really can't complain. I hope you have better luck with all of that than I did!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can actually go your food log and put in "pregnancy" and there is a listing for extra calories during pregnancy....it gives you an extra 300, so as long as your doctor is cool with that, you can even have it in your log :) It is the same for breastfeeding....I put in "breastfeeding" on my breakfast log and it gave me -500...meaning 500 extra calories for the day :P
  • KHaverstick
    Options
    You can actually go your food log and put in "pregnancy" and there is a listing for extra calories during pregnancy....it gives you an extra 300, so as long as your doctor is cool with that, you can even have it in your log :) It is the same for breastfeeding....I put in "breastfeeding" on my breakfast log and it gave me -500...meaning 500 extra calories for the day :P
    That's cool! Good to know for the future...

Edited to say: I just went to check it out, and there are different options for different stages of breastfeeding (i.e. exclusive breastfeeding, breastfeeding older baby, tandem nursing, etc). i am actually still breastfeeding--mostly just morning and before bed, and so I chose the "minimal feedings/older baby" option, and it added an extra 200 calories to my limit. Hm...i wonder how that will affect my weight loss. Possibly I've been eating too few calories. I guess I will try and see, but if i start gaining, I'll cut it out. Still good to know for the future!
  • mandysonnier
    mandysonnier Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I was looking for the same information, but tried what you said above and it didn't work. Maybe I'm going to the wrong thing, but it's not working for me. Could you give more detial on how to set this? Thanks =)
  • mandysonnier
    mandysonnier Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I was looking for the same information, but tried what you said above and it didn't work. Maybe I'm going to the wrong thing, but it's not working for me. Could you give more detial on how to set this? Thanks =)

Ah, nevermind! I found it right after I wrote this. I had to search for "eating for pregnancy" for it to come up. Thanks!
  • KHaverstick
    Options

Type "pregnancy" or "breastfeeding" into the search function in your food diary (like you are searching for a food), and it will bring up a database entry that you can add to your food diary. It will add negative calories (I.e. increasing your total for the day). Hope that helps!