Juicing-

Options
laurenlmt
laurenlmt Posts: 142 Member
I am sure there is already a thread about this but I am starting juicing (once my juicer arrives) I am looking more to incorporate it into my daily life. Does anyone do this if so how often?

Replies

• laurenlmt
    Options
    Also I am allergic to apples and other non-tropical fruit that grows on trees- pears, plums. What are some of your fav recipes that done include these fruits? I am juicing mainly because I cant stand kale or spinach alone however I would love to have them in my juices.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you sure you don't mean a mixer like a vitamix or a ninja? Some people like those better because they keep all the pulp/fiber and are easier to clean. I like adding blueberries and coconut water (what are you not allergic to)?
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    no I bought a juicer I already own a vitamix. I am allergic to apples, pears and plums.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    I am looking to make juice not smoothies.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What's the purpose of the juices? Will you be counting the calories? Where will you get your fibre from?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I used to juice back in the day but I just don't have room in my diet for all those liquid calories. I used to put an orange or grapes in pretty much every juice I made. But when I started logging here, I realized there would be 200-400 calories in my glass of juice, and it just wasn't worth it.

I will a few times a week make a protein smoothie in my vitamix with frozen greens and berries to get an extra serving or two of produce in. It works for me because greens and berries are fairly low cal and the fiber and protein powder help fill me up a bit more.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    Yes I will be calculating calories veggies and fruits have minimal anyways. In regards to fiber I am not doing sole juicing I plan on eating oats and nuts and beans and rice in my other meals.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    thanks for the info kimny I am not looking at it for meal replacement. I am vegan and with my work outs I do I usually am in need of more calories every day!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A good tasting juice mix I've done in the past is spinach, carrot, apple and ginger. Substitute the apple for something you can use. Adding a little lemon to fruit juices makes a magical change.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Juicing you only get the sugar and not the fiber and then you have all the leftover pulp. My friend made "cookies" out of it. Why are you wanting to juice what do you want to get out of it?
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    I am looking to add more vegetables mainly into my diet. I have read a lot of good things about it I know people who have done it and enjoyed it. I am mainly interested because of the health benefits. I dont like kale, beets or spinach in food form the only leafy green I really eat is salad. I was told juicing would be good for me since its usually not just one thing mixed in.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    I get plenty of fiber from other sources that is not my worry I just feel like I am missing out on nutrients
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't think you realize you can make a green drink in your Vitamix (and it comes out velvety smooth). I have never used my mixer for anything else but green/veggie drinks. I don't do smoothies.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think you realize you can make a green drink in your Vitamix (and it comes out velvety smooth). I have never used my mixer for anything else but green/veggie drinks. I don't do smoothies.

Yeah, I have a Vitamix and it completely purees any greens that I put into a smoothie (including heavy greens like kale). I don't have to worry about what to do with the pulp, I keep all the fiber, and a Vitamix is so much easier to clean than a juicer.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    I tried it and it made it too thick its the texture it make me gag. I use my vitamix to make soups mostly and sauces and vegan mayo and cheese and stuff like that.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    laurenlmt wrote: »
    I tried it and it made it too thick its the texture it make me gag. I use my vitamix to make soups mostly and sauces and vegan mayo and cheese and stuff like that.

Not trying to second-guess you (you can juice if you want to), but have you tried adding liquid? When I add water or almond milk, I can create a thinner texture in my blended fruits and vegetables.
  • laurenlmt
    Options
    I am looking for liquid forms I will still probably strain the juice. I am the type that hates pulp in my OJ. I want to also juice things like beets I read those dont do well in the vitamix.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Go ahead, strain the result of the vitamix. You'll be surprised you may find nothing. I add at least 12 ounces of water to my green drink when making otherwise I end up with glob.
    I have a feeling you will be extremely disappointed with a juicer. Especially after spending time cleaning it.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've never juiced (I blend, instead - I don't mind thicker drinks), but one of my favorite mixes is strawberry, beet, orange. You need to cook and peel the beets, first, but it's a yummy combo. Spinach works well with any berry because it has a delicate flavor, but Kale tends to be strong no matter what you do. I love kale so it's not a problem for me and it works well with apples, but since you're allergic pick another strong tasting fruit - maybe kiwi? Carrots and ginger are a good combo, too.

ETA: go to the grocery store and look at the ingredients list for different juices/ juice mixes (like V8 Fusion) that sound tasty and go from there. Sub anything you're allergic to and experiment.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    laurenlmt wrote: »
    I am looking for liquid forms I will still probably strain the juice. I am the type that hates pulp in my OJ. I want to also juice things like beets I read those dont do well in the vitamix.

I have had great results blending beets in my Vitamix, but if you're just looking to strain it, try a nut milk bag. It's a mesh bag that people use to make plant-based milks smoother, but it would also work for fruit or vegetable mixtures. It will get the pulp out and you can wash the bag and reuse it as much as you want. I got mine for under ten dollars on Amazon.