For LOW-CARB eaters!

Options
I am just now starting the low-carb lifestyle change and I am desperately seeking any tips/tricks, advice, recipes, success stories, motivation, coffee making tips (always been a creamer & sugar coffee drinker), anything to help me as I'm just starting.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Not low carb, but I use stevia in coffee rather than sugar. I'm not 100% sure what "creamer" is made up of, but would cream be lower carb? Or full fat milk? I've also made coffee whizzed up with coconut oil - not for its weight loss benefits, but because I enjoy it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting, and desperate to boot - I'd actually advice taking a step back... and learn how weight loss works. You lose weight through consistently taking in fewer calories than your body burns. Low carb isn't necessary for this, but it can be effective for you - it is if low carb makes you eat less. If you don't eat less, you don't lose weight.

You don't need any special recipes. I strongly recommend learning how to cook. Cooking doesn't have to be expensive, time-consuming or difficult to be healthy and tasty - if you can cook.

Don't look further for "motivation" - motivation is your wanting to do something about your situation and your trust in your ability to do so. You either have it or don't have it.

Don't arbitrarily cut out your favorites - instead be selective, investigate what foods/treats you can keep and still hit your calorie goal. You will have to make priorities, but your general feeling should be satisfied, energetic and happy.
  • carlosrperez
    carlosrperez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started with the military diet, you can google it. After, the military diet, I lost close to four pounds, and not the ten advertised with the diet, and I wanted to continue loosing weight, then I sign up to MFP to track my calorie intake. I continue to eat everything I did in the past but I log everything to understand my calorie intake, and I don't go above my calorie count. I am happy with the success I see so far, I tried exercising a lot in the past but was unable to see the result I am seeing right now. Good luck to you!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Start with plain old black coffee and add whole milk or half and half or cream, plus whatever artificial sweetener you like -- I use sucralose/Splenda but there are certainly a whole raft of sweeteners out there. DaVinci or Torani sugarfree syrups are really good if you like sweetened flavored coffee -- hazelnut is the bomb.

Cooking can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Roast chicken (or grilled steak or shrimp or lamb or pork chop) and green veg for dinner is always an option. Eggs are your friend.

I could go on and on, but why don't you come by the Low Carber Daily Forum -- there's lots of info there.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the low carb lifestyle - it worked amazingly for me - but before I jumped in I did tons of research - join keto facebook groups and you will get tons of helpful info!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

A lot of helpful people there.
    Good luck. :)