C25K App/Training Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• fgsn
    fgsn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've used the Zombies! Run C25K app and I really like it! It gets you into running a bit slower than the traditional C25K with 30 seconds of running, one minute of walking.
  • emiliebecause
    emiliebecause Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say all are for true beginners. I have run across some that expect you to start by running for a minute and walking for 5 minutes. I cannot run a minute at a time.

I can walk very long distances for long periods of time, I just have never been able to run.

All the apps are based on the same plan, originally from coolrunning.com

Personally I used the NHS podcasts, alongside Runkeeper for GPS tracking.

The key with all of them is to calibrate your pace. If you run too quickly and can't complete a running portion, slow down until you can.

Personally I generally don't agree with the repeat weeks until you're happy mantra. If you don't complete a week then repeat once. It's too easy to get stuck of you're not making yourself uncomfortable.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't say all are for true beginners. I have run across some that expect you to start by running for a minute and walking for 5 minutes. I cannot run a minute at a time.

I can walk very long distances for long periods of time, I just have never been able to run.

If you really think you can't make it (i suspect your pace is just too fast) then you can add 2-3 weeks to the start like this:

What if I can't complete the first day?
    If you can't complete the program's first week, then add the following to the beginning of your program:

Week -1: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 30 seconds, walk 60 seconds. Repeat the run and walk. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.

Week 0: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 45 seconds, walk 90 seconds. repeat 3 times. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.

Complete each of the above 3 times in a single week and then, either a) move onto week 1 or b) complete "Week 0.5" below

Week 0.5: Do a 5-minute warm-up walk. Run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds, repeat 4 times. Do a 5-minute cooldown walk.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I also did the ZenLabs app. I finished it a couple of months ago and have been maintaining, but have now started the 10k trainer. I had a really difficult time finishing the first week. The first three weeks were actually probably the hardest for me. But it truly does work. Just slow your pace way down. Once you finish the app, you can work on pace if you want. When I finally could run a full mile, my mile times were about 12+ minutes. They are now about 8 minutes (I started in February). You can do it!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I also recommend the Zenlabs C25k app- it is free and awesome. Seriously, start slow and get fitted with some good running shoes from a running store- this advice was completely invaluable to me as a beginner (I actually had to start with just walking for a few weeks to even get to the C25k app, I was almost completely sedentary in the beginning). Good luck!
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So what app do you suggest?

Lulu has apps for a Run/Walk/Run program on iPhone for several distances from 5K to marathon. I do not know if there is an Android version. You can set the run/walk segments to match your ability (:5 secs secs run/:30 min walk, on up to run segments of 7 minutes).

You can also set your cadence to match your ability. Maybe you can do 160 steps per minute, maybe you can go faster or need to go slower. You can control this within the app. The app automatically slows to an appropriate
    pace when walking segments come up

Best feature of all (to me) is they provide music adjusted to your cadence. If you can keep a beat to music, you can maintain your cadence.

Here is a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-5k-run-walk-run-beginner-advanced-training-plans/id425601262?mt=8

• Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ooops...that's Lolo, not Lulu.
  • melism1
    melism1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use ZenLabs too. I had some setbacks over the past couple of years and haven't done any running, so I just started from the beginning this weekend. I did Day 1 twice just to feel good about it as I know the feeling of frustration when you get stuck on a hard week. I love the suggestion of slowing down and will have to remember that!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I completed Day 1 this morning. I must be in better shape now than I was the last time I tried a C25K. I did not struggle much at all and felt like I could have maybe gone faster. 1 minute is not as far as I was thinking it would be. I am really excited to continue on my journey. BTW: I chose ZenLabs, and I LOVE my new running shoes.

great stuff, well done!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I also did the ZenLabs C25K program. Before starting the program I had never run a quarter of a mile in my adult life, and by the time I finished I could run for 20 minutes straight without breaks. It really does work if you keep to it. It helped me that my brother (who is in excellent shape and runs for fun) basically dragged me out the door to go running for the first couple of weeks, because starting was the hardest. After the first 2-3 weeks I looked forward to running.

The best advice my brother gave me was to practice on the type of track that I'd be doing my 5K on. In spite of this advice, I ran mostly on padded running tracks. The pain I experienced when I did my 5K on streets/cement was something I wasn't prepared for and I was unable to run the whole 5K (took several walking breaks).
  • KLJ13
    KLJ13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    YEP, Zen labs too. I just finished week 7. I never thought I would be able to run 22 minutes straight, but this program has worked well for me. I am 49 and decided that before my 50th birthday next year, I wanted to do something I've never done. So this was what I picked. I am LOVING this program.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I completed Day 1 this morning. I must be in better shape now than I was the last time I tried a C25K. I did not struggle much at all and felt like I could have maybe gone faster. 1 minute is not as far as I was thinking it would be. I am really excited to continue on my journey. BTW: I chose ZenLabs, and I LOVE my new running shoes.

Awesome! Congratulations on your first day.

I'm another Zen labs user (I'm using their 10K trainer)
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Day 2 is in the books. I must have ran a little faster because I added some distance with the same timed workout. I was also feeling the effort a little more today than I did on day 1.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I need to bring this discussion back because I JUST FINISHED MY C25K!! It is crazy to think at the beginning of this discussion I was thinking that there was no way I could run for a solid minute. This morning I ran for 30 minutes straight. I want to thank everyone for their words of advise and ideas for which app to use.

Next for me: Increase the running to at least 36 minutes and add a little more hills before my first race in 2 weeks. After that, it's on to 10K training :smiley:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I need to bring this discussion back because I JUST FINISHED MY C25K!! It is crazy to think at the beginning of this discussion I was thinking that there was no way I could run for a solid minute. This morning I ran for 30 minutes straight. I want to thank everyone for their words of advise and ideas for which app to use.

Next for me: Increase the running to at least 36 minutes and add a little more hills before my first race in 2 weeks. After that, it's on to 10K training :smiley:

Congratulations- well done! :smiley: