Whole Milk is best.

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm in Australia. I know what cereal is lol We too have breakfast cereals :tongue: It's the "cold" part i don't understand. What is "cold" cereal?

It's the kind of cereal you don't cook, or normally eat warm.

I like some kinds of oats (mostly steel cut -- texture thing), what you'd call porridge, I think. That's it for cereal. The stuff you pour from a box (or whatever other source) and add milk to, ugh, I don't understand the appeal at all.

I get I'm weird and everyone disagrees with me. My whole childhood if I stayed at someone else's house I had to choke it down and pretend to like it, since that was politeness.

Edit: I don't know if it's US specific or even more regional or what, but my dad often calls oatmeal "hot cereal."

That's what I call it, I really never thought about it much. I come from Queens btw though I've been in California a long time, and I still find differences in how I think about things vs what people call them.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I choose no dairy. Dairy seriously messes me up.
    Tummy troubles, breakouts, reddish skin. Nope.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always drink a 12 oz glass of 2% milk post workout. Not too much fat, not too little. Just right for me :smile:
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    But, but ..... in winter I eat my cold cereal hot and in summer my hot cereal cold. Has that thrown a spanner in the works?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    But, but ..... in winter I eat my cold cereal hot and in summer my hot cereal cold. Has that thrown a spanner in the works?

Lol no, cos that's exactly what i do :lol:

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal with orange juice...
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You get some extra fat and protein in whole milk so therefore, you will feel full for longer.

Personally, I don't believe cow's milk is a requirement for a human diet and do not consume it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You get some extra fat and protein in whole milk so therefore, you will feel full for longer.

Personally, I don't believe cow's milk is a requirement for a human diet and do not consume it.

When I look at the wide variety of diets throughout human history, I have to conclude that hardly any food would be required for us. Yet we have to eat something.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

What food is a requirement for a human diet?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Not when you are lactose intolerant. I'll stay with my Almond Milk....
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Idk? I do t drink milk, it grosses me out lol.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of eating whatever works to meet your calorie goals.

I personally went through a long period of time (8ish years) where I couldn't consume cow milk without severe and debilitating gastrointestinal problems. I drank almond milk during that period but wasn't a huge fan. During my pregnancy last year I suddenly realized I could drink milk without the bad effects anymore. Now I drink 2% or 1% several times a week without issues.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Gross. I just can't do it. Skim for me.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I grew up on powdered skim milk. Never again. Can't even stand the smell of the powder.

I adore whole milk though, I make a flat white almost every day at home when I can. The froth is so rich and creamy. I tried lesser fat milks but the froth always collapses or gets a 'dry' taste to it. Either way, drink what makes you happy and don't put things in your mouth that you don't want there ;)

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I drink semi-skimmed (about 2% fat) purely because skimmed milk tastes like crap. Use whole milk when a recipe calls for it but I think to say it is "best" is just nonsense. It's down to preference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I do both yin and yang: unsweetened soy milk for some applications; heavy cream for others. Never much been one for moderation.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of eating whatever works to meet your calorie goals.

I personally went through a long period of time (8ish years) where I couldn't consume cow milk without severe and debilitating gastrointestinal problems. I drank almond milk during that period but wasn't a huge fan. During my pregnancy last year I suddenly realized I could drink milk without the bad effects anymore. Now I drink 2% or 1% several times a week without issues.

This is interesting! The same thing happened with a friend of mine.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm in Australia. I know what cereal is lol We too have breakfast cereals :tongue: It's the "cold" part i don't understand. What is "cold" cereal?
    I thought 'cold cereal' just meant cereal out of a box, as opposed to hot porridge off the hob/out of the microwave. Usually used by people who would actually otherwise make fresh hot porridge for brekkie.

Aah ok, maybe thats it.

Cold cereal is eaten out of the box/bag crunchy with cold milk. Hot cereal is oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, etc. eaten hot/cooked. :drinker:

I'm from the UK and the 'hot cereal/cold cereal' thing sounds odd to me too, because when we say 'breakfast cereal' we only ever mean the cold crunchy stuff. I realise porridge etc are technically 'cereals' (as are polenta, rice etc) but we don't use the term in that way when talking about breakfast.

I'm from the UK and eat regular cereal with cold milk or with warm milk depending on what I fancy. Soggy warm cornflakes are a great comfort food :)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I normally have 1% milk. I like the taste. When I drink whole milk it is like drinking cream, it is so very rich in taste.