Can I still lose weight drinking wine?

Options
n_green_l
n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
If I count it within my calories so I don't go over, would a glass of wine a night or every other night affect my weight loss?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nope, I have a glass most nights :) As long as you hit your calorie target you'll lose weight. Enjoy!

edited for clarity
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drank wine (or bourbon) just about every night when I was losing weight. As long as I consistently hit my calorie goals, I was fine.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nah wine is fine. Anything is fine so long as you stay within your calorie goal. I haven't had wine in awhile but I do enjoy a good red. I had a couple beers 1-2 months ago and stayed under my calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight whether you drink wine or not.
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a relatively small appetite for food so find it easy to fit in a glass or more regularly. I do drink extra gazoodles of water if I know I'm going to have a drink. Like the thought that I'm flushing it through and diluting it!
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've managed 35lbs so far with frequent wine drinking (and even more frequent gin drinking). Just remember to count the calories and you'll be fine.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    You of course can lose weigh drinking while drinking alcohol (CICO) but it really messes up my macros with empty cals & carbs when I do, requiring me to do extra cardio 15 mins of rowing for each drink) in order to free up additional cals so that I can eat more in order to meet my protein macro.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Every time I drink wine I go over my calories. Whenever I get to maintenance, with regular exercise, I'm sure I can fit it in more easily. It's hard to give up the calories from food when I'm eating around 1200 calories. I suppose if I limited it to one 5 ounce glass on days I exercised I could fit it in.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.

Actually studies prove that sugar, especially refined sugar, can greatly affect weight gain. Example is that if you meet your caloric goal but the calories come from mostly sugars, then you certainly won't be losing any weight because the body will continue to store excess sugar as fat. The key is to remove these sugars from the diet so that your body produces the chemicals need to burn fat (Ghrelin) rather than store.

Actually, no.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nope! Just log it and you'll be fine. Alcohol does increase your water weight temporarily though so just be aware in case you see a slight bump in the scale after consuming alcohol.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories the alcohol calories screw up my macros. I drank wine, then switched to 1.5 oz scotch a night. I finally just cut it out entirely except for very special occasions. With wine I can also fall into the munching and mixing bowl scenario. Not so with scotch. Easier with neither.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating properly and exercising to remain calorie deficient: wine is not a problem.

Hell, I just came back from a two week vacation in London in which I seriously drank my way though every beer Britain makes and still lost weight. (Okay, 1 lb in two weeks, but still...) I just did A LOT of walking, seriously, a lot. On my tracker, I averaged more than 10 miles a day!!!! I literally walked almost everywhere.