How do they figure your calorie amount?

Options
Hello,

I am new to the this site but have lost 60 pounds over the coarse of a year. I also quit smoking April of this year and have gained 7 pounds, my goal is to lose that again and then some. I have been stuck at the same weight for months now and want to get past this slump. So i joined for a different approach.
I would like to know how your calorie amount per day is calculated. Is it height, age weight or all. Does anyone know exactly.

Thanks for any help and good luck with your journey.

Replies

• syreetahasting
    Options
    I go by how many calories I burn a day..I burn anywhere from 300-900 calories so I eat 1400-1500 a day I do not eat the calories I burned though
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Height, weight, age, gender, and how much you weigh. It then suggests recalculating after every 10 lbs you lose.

Oh, and then it adds any exercise calories you burn in the day so that you can make up the extra deficit you have from exercising.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on the 60 pounds lost. They figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) using your height, age, current weight and gender. This tells them how many calories you need to consume to do nothing and maintain your weight. Then they take the amount of pounds that you want to lose a week and multiply that by 3500 (this is the amount of calories you have to reduce to lose a pound). So, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, you have to reduce your BMR calories by 3500 for the week. Then they take that value, divide by 7 to get the daily reduction, and subtract that from your BMR

Example:

BMR 2000
    Losing 1.5 pounds a week = 3500 * 1.5 = 5250/7 = 750
    So, you have to reduce your daily calories by 750 to lose 1.5 pounds per week.
    2000-750 = 1250 calories per day

If you don't do any exercise, but eat this many calories per day, then you should lose 1.5 pounds per week. But, everyone's body is different and it may not work exactly. If you do work out, then you must eat back your exercise calories for this to work, otherwise you are going below the daily minimum needed for your body to run effectively.

I hope this helps. You can friend me if you would like to go through this journey together. I lost 30 pounds last year, and am back to finish off the last little bit, and tone up this year. :)
  • danielsouchek
    Options
    It figures your basic metabolic rate and it seems to go by weight, height ect. It is probably not exact but its close. If you want to be more exact there are some good heart rate monitors you wear like a watch that record your heart rate and can calculate your calorie burn more efficiently. Hope this helps. This site is great.... Keep up the good work ...You will be out of this rut in no time.
  • roseheart79
    roseheart79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that has helped me with my question! Thanks!