Asthma and Fitness Help?

Options
I'm hoping on hearing from people who have struggled with asthma, and managed to overcome it with exercise. I have had it my entire life, so it makes staying motivated to work out hard. I usually take my inhaler about 5-10 min. before exercise, and warm up about for about 5 min. That does help quite a bit, but I still have a hard time sometimes. Is this something that will lessen as I continue conditioning myself? Does anyone have any pointers about getting fit while suffering from asthma?

Note: I have talked to a docter about my asthma. But, we've only worked out controlling my daily symptoms and to take my rescue inhaler before working out.

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My asthma has never been too bad, but I get flare ups with activity/exercise, which always kept me from doing much. Having asthma plus being out of shape made it sooo hard to breathe when I was working out, which made it even harder to be motivated.

I started using the inhaler before workouts, which was incredibly helpful. I've noticed that regular exercise has helped improve my lung capacity and makes the "out of shape" breathing better, which then puts less pressure on my lungs overall. There have been times when I forget my inhaler ahead of time and realize I don't even need it. When I was first starting, I would notice within a few minutes if I forgot, and wouldn't be able to keep going. So regular exercise definitely has helped me, and I would guess things will get better for you also.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :smile: I just gotta keep it going.
  • Zhatan
    Zhatan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma my entire life as well but it's alot better now when grown up then it was as a child and I no longer use an inhaler.
    It still comes back for me when I exert myself or when it's very cold outside but I just power through as it never becomes so bad that I can't breathe at all.

I guess I just accepted it and try to do the best I can with what I have.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have allergies, but since getting my allergies back under control, my asthma is doing way better. The humidity in my area has been the biggest hurdle this summer. There's not really much I can do for that besides dehumidifier. I just listen to my body. If I'm gasping for air, I don't keep pushing through my exercise. I figure no exercise is worth a trip to the ER for an asthma attack. Like any other condition, no two patients will have the same treatment plan and you may have to talk to your doctors if you feel like one variable isn't doing enough for you. For what it's worth, I take two allergy meds and a preventative inhaler daily, with weekly allergy shots. Disclaimer: I'm not at all saying that will be anyone's course of action besides mine, but that is my treatment plan that has made all the difference after years of trying different treatments. I am now able to run outside breathing easier after suffering from asthma attacks during the same runs growing up. Hope you find relief for the long term!! Stay positive!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I had asthma growing up and thru early adulthood. I ran track in high school & college. Used my inhaler before each meet, mostly precautionary. Allergies have been the last thing to induce any kind of wheezing or shortness of breath, but I haven't needed my inhaler in well over 10 years now.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    I don't know if you have allergies, but since getting my allergies back under control, my asthma is doing way better. The humidity in my area has been the biggest hurdle this summer. There's not really much I can do for that besides dehumidifier. I just listen to my body. If I'm gasping for air, I don't keep pushing through my exercise. I figure no exercise is worth a trip to the ER for an asthma attack. Like any other condition, no two patients will have the same treatment plan and you may have to talk to your doctors if you feel like one variable isn't doing enough for you. For what it's worth, I take two allergy meds and a preventative inhaler daily, with weekly allergy shots. Disclaimer: I'm not at all saying that will be anyone's course of action besides mine, but that is my treatment plan that has made all the difference after years of trying different treatments. I am now able to run outside breathing easier after suffering from asthma attacks during the same runs growing up. Hope you find relief for the long term!! Stay positive!
    I am on prescription and OTC allergy meds for allergies actually. I've been wanting to get allergy shots and testing as well as it's a big contributor to my asthma, but I have been waiting for a while because that will be an expensive venture. The allergy meds control the daily attacks pretty well, but does nothing to prevent exercise induced attacks. I was on Advair for a while but A) It's super expensive, and B ) it lights my lungs on fire when I start to exert myself. Maybe I'll look into a different maintenance inhaler... I slow down if I feel one coming on. Sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't so I take my inhaler and continue once it kicks in. Thank you for your input, gives me more reasons I need to get my *kitten* into an allergist.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    I have some friends that have tried it, I'm not sure about it. The fact it cuts out healthy things like legumes and whole grains make me a little leary. I may need to try it one day though. Or just eliminate things one at a time. :)
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am a severe asthmatic that was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis in my lungs. I lift weights, do yoga, walk daily, and run 5 kms a few times a week. I live in Alberta and the smoke from the forest fires has made even walking difficult this summer. Add me if you want.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i've had asthma my entire life. when i first started working out i would use my inhaler before i walked into the gym, and i remember very vividly, although it was a decade ago, getting on the elliptical for the first time and thinking i was going to die after less than 10 minutes. that day i used my inhaler again. the next day, i used it before, slowed down a bit and made it to 10 minutes. after a few months i was doing 45 minutes with my inhaler in my locker as a rarely used back up. the better my cardiovascular fitness the less i rely on albuterol. i do keep taking low dose advair once a day, because my insurance miraculously covers it and i haven't found it to cause any difficulties, but i take it before bed time only and usually work out in the evening so YMMV.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is pretty inspirational for me. I was diagnosed when I was little, and I seem to remember that the conventional wisdom of the early 90s was to avoid anything that triggers it, including exercise. I'm finding now in my adult life I should have been doing the exact opposite( In regards to exercise). I just need to keep going and not quit. (I'm a bad serial starter with working out). It's just nice to know it should get better as I continue to get myself in better condition.

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and have a decent amount of allergies. When I first started working out I took Breo, rescue inhaler before workout, allergy shots and daily Zyrtec. 8 months later, I only do allergy shots and daily Zyrtec. The heaving hard cardio has helped me tremendously. I'm assuming during peak allergy I'll need inhaler for a few weeks but not sure as if yet. If you have sinus issues, Nielmed nasal squeeze bottle helps a ton if you do it once or twice a day a while before basal spray, etc.
  • TXMelRuns
    TXMelRuns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, anyone still here? I would love to find a community of folks with asthma working on their fitness and overall health!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to MFP! I'm still not good at consistant excersise, but trying to make it more regular has helped my asthma a lot. I just take my rescue inhaler about 10 minutes before I start anything strenuous. Staying on top of my maintenance inhaler seems to prevent a lot of my attacks as well. Also I finally got to that allergist. And allergy shots are in my future now. Hopefully that helps too.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I had to start on long-term maintenance medication once I started exercising every day/every other day, as it's not good to take your rescue inhaler so many times a week, even if it's to preempt exercise-induced asthma and you're not actually having any asthma symptoms yet. I avoid exercising outdoors during spring and take Allegra nightly. I have adult-onset asthma that started out as exercise-induced asthma and is now just regular old mild intermittent asthma, for what it's worth.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Like others above, I've also had asthma all my life but only had to use an inhaler for awhile during my 20's. I'm in my 60's now.

I do not run (EVER) and don't cycle any more but I row daily and sometimes do a Tabata routine on the rower. I am gasping for breath when I'm done doing a Tabata rowing rputine (which is as it should be) but it doesn't trigger an attack. No problems when walking, hiking or lifting either.

So, it appears that my asthma is no longer an issue. Don't know if I just "grew out of it" or if my physical training & conditioning had anything to do w/it.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    I've noticed when I'm staying on top of my cardio fitness my excercise induced attacks are either less severe , or less frequent. I'm not sure asthma is something one can "grow out of". I've been waiting 20 years for it to happen, lol. But I think lifestyle choices such as excercise, maintaining a healthy weight, & avoiding allergens could be key contributors to why people appear to not have it anymore later in life. I actually started Couch to 5k early in the year. A cold and then crazy busy schedule derailed completion of the program. But, I noticed my lung function improved quite a bit during this time. The onset of any excersise induced asthma attacks was delayed by quite a bit. I was able to do short bursts of cardio without instant wheezing. I probably should start it up again, lol. Life hasn't slowed down since like, March though. I need to figure this out, hah.
  • jburke113
    jburke113 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 60s and have had allergic asthma for about 30 years. I swim laps 2 to 3 times a week. I'm on a long-acting inhaler, and I use my rescue inhaler 10-15 minutes before I get in the pool. I swim with a snorkel so I can breathe continuously. So far, so good!