Adding hand weights to my walking routine...good or bad idea?

Options
jslick0677
jslick0677 Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I just ordered a 3 pound set (1.5 pound each) of hand walking wrist weights which I will wear like a glove...as I don't like to carry things when I'm walking.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on how to incorporate these?
Suggested movement?

I've read several articles on how adding literally just a couple pounds can boost you burn and help with toning.

I'm not looking to use this as my only method, just curious if it has any real value add.

BTW, add me if you like...

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this will probably not help much with weight loss and definitely will not increase muscle building (this requires a calorie surplus and lifting heavy). 3 pounds isn't much (a regular bag of sugar is anywhere from 3-5 pounds). Calorie deficits cause weight loss. Exercise increases your TDEE.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Carry 2 water bottles, it will do the same thing, and save you money.

As said already, It's not enough weight to matter. If you want to incorporate light strength/load work to your walks, Suitcase/farmer walks will build you up... that being said, keep the distance short 20-100 meters and keep the weights low(15-25% of BW to start)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Bad idea. You gonna bulk up.

Seriously though. Just carry water around, will accomplish the same thing, close to nothing.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Seriously though. Just carry water around, will accomplish the same thing, close to nothing.

If you wanna get swoled, use 2x gallon bottles.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

If you wanna get swoled, use 2x gallon bottles.

I should try this
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You won't tone up using light weights while walking. Walking can be great cardio....period.

Get some heavier weights and do dumbbell exercises separately. Give yourself the opportunity to really focus on the moves (using good form) so you don't injure yourself.

Google bodyweight exercise too......push ups, squats, planks. These would also help.

You see "walking style" exercise videos using light weights (Leslie Sansone). But it's more of a reminder to use your arms more.....raises above the head, push out to the front, etc. This will burn slightly more calories, but nothing substantial.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Throw the hand weights into a back pack, the hand weights may mess up your gait and shoulder joints.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are 2 questions here: will carrying hand weights have any strength benefits and will carrying hand weights boost the intensity/calorie burn of my walking?

The answer to the first is "no".

The answer to the second is "not really". Carrying weights does little to boost intensity. Swinging arms (so that thumb reaches shoulder height in front of you) CAN increase intensity/calorie burn, but small weights add little to that effect--it's mostly due to the arm swing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Assuming relatively flat terrain walking buns about 30 cal / mile per 100lbs of body weight. Carrying an additional 3lbs with you while walking would account for an additional .9 cal burned per mile walked.
  • Royal1954
    Royal1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not much "boost your burn and toning".

Nevertheless I do swing my arms in a structured pattern for a good portion of my walk at lunch at work. I don't expect anything from it but I do it so that it's not just my legs getting all the activity. Walk time for me is usually 1:15 - 1:45 minutes. I swing my arms for portions of this.

Here's what I do:

I do the following sequence of arm swings over and over as long as I feel like it.
    Every step with each foot is a count.
    I use a four count most of the time.
    From one pattern directly into the next

count 1 - left arm curl
    count 2 - right arm curl
    count 3 - left arm curl
    count 4 - right arm curl

count 1 - left arm reverse curl
    count 2 - right arm reverse curl
    count 3 - left arm reverse curl
    count 4 - right arm reverse curl

count 1 - left arm straight swing up out front to shoulder/head height or above
    count 2 - right arm straight swing up out front to shoulder/head height or above
    count 3 - left arm straight swing up out front to shoulder/head height or above
    count 4 - right arm straight swing up out front to shoulder/head height or above

count 1 - left arm straight swing out to side shoulder height/slightly above
    count 2 - right arm straight swing out to side side shoulder height/slightly above
    count 3 - left arm straight swing out to side shoulder height/slightly above
    count 4 - right arm straight swing up to side shoulder height/slightly above

count 1 - left _and_ right arm swing out in front of your head together so wrist/forearm crosses (left over right)
    count 2 - left _and_ right arm stay at shoulder height and pull back with elbows bent
    count 3 - left _and_ right arm swing out in front of your head together so wrist/forearm crosses (right over left)
    count 4 - left _and_ right arm stay at shoulder height and pull back with elbows bent

You'll quickly figure out naturally which arm goes with which step.
    Most folks will need to build up to the full pattern over a few weeks.
    Start doing the pattern without hand weights on first few walks to get the rhythm.
    Add in hand weights after you're comfortable with the pattern.
    Build up to this slowly - it's easy to over do it, seriously, because the movements are small but it can be a lot if you go long.
    Sometimes I mix in 8 counts. Sometimes I skip patterns.
    Do what's comfortable for you.