Is 2,000 calories too much to lose weight on?

Options
Hi I know 1800 his pretty good for weight loss for most people including myself, and I know 2200-2400 is generally too many calories for me to lose weight on, I've heard people tell me they maintain on 3,000+ but I'd probably gain weight on that however I don't really know because I rarely eat more than 2500 calories even on days I'm active.

Today I ate about 2000 calories exactly, and I wanted to know for me if it's too much for weight loss. I've generally been maintaining my weight and diet for over a year now I still want to lose more but I'm scared to lose more and not for health reasons either, it's hard to explain.

If you need to know I'm a 6'1 male of 200 pounds at the age of 29

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    What goal did mfp give You? How active are you?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How many calories did MFP give you for a target? How active are you?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    What goal did mfp give You? How active are you?

Great minds!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Use the calorie calculator here or elsewhere on the internet to figure out your targets. Your stats are similar to mine except for age (I'm a bit older) and my maintenance calorie level is about 2650 calories per day before exercise/activity. A 1000 calorie deficit will get you about 2 pounds a week. A 500 calorie deficit will be about a pound. A 700 calorie deficit (2000 calories a day) will just about split the difference.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im a 5'6 1/2 female and when I started my weight loss journey almost 5 years ago I was 209 lbs and lost on 2000 calories and I was sedentary.Im more active now and maintaining around 2000-24000
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I lose weight on anything under 2650 and I'm 5 foot 9, 36 and quite active. Being 6'1 and 29 unless your a coach potatoe then 2000 is quite low at 200 pounds. You'll be miserable. Find a TDEE calculator and get yourself an accurate value and back 250-500 off that

ETA. Do you weigh and measure everything? food scale? I suspect major logging inaccuracies if you maintain at 2k
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'6" female and 2000 calories would have me losing a pound a week. I would think you'd be fine.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Mfp has my goal at almost 2200 to lose 1.5/week. Was likely even higher when I was heavier.
  • KristoferNeal
    KristoferNeal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally can lose about 2 pounds a week on ~3,000'ish calories just because of my activity level. It completely depends on your activity level and calories in, calories out. If you're 6'1" 200, your daily Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 2,000 calories (the amount your body needs to essentially survive/maintain weight if you did not move in 24 hours). If you burned about 500 calories a day, you would lose roughly 2 pounds a week eating around 2,000. The more weight you lose, the less you have to eat; otherwise you will plateau. Think of food as energy/fuel. You put fuel in your car for when you need it to move. Same idea for your body.

Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Most humans your age will lose weight eventually if they average 2000 calories/day for several months. As a mature male of above average height, you certainly will lose weight eventually at 2000 calories per day.
  • More2Life17
    More2Life17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what anyone else is cutting or maintaining on. Only you have your body and it works exclusive to you. With that being said, determine your calorie goal using this link: https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ once you've got that, type it into mfp with the macros included then you're good to go. And for future reference don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Your weight loss journey is exclusive to you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I personally can lose about 2 pounds a week on ~3,000'ish calories just because of my activity level. It completely depends on your activity level and calories in, calories out. If you're 6'1" 200, your daily Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 2,000 calories (the amount your body needs to essentially survive/maintain weight if you did not move in 24 hours). If you burned about 500 calories a day, you would lose roughly 2 pounds a week eating around 2,000. The more weight you lose, the less you have to eat; otherwise you will plateau. Think of food as energy/fuel. You put fuel in your car for when you need it to move. Same idea for your body.

Good luck!

not necessarily,his BMR may or may not be 2000 calories. everyones BMR is different it depends on his stats such as his height,weight,age,lean mass and so on. OP put your stats into MFP and see what it gives you calorie wise. eat that for awhile and see if you lose. if you lose too fast up the calories a bit, too slow? then lower them a small bit.if you lose at a decent rate then stick with that and see how you feel energy and other wise. or you can do the weekly thing and eat more on days you work out(if you work out) and a little less on the days you dont. as long as your calories even out through the week you will be fine.

just make sure to get plenty of protein as well as enough calories to fuel your body . the only way to know if its right for you is trial and error as weight loss and calories are all basically an estimate. also get a weighing app like libra or trend weight and keep track of your weight. that will help you figure things out too and you will see fluctuations in weight which is also normal but a downward trend is what you want to see.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you're exercising. My trainer is an NPC bodybuilder, he maintains on a 6000 calorie/day diet. He also workout hard for three one hour a day, 6 days a week sessions.
  • Asibaris
    Asibaris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on 2200. I am 183 cm and 98 kg. Sorry I don't know that in lbs and inch :D. Also I workout 5-6 times per week. So I am moderatly active. MFP reccomended I eat 2200 but this month I have to sit and study a lot so I will be eating 2000 just to be on the safe side.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining on about 2500cal a day (female, 5'3", endurance triathlete)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You're Tall, you're male, you're relatively young, and you are very close to "normal" BW.

What is your Goal weight/BF%
    What sort of training are you doing? Progressive strength, Running endurance, Running speed, or Other?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Hi I know 1800 his pretty good for weight loss for most people including myself, and I know 2200-2400 is generally too many calories for me to lose weight on, I've heard people tell me they maintain on 3,000+ but I'd probably gain weight on that however I don't really know because I rarely eat more than 2500 calories even on days I'm active.

Today I ate about 2000 calories exactly, and I wanted to know for me if it's too much for weight loss. I've generally been maintaining my weight and diet for over a year now I still want to lose more but I'm scared to lose more and not for health reasons either, it's hard to explain.

If you need to know I'm a 6'1 male of 200 pounds at the age of 29

I'm a 5'11" male, 54, and have lost 45 pounds in 5 1/2 months averaging close to 2200 calories per day. I was 240 when started, 194 now. I have had many days in that stretch eating between 2500 and 3000 and even a few over 3000.

You really need to determine what your activity level is to know for sure, but 2000 calories for you should be no issue at all. You would lose weight moderately at 2000 even if you were sedentary.