Dreading, and yet Dying for my HIIT training

Options
Ugh, anyone who has done it will know, High Intensity Interval Training SUUUUUCKKKKKSSS! while you are doing it.

But anything that can work your like a dog for 1/2 an hour, let you burn close to 500 calories in that time,AND both increase wind and endurance in that short of a time period is pretty cool.

After the workout you feel like a million bucks, but during... you feel like you want to die. I guess spinning is comparable, but I think this is a lot more intense then spinning (I guess that depends on many factors, but for me it is anyway).

Anyway, it's easy to start doing this, if anyone wants to know more, PM me or just post.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ugh, anyone who has done it will know, High Intensity Interval Training SUUUUUCKKKKKSSS! while you are doing it.

But anything that can work your like a dog for 1/2 an hour, let you burn close to 500 calories in that time,AND both increase wind and endurance in that short of a time period is pretty cool.

After the workout you feel like a million bucks, but during... you feel like you want to die. I guess spinning is comparable, but I think this is a lot more intense then spinning (I guess that depends on many factors, but for me it is anyway).

Anyway, it's easy to start doing this, if anyone wants to know more, PM me or just post.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    me me me me me me me me me me me me
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think I know what it is... I do speed intervals on the elliptical with one of their programs. Steady speed for a set time, then all out for a set time, then back again. Is that right?? :ohwell: But, I always love educating myself, so.. more info, please! :flowerforyou:
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    yeah, would be great to maybe get an idea of a good program. i have heard that HIIT is supposed to be so intense you can only do it for about 20 mins max?
    thanks!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    me me me me me me me me me me me me

What she said! :drinker:
  • HealthyIn09
    Options
    What does this entail? Is it some sort of class that you have to take at a gym? I'd be interested in hearing more about this.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Okay Banks, inquiring minds HAVE TO KNOW!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    lol. Really? (I always ask this). You're gonna hate it, right up until you see the results :glasses:

here is a link to my hiit training post if you want to try.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/38891-hiit-training-for-real-fat-loss?hl=HIIT#posts-394247

If I can only get to a gym and no court to do indoor training, well I do the tread mill on fastest possible for about 3 minutes, 1 minute break, then eliptical hardest setting for 5 minutes, then treadmill again, then stair climber, then treadmill again, then bike, then treadmill again.

then I finish with some core work (crunches, reverse crunches, supermans, side plancks, hip raises...etc.)

thats about 39 minutes, but you can cut 1 minute off the non-treadmill activities if that's too long, and you can cut out the last treadmill too. It's still a GREAT workout.

the idea is to go into anaerobic zone of heart rate for minutes at a time, which forces your body to improve an maximizes fat buring for hours and hours after.

MAKE SURE YOU WARM UP!
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    WHOA! Sounds great! I'll have to try the treadmill one the next time the gym is lonely, people at my gym get umm a little up set if people are hogging machines. Not to get OT, but one lady just glares at you while she bumps along on the treadmill at like 1.5, I shouldn't down her, I guess she's trying, but I think she could bump it up a little:huh:
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    OMG Banks!!! U tryin to kill some fat people?
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    If I don't have a HRM, how in the world am I gonna get all those calories right?
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This sounds right up my alley. I'm not big on being in the gym forever. I tried the being in the gym for an hour thing but yeah... My roommate can be on the elliptical for an hour a day and burn 600-800 calories in that time but I find after a half hour I really start to lose interest so I've been trying to really make my half hour count.

ANYWAY. I think I'll give this a try. I'm pretty good at pushing things hard.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Just remember guys, while getting a little light headed and feeling like you can't catch your breath is normal (this IS anaerobic activity after all), make sure you a) give yourself enough time between exercises to fully replenish your oxygen, if that means extending the rest periods by 10 second intervals, so be it. and b)no more then 3 times a week with a day between, for rest at the minimum. This activity is VERY hard on the lungs and stressful on the whole respitory and cardiovascular systems in general, so give it what it needs afterward, plenty of protein and carbs within an hour of the workout, and time. If you still feel sore 24 hours after a workout, then don't work that muscle out again! Soreness is a sign that there is still fatigue in the muscle, re-introducing microtears in a muscle that's not finishing its repairs is counter productive.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    oh and by the way

OOOOOUUUUUCCCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhh That was a damn good (pardon my french) workout. 32 minutes 475 calories
    and my legs feel like rubber right now! so I'll have elevated metabolism for then next couple
    of hours, bring on the fat burn baby!

:glasses:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Giggity giggity :noway:
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I printed it and brought it home. I did my bike, crunches, and weights today.
    I'm gonna tackle this beast on the weekend when I can go to the park.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the HIIT workout Banks.

I will be doing this as well as having my ball teams do this for spring workouts!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thank you for the HIIT workout Banks.

I will be doing this as well as having my ball teams do this for spring workouts!

Nice! Kick their *kitten*! :tongue:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Yea, I agree that HIIT training is the way to go. It's tough to motivate yourself to work so hard, but the payoff is for real! During the week, I try to do HIIT twice daily, burning 200-300 cals each session and finish it off with some strength training. My heart rate during HIIT is 160+ (I am 54 years old). I feel very lightheaded when finished, but after that I feel great. IMO a lot more bang for the buck.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Yea, I agree that HIIT training is the way to go. It's tough to motivate yourself to work so hard, but the payoff is for real! During the week, I try to do HIIT twice daily, burning 200-300 cals each session and finish it off with some strength training. My heart rate during HIIT is 160+ (I am 54 years old). I feel very lightheaded when finished, but after that I feel great. IMO a lot more bang for the buck.

That's AWESOME!

Personally, I'm on a bit of a HIIT training binge. I feel that EVERYONE can benefit from it. It's such a physique altering program, I just can't get enough of it, I actually feel sad when I finish cuz I know I have to give my body time to recoup, and I don't wanna wait 2 days to do it again.

Take a runners high, multiply that by like 3, and that's the adrenaline rush you get when you finish (and give yourself 15 minutes to cool down). I personally feel that nothing else can sculpt a body quite as distinctly and quickly as 3 to 4 weeks of 3 days a week doing HIIT training.

and its so versitile, you can implement it with almost any type of exercise (except isometric types like maybe yoga).

For instance, sometimes I want to mix it up, instead of using the bike for one of my 5 minute sets, I'll add moderate weight dumbells (65% max) and do inclined presses with raised knees or maybe use the oblique twist machine at about 30 lbs below my normal and just do that exercise for the 5 minutes instead. you don't get the heart rate quite up to 85 or 90, but if you do them very fast, while concentrating on form, you still can get up to about 80% max heart rate while giving your muscles that perfect, telltale anaerobic lactic acid burn that you need to make HIIT training successful!