Belly fat wont go away

Options
I walk 60--120 minutes a day. I am watching what I am eating. I am drinking water. But, I am not losing anything from my belly.

Maybe some in my legs and butt. Should I add lifting weights or some other kind of exercise to burn the fat at a more rapid pace?

Replies

• where_next
    where_next Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar- I've lost an inch from my midsection in 11 days by consuming less than 30 g of sugar/day. I plan on trying it for a month to see how it goes!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot tell your body where to burn the fat. That's spot-reducing, and it's not possible. You can, however, tone the muscles in your belly and that will give the illusion of the fat becoming smaller because the muscles push against the fat that is there and spread it out.

But as you lose more weight it will eventually come off everywhere. Just keep working towards your goal! :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Exercises that engage your core (your abs, lower back, hips too) like planks really help a lot. It won't go away over night, but even doing a plank for 30 seconds each day an you'll start to see a difference. Squats help with the legs and butt-- if you're just starting, you won't even need weights.

Wishing you the best!
  • michelle2808
    Options
    bump..... however, i have cut bread out and I'v noticed a little difference, I think the wheat bread was making me bloat??? It's a baby step. I would like to know what other epeopel have to say too.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    ooo my biggest problem area and biggest fear as well! I hope you figure it out! good luck :)
  • terri0804
    terri0804 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi, I too have belly fat and im doing ab crunches and other exercise at home(since i cant get to a gym) i drink alot of water to and im active in what i do..maybe some one else can answer for both of us...good luck on your weight loss journey

Terri
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I should add that you can't spot train (so you can't just do a lot of crunches in hopes that the stomach fat goes away). What you can do for a beginner, is choose exercises that work several different muscles. You'll notice after awhile at the stomach fat won't be as obvious because you'll have muscle helping to burn fat.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 lbs from goal and I've still got a little belly (in my opinion). I never really had this problem when I was thin so it concerns me. I've read on here over and over again that you can't just target one area of fat and tell your body to take that part off by exercising it like crazy. For now, I'm just doing lots of ab work to tone, and hoping that the last 13 lbs comes off of my belly!! I would try reducing your sugar intake though, as should I. I have read that it does really make a difference.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned, it is not possible to spot reduce. Your body pulls fat from everywhere when it is burning it. Belly fat is typically the last to go (for males this is true, for females, it will either be belly fat or the fat on your thighs and butt that goes last depending on your genetical make up)

Doing a ton of ab-work strengthens the ab muscles, but does not remove the fat around them.

Also, beware that doing a ton of ab-work also hurts your lower back, so doing more ab-work than neccessary in the hopes of reducing the belly fat is a fruitless, and often painful, task. Its kind of like doing bicep curls until you tear the muscle.
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    I've heard other swear by cutting back on sugar. I noticed the most difference personally when I started doing core/ab exercises with the 30 Day Shred. Another idea - If you're already walking for exercise, maybe add steps as part of it to add some resistance.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you cannot tell your body where to burn the fat. That's spot-reducing, and it's not possible. You can, however, tone the muscles in your belly and that will give the illusion of the fat becoming smaller because the muscles push against the fat that is there and spread it out.

But as you lose more weight it will eventually come off everywhere. Just keep working towards your goal! :)

^^This^^. I came to a realization, an epifany if you will; that it took me a couple of years to get the way I did. Hence, it will take time to get it off as well. As I kept working hard at it, it started coming off. I have abs again. Not completely washboard, cheese grating abs, but I can see them again. I have worked the life out of my core with all kinds of workouts and weight lifting. Life is getting better. My pics agree. Good luck on your journey!
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do some abdominal and lower back strengthening exercises. That helped me lose a considerable amount of inches in that area.

Also keep your stress levels in check. Stress causes fat to form in the belly area to protect your vital and reproductive organs.

Keep doing what you're doing and be patient, it'll go when your body feels like it doesn't need it anymore.
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    BUMP
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I am having the same issue. I cut out bread, have less than 30g of sugar per day and drink plenty of water. For the longest I have only walked and I know that is my biggest downfall bc that will help lose weight and tone the legs, thighs, calves and help reduce some in the stomach but I should have incorporated more exercises that target those muscles. I have started Insanity and 30D Shred and can already feel my muscles working. I just am hoping to see real results soon! Good luck and keep up the awesome work!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dont eat at least 3 hours before bed. take measurements and see if there is a difference. For me this works.
  • iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump--good question
  • jetbutterfly
    Options
    As someone mentioned, it is not possible to spot reduce. Your body pulls fat from everywhere when it is burning it. Belly fat is typically the last to go (for males this is true, for females, it will either be belly fat or the fat on your thighs and butt that goes last depending on your genetical make up)

Doing a ton of ab-work strengthens the ab muscles, but does not remove the fat around them.

Also, beware that doing a ton of ab-work also hurts your lower back, so doing more ab-work than neccessary in the hopes of reducing the belly fat is a fruitless, and often painful, task. Its kind of like doing bicep curls until you tear the muscle.
    I LIKE THIS
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree...cut down on some of the sugar and processed carbs...help me bust through a plateau and lose belly fat. Good Luck!!
  • IllyJames
    IllyJames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm practically skinny except for this speed bump I call a stomach. What's been helping me is cutting down my sodium/salt intake. Salt retains water in our body and causes us to bloat, especially in the abdomen area. Increase your fiber intake. (Don't overdo it, too much fiber may cause constipation.) Fiber will help regulate your bowel movements and flush out some of those toxins that cause belly fat. Cut back on sugar, sugar breaks down into fat. Lastly, I've added this free app on my iPod called "Workout Trainer." It has a 30 minute "p90x ab ripper."
    It's really intense, so I do it every other day.
    I've been following this regime for a while now, I can notice a difference.

I hope this works for you just as well as it's working for me.
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump - I want to be able to find this again. Thanks for the question and the answers.