Defeated and discouraged

Options
I feel this is the best place to vent instead of other social media sites because some people just don't understand.

Since the fall of 2015, I've lost 70 pounds. I still had about 20-25 more that I wanted to lose. I started enjoying life a little more than I should and in the last 5 months, I've gained back 30 pounds. I know they say not to focus on the number on the scale but it's extremely difficult. I've always been self conscious about my body so the scale is a huge deal to me. I used to weigh myself every single morning. I've since then gotten out of that bad habit but the scale is all I focus on. The inches don't mean anything to me. I hate the way I look, I hate the way my clothes feel. I just feel worthless.

I haven't been wanting to eat healthy. I have no problem going to the gym, that's the easy part. The nutrition is what I struggle with constantly. I know the basics and what to do, I just have no control to apply what I know.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Read this, take notes, and implement the suggestions. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/economics-weight-loss/
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So, I know it's expensive especially if you're in the US, but maybe speak to a psychologist? A lot of people think they're 'not bad south's or 'don't have that kind of problem', but it can be a lot of help, since it sounds like you have a lot of self esteem issues.

If that advice doesn't feel right, @middlehaitch 's advice is pretty golden. It's a much less restrictive and 'moral' approach.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I feel this is the best place to vent instead of other social media sites because some people just don't understand.

Since the fall of 2015, I've lost 70 pounds. I still had about 20-25 more that I wanted to lose. I started enjoying life a little more than I should and in the last 5 months, I've gained back 30 pounds. I know they say not to focus on the number on the scale but it's extremely difficult. I've always been self conscious about my body so the scale is a huge deal to me. I used to weigh myself every single morning. I've since then gotten out of that bad habit but the scale is all I focus on. The inches don't mean anything to me. I hate the way I look, I hate the way my clothes feel. I just feel worthless.

I haven't been wanting to eat healthy. I have no problem going to the gym, that's the easy part. The nutrition is what I struggle with constantly. I know the basics and what to do, I just have no control to apply what I know.

Eat less of whatever you are eating. Weigh it and log it.
    Food does not have to be whatever it is you mean by healthy.
    Eat what suits your lifestyle and what fits into your calorie day. Get enough protein and fat. :)

• theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Firstly realise as cheesy as it sounds that no matter what body you have your beautiful and enough the very fact that your taking action in gym and fitness makes you a winner. Also its alright to vent cry so aslong as you pick yourself right up and continue
    Now that being said realise your goal is definteley achiveable could take a while aim for about a 1 to 2 pounds a week but try and make weightloss as easy as possible make it a part of you so no chance of rebound find tasty healthy staples you enjoy and can make prep easy get and surround yourslef with other people freinds who are into fitness can help massively perhaps incorporate intermittent fasting or eat clean these are anfew of countless ways to reach your goal realise aslong as you continue you will find a way and reach it eventually best of luck to you
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I haven't been wanting to eat healthy. ... The nutrition is what I struggle with constantly. I know the basics and what to do, I just have no control to apply what I know.
    I think you want to eat healthy, but that you think healthy eating is something you don't want - difficult, boring, expensive, tasteless and disgusting? Knowing the basics is a start, but applying it takes some effort - not so much control, as insight and experience.

Get a cookbook - any normal cookbook will do. Ask your librarian, or just buy this one: "Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook" by Ellyn Satter.
    Learn to cook. It's not difficult or time-consuming to prepare simple, tasty, healthy, balanced meals.
    Eat food you like. No foods are off limit. But some foods are more nutritious than others. We need a wide range of nutrients every day, and a variety of real foods is the easiest way to achieve that.
    Enjoy your food. Eat with others if you want to and have the opportunity.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? If not, do that. Don't change anything else for a while, just log what you eat. That way you will give yourself time to adjust to the idea of getting back into a deficit. Also, you will glean important information about when you tend to overeat and on what, which could be very useful in deciding strategies to eat less.

One step at a time, and logging is the first step.
  • facetocallhome
    facetocallhome Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "So, I started eating again, and put a stone of that weight back on" was supposed to say "So, I started eating carelessly again, and put a stone of that weight back on." Oops! :/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Most folks go back to old behaviors and put the weight back on. That's just the truth of it. You've learned that if you stop weighing daily and recording all your food, you go back to old habits of eating enough to maintain your old weight. I have the same problem which is why, when I do go back to MFP after a long hiatus I don't usually need to change the starting weight. I hop right back up to 283.

So, you know what to do. That's not the problem. The problem is deciding to do it. It is definitely the hard part. But do remember, we are here to cheer you one. Many of us know EXACTLY what you are going through. This old lady doesn't want you still hauling around extra weight in your 40s, 50s and 60s until you get sick.

Only you have control over what you decide to do but YOU DO HAVE THAT CONTROL. The longer you wait to do it, the more pounds you'll need to lose a second or third or fourth, etc. time. But we won't BLAME you because a lot of us are in the same boat and know how hard it is.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

Quit trying to" eat healthy". Figure out how many calories you need to lose 1 lb/week. Buy a kitchen scale, weigh everything, and log it honestly. Eat the foods you enjoy. Stick to your weekly calorie goal. Win.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Eating "healthy" just zaps the fun out of life sometimes. Mix it up. Eat things you like. I can't sustain a regimented "clean" diet. I just make some healthier choices here and there and the weight is coming off.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to start with logging. I genuinely believe that losing weight is easy - it's keeping it off that's hard. I think it's best to focus on the second goal from the start, because yo-yo dieting may be worse for your health than just being overweight, and besides, it makes people miserable! So about logging: figure out what you're eating now and how many calories you're averaging per day/week. Look at what you can change, and start making changes. Maybe just one little change at a time. You won't lose weight fast, maybe you won't lose at all at first, or even keep gaining, but if you keep making gradual, sustainable changes, you'll find yourself in a deficit you can live with and you will lose weight. I started logging six months before I started losing weight, but I feel pretty comfortable at my 1-3 lbs lost a month and feel confident I can keep it up. Good luck!