Can I still lose weight drinking wine?

Options

Replies

• suffolkbobby
    suffolkbobby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So glad to read the replies, I love my nightly glass or three of red wine, it dulls the wife's WHINE :0 (did I say that out loud?) I include it in my calorie count.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    There is not one specific food or drink that will cause you to gain weight if you are within your calorie goals.

Actually studies prove that sugar, especially refined sugar, can greatly affect weight gain. Example is that if you meet your caloric goal but the calories come from mostly sugars, then you certainly won't be losing any weight because the body will continue to store excess sugar as fat. The key is to remove these sugars from the diet so that your body produces the chemicals need to burn fat (Ghrelin) rather than store.

Actually that's not true at all.
    Carbs (including sugar) are very rarely stored as fat in humans.

You don't need to coax your body to produce "chemicals" to burn fat, just a calorie deficit.
    We store away excess energy as fat stores (primarily) when in a surplus and no special tricks are needed to use that stored energy when we are in a deficit.

Your body also can't tell the difference between refined sugar and sugar from natural sources. Sucrose is sucrose, fructose is fructose etc. etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I drank wine when I was losing weight but alcohol was one of the things I cut down to create my calorie deficit.

Spending twice as much per bottle but drinking half the amount (sort of...) meant I still got the same amount of enjoyment.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits within your calories and you're not cutting out sensible stuff (meat, veg, fruit etc) to make space for it then its not a problem. I do make sure I log it all though - even on holiday, I still log it. (I go over my calories but I know where they've come from!) Keep measuring and logging, and you'll be fine. Throw in a little extra exercise if necessary! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Problem with drinking is that one drink leads to two leads to snacking etc. because your sugar levels get thrown out of whack with alcohol. I personally don't drink at all save for special occasions or the odd night out. One glass of wine a night could also mean the glass gets larger every day and pretty soon the glass you use for your "one glass of wine" is the size of a mixing bowl.
    Ultimately if you have to ask the question, clearly you have a feeling that it may sabotage your goals and therefore you come here essentially looking for the "okay" to add a glass of wine per night.
    Stay away from it if you can....

Some people do want to snack more when they drink, but this isn't universal. Drinking never makes me want to eat more.

As for the problem with the "mixing bowl" of wine, why would this be an issue for someone who is measuring their alcohol? A glass of wine for me is five ounces. I know this because I use a measuring cup. There -- problem solved.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Problem with drinking is that one drink leads to two leads to snacking etc. because your sugar levels get thrown out of whack with alcohol. I personally don't drink at all save for special occasions or the odd night out. One glass of wine a night could also mean the glass gets larger every day and pretty soon the glass you use for your "one glass of wine" is the size of a mixing bowl.
    Ultimately if you have to ask the question, clearly you have a feeling that it may sabotage your goals and therefore you come here essentially looking for the "okay" to add a glass of wine per night.

Some people do want to snack more when they drink, but this isn't universal. Drinking never makes me want to eat more.

As for the problem with the "mixing bowl" of wine, why would this be an issue for someone who is measuring their alcohol? A glass of wine for me is five ounces. I know this because I use a measuring cup. There -- problem solved.

me too, and i have a glass i use for wine every time i drink it at home, so i know exactly where to pour to if the measuring cup isn't handy. my pour is 8oz, but my logging is 8oz so it all works out.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

me too, and i have a glass i use for wine every time i drink it at home, so i know exactly where to pour to if the measuring cup isn't handy. my pour is 8oz, but my logging is 8oz so it all works out.

I'm just the world's worst at eyeballing. My husband can also tell exactly where to pour to in the glass, but he was a bartender for years.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my glass of wine. :) I enjoy it even more that way.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I am definitely prone to the "one drink leads to two leads to snacking" trap. Many people aren't - you just need to know yourself. I switched to beer and cider at home (i.e. things that come premeasured) because it makes my life easier. I can't "just eyeball this time" or add "just a splash" nearly as easy that way! Just figure out what works to keep yourself within your calories.
  • kristinak48
    kristinak48 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had lost 40 lbs about a year ago and when I looked back on my diary recently to see what I was eating I noticed I was drinking at least 1 glass of wine each night, sometimes 2, but I was logging it! I have heard that a dry red has less carbs because there tends to be less sugar than the sweeter wines so I try to choose those now knowing that :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Um, this may be true for YOU, but honestly, do you really think this is true for everyone, or even most people? I mean, I've been drinking 5 oz wine most nights for years, and am really not tempted keep increasing the quantity.

And really, it's not like I'm going to go out and buy new glassware for every drink. I'm too cheap to do that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. Glasses don't get bigger. You'd have to get a different glass. And seriously have you ever seen anyone drink wine from a mixing bowl? ::huh::

A standard bottle of wine is 750 ml which is approx. 25 oz. So one bottle has 5 glasses (if using 5 oz = 1 glass). It's pretty easy to eyeball how much you are drinking by looking at the bottle. 1/5 empty = 1 glass, 1/2 empty = 2.5 glasses, etc.

Stay away from it if you want or need to, otherwise wine is okay.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is no one size fits all answer - is it possible to lose weight while drinking wine (or any alcohol) if you factor it into your calorie intake? Yes, but every person is different. Alcohol does affect your liver and your metabolism. It just depends on your particular goals and body. Not to mention that alcohol tends to lower your inhibition to eating things or amounts you might not normally (I almost always eat more when I drink and others I know agree). I think you'll have to monitor it over time and see how it affects you. If you're not getting the weight loss you think you should be, cut out the wine and see if that helps.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    You of course can lose weigh drinking while drinking alcohol (CICO) but it really messes up my macros with empty cals & carbs when I do, requiring me to do extra cardio 15 mins of rowing for each drink) in order to free up additional cals so that I can eat more in order to meet my protein macro.

So much this. As one goes to a lower number of calories they need to ensure they are getting adequate nutrition. Make sure the diet contains 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies and adequate protein before adding calories for alcohol, treats, etc.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As long as you maintain a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Just budget enough calories for the food you want to eat and ensure you are hitting those macro/nutritional goals to suit your needs.

I've been at this for three years now. Have an average of a drink each night and hitting every one of my fitness goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I had lost 40 lbs about a year ago and when I looked back on my diary recently to see what I was eating I noticed I was drinking at least 1 glass of wine each night, sometimes 2, but I was logging it! I have heard that a dry red has less carbs because there tends to be less sugar than the sweeter wines so I try to choose those now knowing that :)

thats great, but it does not matter for weight loss...what matters is a calorie deficit..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    You of course can lose weigh drinking while drinking alcohol (CICO) but it really messes up my macros with empty cals & carbs when I do, requiring me to do extra cardio 15 mins of rowing for each drink) in order to free up additional cals so that I can eat more in order to meet my protein macro.

So much this. As one goes to a lower number of calories they need to ensure they are getting adequate nutrition. Make sure the diet contains 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies and adequate protein before adding calories for alcohol, treats, etc.

I don't see anyone advocating drinking wine to the exclusion of nutrition, but thanks for the PSA.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Um, this may be true for YOU, but honestly, do you really think this is true for everyone, or even most people? I mean, I've been drinking 5 oz wine most nights for years, and am really not tempted keep increasing the quantity.

And really, it's not like I'm going to go out and buy new glassware for every drink. I'm too cheap to do that.

Have you seen all the different-shaped wine glasses out there? You could have the absolutely correct shape for every single type of wine, because who would ever use a glass shaped for a zin when pouring a cab, right?

FTR we have a set of nice generic wine glasses for company, but mostly by ourselves and for bbq's we use our extensive collection of winery glasses from various events and concerts we've attended over the years...
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a measured, and logged 5oz glass of wine several nights a week. I'm consistently losing weight :)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Tried posting a pic but was too big. Anyway my wine glass has ounces and calories right on it.