Trying to quit smoking..fear of gaining

I've decided to try to quit smoking.

I quit for 10 years, but started up again about 4 years ago. I was pregnant when I quit the first time so a little weight gain, if I had any ( I can't recall), wasn't a big deal.

I'm so nervous that this is going to cause me to gain weight, even if watching my calorie intake.

My fiance even mentioned something about possible weight gain,even though i know he is more than supportive of me quitting. It kinda made me feel like he's just waiting for me to expand.

Anyone else gain while quitting?

Any ideas on how to stop it from happening?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    I quit for 8 months i was to determined to gain i continued to lose, I started again from stress and this time around im right there with you terrified of gaining.

I put it down to a change in attitude. Im happy with my body now so losing isnt as much a priority to me. Do some soul searching find your priorities. Dont be "trying" to quit. You CAN quit. If you find its your priority.

Stock up on low cal drinks/snacks like strawberries baby tomatoes cucumbers pickles hard candy coffee/tea etc etc if needed. Keep busy- Clean your house, Long walks to counteract any extra eating. When cravings come on get your butt outside and avoid all variety stores that sell smokes on the way lol.

Worst case, You gain weight. So? Your heart and lungs will be so much better equiped now to lose it healthier. You will be just fine. Live longer not smell like an ash tray and food tastes so much better.

Just prioritize it and decide thats what you want, And do it. Let the pieces fall wherever, You can handle them once your smoke free. Just try to minimize damage/Maximize success in meantime by keeping busy and youll be okay.

Ill be quitting again in 2 weeks xD Had decided i wasnt quite ready so set a future date. This times the last time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    The two are totally unrelated. You gain weight by eating more, not by stopping smoking. I lost weight while I stopped smoking.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    edited August 2017
    I read that nicotine increases your metabolism and that when you quit it obviously slows down leading to weight gain. I'm not sure if this is actually true, but this is more of what I am concerned about.

I can do the work as far as exercise and eating within my calories. It's the idea of something I can't control causing me to gain weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Weight gain will be entirely linked to calorie consumption. Nicotine is an appetite suppressant. That's why people gain when quitting, no other reason.

This
  • mmcguire876
    mmcguire876 Posts: 9 Member
    The health benefits of quitting smoking FAR outweighs potentially a few pounds of weight gain. Instead of replacing a cigarette with eating or drinking, do something else instead - take a walk, go to the gym, chew sugar free gum. Don't let your fear of gaining weight (because in all reality, it would realistically only be a few pounds at best) be a deterrent in quitting.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2017
    I read that nicotine increases your metabolism and that when you quit it obviously slows down leading to weight gain. I'm not sure if this is actually true, but this is more of what I am concerned about.

I can do the work as far as exercise and eating within my calories. It's the idea of something I can't control causing me to gain weight.

Stopping smoking may or may not decrease your metabolism, but by how much? Enough to make any difference? How can people who have never smoked, have a normal weight or lose weight? You'll have to eat less/move more to lose weight no matter what. And if it's something you can't do anything about, why worry about it?

If you worry about this too much, a few things can happen: You get paralyzed and don't take the necessary action. You use this as a convenient excuse to not take action. The whole thing depresses you so much that you start smoking again.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    OK I'm going to give you some tough love here. Smoking is really disgusting to everyone around you. Your friends who don't smoke will smile and say "sure it's ok" but it's not. Being near someone who is smoking is hell for non smokers. Having smoke drift over into our space and having to deal with second hand smoke is repellent as well as having to constantly smell smoke on your clothes, hair, hands. I'm not trying to be mean to you, I'm just telling you what your friends won't. As soon as you quit they will all thank you. So do it not only for your self which is SO important, but do it for others.

I smoked when I was younger, and quit over 25 years ago. Best decision I ever made. You quit before, so you can do it again. Keep some sugarless candies in your pocket or purse. When you feel the urge to smoke, suck on one. Good luck!!
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member

Stopping smoking may or may not decrease your metabolism, but by how much? Enough to make any difference? How can people who have never smoked, have a normal weight or lose weight? You'll have to eat less/move more to lose weight no matter what. And if it's something you can't do anything about, why worry about it?

If you worry about this too much, a few things can happen: You get paralyzed and don't take the necessary action. You use this as a convenient excuse to not take action. The whole thing depresses you so much that you start smoking again.

You are right! I'm not going to let this bother me anymore. I want to quit to be a healthier person for me and a my kids. The more I over-analyze this, the more of an excuse it will become.

I've been doing well. I made it 3 days, cold turkey, but slipped up last night. Today, none. No excuses anymore!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You don't gain weight from quitting smoking...people who quit smoking and gain weight are eating more to satisfy their oral fixation...stopping smoking in and of itself doesn't cause you to gain weight.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Don't be afraid to try nicotine lozenges, gum or even e-cigs if you're having trouble. And sugarless gum is your friend! I did gain weight when I quit, but quitting was my first priority. Once I felt I had the smoking issues beat, I moved on to tackling the weight issues. I've been smoke free over 3 years and maintained a healthy BMI for two now and feel better than I've felt in years!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Good luck on stopping smoking - that's a great thing to do for your health and your wallet. You'll only gain weight if you eat more - which might happen if you snack as a replacement for smoking. If you're aware of this and don't eat more than usual, you won't gain weight.

I'd recommend not reaching for a snack or gum instead of a cig - find some other way to keep your hands busy instead. When I was quitting I made myself a fake cigarette - basically a pen tube that I taped some paper around, and would carry that around in my hand like it was a cig and also practised deep breathing at the same time. I felt a bit silly at times but it helped me a lot in the first couple weeks of quitting.

You can do this!

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Start running. Or pick a fitness goal and focus on that. When I finally quit for good that's what I did. I hacked my way through couch to 5k, lost weight and actually found a love of fitness. I used it as an opportunity to do all of the things that were difficult when I smoked. I was a heavy smoker and struggled to quit many times. With this approach quitting was actually really easy.

Also, if you haven't already, clean everything! You don't realize when you're a smoker, but you stink! All of your stuff stinks! Clean it all, soak in the lovely smell of "not smoke". Tell yourself that you are NOT a smoker, and rid your entire existence of everything smoke related. It's super helpful. Drink lots of water, chew gum and just find something to do. If you have the will for it, you will find a way.
  • JaydedMiss
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Start running. Or pick a fitness goal and focus on that. When I finally quit for good that's what I did. I hacked my way through couch to 5k, lost weight and actually found a love of fitness. I used it as an opportunity to do all of the things that were difficult when I smoked. I was a heavy smoker and struggled to quit many times. With this approach quitting was actually really easy.

Also, if you haven't already, clean everything! You don't realize when you're a smoker, but you stink! All of your stuff stinks! Clean it all, soak in the lovely smell of "not smoke". Tell yourself that you are NOT a smoker, and rid your entire existence of everything smoke related. It's super helpful. Drink lots of water, chew gum and just find something to do. If you have the will for it, you will find a way.

This time around im going to make another gross jar of old smokes/ashes/water and smell it whenever im craving, Its actually an amazingly powerful tool lol. So disgusting the smell/look

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

This time around im going to make another gross jar of old smokes/ashes/water and smell it whenever im craving, Its actually an amazingly powerful tool lol. So disgusting the smell/look

Who knew, right? I sure didn't. It was a shock as time went on and I realized how offensive the odor was.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Have you considered vaping? You can slowly wean off of nicotine and dramatically reduce the harmful effects of smoking. While there is much controversy around vaping most british docs recommend it to quit smoking. I'm sure it isn't healthy but smoking has far more carcinogens in it.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    If you are serious about quitting, make an appointment with your doctor and get a prescription for Chantix. It works.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited August 2017
    vaman wrote: »
    If you are serious about quitting, make an appointment with your doctor and get a prescription for Chantix. It works.

champix- definatly works 100% - only reason i have to wait till im 100% ready to quit is i can only afford 3 months xd
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't gain weight from quitting smoking...people who quit smoking and gain weight are eating more to satisfy their oral fixation...stopping smoking in and of itself doesn't cause you to gain weight.

You have as much of a chance of gaining weight as becoming a sex addict. A vise isn't totally given up, its just replaced by another one.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    I took up vaping and slowly lowered the nicotine levels until I didn't need it anymore. That helped and allowed me to avoid any crazy cravings.