No one can live on foods of penitence

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Now I'm really curious what penitent foods would be?

Caster Oil?

Kale?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Caster Oil?

Kale?

I always think of something like plain rice cakes or cottage cheese inside a tomato, probably because those are the foods my mom always ate when she was trying to lose weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    To me, cottage cheese inside a tomato is the very definition of something yummy. They are two of my favorite foods.

That reminds me, I want to drive out to the local farm to buy tomatoes this week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

To me it's eating food that you find less than appealing because you think you have to because you're on a diet.

Or denying yourself things you could otherwise fit into your calories because they're not typically considered "diet food". Things like potatoes or bread or chicken with skin or hamburgers or pizza.

That's what I thought too.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

I think, anything you wouldn't normally eat, but do "because" you want to lose weight. For me it would be.... low-carb tortillas or non-fat, artificially sweetened desserts. I imagine it would be different for everyone.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

Steamed cauliflower

Raw broccoli

Rice cakes

Plain bran or shredded wheat cereal with no fruit/raisins and skim milk
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

For me...fried liver. Or just about any way to prepare liver (shudder) :#

I think I read somewhere that the various religious orders of monks, for fasting or penitence, would be where they did not eat. However, beer was not considered food during that time, so they would drink their yummy beer. THAT I could do for fasting or penitence B)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I lost weight eating 1200-1400 calories and watching a lot of TV. You don't need a gym. Just make sure you are absolutely counting your calories and being very honest about the amount of food you are eating.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

For me...fried liver. Or just about any way to prepare liver (shudder) :#

I think I read somewhere that the various religious orders of monks, for fasting or penitence, would be where they did not eat. However, beer was not considered food during that time, so they would drink their yummy beer. THAT I could do for fasting or penitence B)

Unfortunately it was usually 'small beer' during the day as plain water was not fit to drink. :'(

Going at it with Miller Lite just doesn't appeal the same.

As a side note, I have 'sampled' quite a few of the full beers originally brewed by monks when in Bruges, they truely were delicious.

Cheers, h.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member

Caster Oil?

Kale?

Is castor oil a 'food'?

Kale on the other hand . . . . is delicious in a sausage scramble with onions and cheese ;).

I agree with @Need2Exerc1se and @GottaBurnEmAll - penitent foods are anything that you think you HAVE to eat as opposed to something that you WANT to eat.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    :::small voice:::::

I like rice cakes.

I like steamed cauliflower!

I love cauliflower in most preparations but just can't get on-board with it when steamed. And I love most other steamed vegetables. It's too vile.

Same thing with broccoli. I love it in most preparations but the raw florets (not the stem, just the florets) are gross to me when raw.