Any ladies on 1200 cals

Options
I'm on day 2 and doing great. Exercising plenty but not chomping the extra cals. What kinda meals are you having during the day. And do you split the cals over B /L/D ?
Love to hear from you xx

Replies

• madameb80
    madameb80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is where I'm concerned MFP has me at 1200 cals I've had so far today 800 cals in food yet to have my tea so got 400 to play with yet I've burned over 500 cals due to exercise logged by the two classes I did at the gym. So will my body think hang on I'm surviving on 300 cals of food until she feeds me. (Currently drying hair lol)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose?
    Do you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds a week? That may be too aggressive unless you really have a lot to lose. Try setting it to 1 pound or a half pound a week and see what happens to your calorie goal. And you should be eating at least a portion of your exercise calories back.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    But also, to answer your question, I go with a small breakfast, small lunch, and large dinner, but that's just my personal preference and it works with my lifestyle. Figure out what's best for you as far as meal spacing and timing.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,300 but I eat back most of my fitbit adjustment unless I truly didnt do anything all day, then I just eat to 1,300 and call it a day. So on the days I go for a two hour walk, or spend the day hiking I can eat anywhere from 1,400- 1,800 calories. Im set to lose 1.5 lbs a week, on average I'm losing 1.8 so I could eat my entire adjustment back and im positive I would still be losing.

you need to be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories or else you are not eating enough and cannot maintain this long term.

But as for your original question I used to split them up throughout the day but I never had enough left for dinner or a snack afterwards and wasnt satisfied. I started only having coffee in the morning and I dont miss having breakfast at all, some days I dont have lunch either and just have a big dinner and then a snack. Its up to you how you want to split up your calories, meal timing doesnt matter for weight loss. I dont consider this fasting or anything, I prefer not to label it as anything, I take it day by day and go by how I feel.
  • madameb80
    Options
    Well the calories burned are what my fitbit told me and boy I felt like I burned them. I have 1.5 stone to lose AGAIN. Ideally I would like 2lbs a week as I have a holiday coming up. I get mixed messages as ppl on here have told me not to eat the calories gained from exercise. I've got 400 to have for my late dinner which will take me to 1200 physically eating during the day and I'll eat into a smidge of the extra allocated due to exercise. What do you think? It's all blooming confusing wish I wasn't exercising it's giving me a headache lol
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Hi, that's my calorie limit too, happy for you to add me if you want :smile: I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast and the same for lunch which means I can have a nice big dinner with my partner. Sometimes I eat back exercise calories and sometimes I don't, depends if I want a little extra
  • madameb80
    Options
    Hi, that's my calorie limit too, happy for you to add me if you want :smile: I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast and the same for lunch which means I can have a nice big dinner with my partner. Sometimes I eat back exercise calories and sometimes I don't, depends if I want a little extra

How do I add you. I used to use MFP years ago and just reinstalled it this week. Lol x
  • alr9o
    alr9o Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1200 right here :)
    Feel free to add me!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200. I have B/L/D and the calories are pretty even. Depending on my weight loss I eat part or all of my exercise calories back. I'm very accurate, however, with my exercise calories.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1260 but I eat back my fitbit adjustment calories. I've tried sticking to <1300 a day and it just isn't sustainable for me. I'm 5'6, 155 lbs, and average 1400 - 1500 calories a day depending on exercise.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    madameb80 wrote: »

How do I add you. I used to use MFP years ago and just reinstalled it this week. Lol x

I've added you! For reference, click on username and a window will appear, click on username again and the add friend option will be on the next window :smiley:
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Well the calories burned are what my fitbit told me and boy I felt like I burned them. I have 1.5 stone to lose AGAIN. Ideally I would like 2lbs a week as I have a holiday coming up. I get mixed messages as ppl on here have told me not to eat the calories gained from exercise. I've got 400 to have for my late dinner which will take me to 1200 physically eating during the day and I'll eat into a smidge of the extra allocated due to exercise. What do you think? It's all blooming confusing wish I wasn't exercising it's giving me a headache lol

Do you mean a literal headache or a figurative one because of the math/advice? If you actually get headaches from exercising, that's a very good indicator that you aren't eating enough to fuel your body. 2lbs/wk is probably too aggressive for only 21 pounds. A much more reasonable goal is 1 pound, 1.5 if you really push it. It's likely that your current deficit is 1200 because that's the lower limit that MFP will recommend.

I feel like it's important at this point to tell you to manage your expectations and PLEASE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED WHEN YOU DON'T LOSE TWO POUNDS IN A WEEK. Unless you are very tall and/or very active, it's unlikely that your maintenance calories are in the 2200 range if you are only 21 pounds overweight. It may not be physically possible for you to lose two pounds a week at any safe deficit.

With regards to your goal of an upcoming holiday - I know that the desire to lose it all quickly is a strong one, but try to re-frame that. The closer you get to your goal, the slower weight loss will be no matter what you do and trying to rush through it will just continue to leave you frustrated and likely confused about why your body isn't doing what you think it should. Be patient. Every pound lost, no matter how long it takes you, is a victory and if you start sustainable habits now, you will be lighter in time for your holiday, even if you're not quite where you want to be.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is where I'm concerned MFP has me at 1200 cals I've had so far today 800 cals in food yet to have my tea so got 400 to play with yet I've burned over 500 cals due to exercise logged by the two classes I did at the gym. So will my body think hang on I'm surviving on 300 cals of food until she feeds me. (Currently drying hair lol)

No your body won't hang onto anything (starvation mode myth). In fact your body will burn existing lean muscle mass if it needs to. Unfortunately when we lose weight we don't just lose fat, so you want to fuel your workouts for a large % of fat loss.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1

1200 is a common calorie limit because it's the lowest DEFAULT minimum. 1200 is "assigned" when you are very petite and sedentary, elderly and sedentary, or your weekly weight loss goal is very aggressive.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    1,200 is generally considered to be the lowest a woman should go. If you are "exercising plenty," you will probably want to consider that as a factor in your calorie needs at some point.

I was close to 1,200 when I was at the end of my weight loss (I was about 1,300, I believe), but I was eating back exercise calories to ensure I met my nutritional needs, kept my energy up, and avoiding unnecessary muscle loss.

I usually had a light breakfast and lunch and had most of my calories for dinner because that's my personal preference.

Not everyone is the same. I get 1200 per day and lose better on 1000-1100 calories per day. I lose much slower eating 1200 per day and rarely eat them all. I also can not eat my exercise calories back.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    1,200 is generally considered to be the lowest a woman should go. If you are "exercising plenty," you will probably want to consider that as a factor in your calorie needs at some point.

I was close to 1,200 when I was at the end of my weight loss (I was about 1,300, I believe), but I was eating back exercise calories to ensure I met my nutritional needs, kept my energy up, and avoiding unnecessary muscle loss.

I usually had a light breakfast and lunch and had most of my calories for dinner because that's my personal preference.

Not everyone is the same. I get 1200 per day and lose better on 1000-1100 calories per day. I lose much slower eating 1200 per day and rarely eat them all. I also can not eat my exercise calories back.

Losing slower is not a bad thing. This is not a race. You need to eat enough to get basic adequate nutrition.
  • FransessM
    FransessM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    People go crazy telling others they HAVE to eat their exercise calories back. I never eat them all. Im always under. On weekends I dont even count. Im still losing weight. Because I don't just go by what has worked for others. Everyone is different and if you are not hungry or feeling weak, you DON'T have to eat more just to fit a number which should be a guide.Listen to your body.