Weight and a cold

Options
All of a sudden I went from 182.4 to 183.5 and now 184.7 in a week and a half. I started showing signs of a cold on Sunday that is now full blown. I know I cannot have gained 2.3 pounds in 10 days, but could a cold that just started Sunday have caused the weight to go up before I even noticed that I had one?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes. Water retention happens for a multitude of reason. It should subside as you get better.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yep, your body is busy fighting an illness. Keep drinking fluids and gets lots of rest.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Might try to sleep it off after putting the kids to bed and focus on getting a work out in tomorrow night instead.
  • Nysportsred
    Nysportsred Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Yes. Water retention happens for a multitude of reason. It should subside as you get better.

Never even thought about water retention being part of a cold. Thank you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the medications you take to ease the symptoms of a cold can cause water retention...ibuprofen is one of these. The body also reacts to illness in this way sometimes as it fights to heal itself. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations, regardless of having a cold, are a very normal part of being a human. Sodium, exercise and medications can cause water retention which can show up on the scale as anywhere from 1-5lbs gained. Urine and poop in your body can account for a higher weight reading.

It's really nothing to worry about. Many folks recommend tracking your weight over months and following the trend-line instead of the daily ups and downs to keep your sanity.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last week. Was too sick to risk swimming in open water or even walk far, so I spent the week taking it easy and ended up putting 3bs back on. Thankfully it was just water retention and constipation and I've lost 2 of the 3 since Sunday. Let your body heal and things will straighten themselves out in no time. :)
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Sometimes the medications you take to ease the symptoms of a cold can cause water retention...ibuprofen is one of these. The body also reacts to illness in this way sometimes as it fights to heal itself. I wouldn't worry too much.

Hmm. I never knew that, I was wondering why I was holding onto water weight, and I;ve been taking IBprofen the past few nights, this might be the cause.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends. This morning, having a full blown cold I was down a bit more than expected, but I was extremely sedentary and eating fairly little. Thus less 'gut weight' I'd say. Today still sedentary but hungry for anything salty, and I just got a small bag of fantastic crisps (mackies Haggis and black pepper). Thus I guess my weight will be up tomorrow morning. I just put my weight into a weight trend app and it will get smoothed out. As a woman I'm used to fluctuations anyway.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I had shoulder surgery in January and was on a regular schedule of Dr. prescribed ibuprofen. I retained lots of fluid.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Hmm. I never knew that, I was wondering why I was holding onto water weight, and I;ve been taking IBprofen the past few nights, this might be the cause.

Yeah, I must admit I was not aware of it until I started researching it. I now try to avoid ibuprofen unless I just take one with a couple of paracetamol. It is apparently quite well known but I don't imagine it is problematic unless you are taking more than a dose each day. It has been covered before on mfp, apparently, and a search on it will bring up quite a few results, including academic papers explaining it.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options

Yeah, I must admit I was not aware of it until I started researching it. I now try to avoid ibuprofen unless I just take one with a couple of paracetamol. It is apparently quite well known but I don't imagine it is problematic unless you are taking more than a dose each day. It has been covered before on mfp, apparently, and a search on it will bring up quite a few results, including academic papers explaining it.

Bleh, total regret on buying the "family size" Ibuprofen because I had a coupon :'( lol I did search it on MFP and found some helpful info, shouldnt be a problem for me because now at least I know why its happening, I think I'll switch to a different kind of pain relief once this bottle runs out
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think the same happened to me, had a nasty cold (started last Monday and is finally easing up) and I was steadily gaining.. was able to cut out the Ibuprofen when I was feeling a little better and the weight came back off. I stayed under my calories and got in a few walks during the time, so I knew it was just water retention & cold nastiness. Still, it was no fun to see on the scale.

Feel better soon, these summer colds are the worst!
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Do you know if acetaminophen has the same effect?
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Hmm. I never knew that, I was wondering why I was holding onto water weight, and I;ve been h IBperofen the past few nights, this might be the cause.

Do you know if acetaminophen has the same effect?

After my shoulder surgery my prescription was for a narcotic plus ibuprofen. At one of my dr. appts I mentioned the fluid buildup to my dr. He said ibuprofen can cause that. He then prescribed the narcotic plus Tylenol. So, my answer would be, "No, acetaminophen does not have the same effect, based upon the doctors prescription" However, to my knowledge, acetaminophen does not reduce inflammation,where ibuprofen does. Hence, the reason the Dr prescribed the ibuprofen in the first place after my surgery.