Boredom eating

Options
Lizbethweat31
Lizbethweat31 Posts: 20 Member
edited August 2017 in Getting Started
Hi guy's I'm relatively new been here almost 50 days whoop whoop lost about 20 pounds. Ok so I used to smoke and I quit cold turkey about a year ago that was my first step towards a healthier ME...well I gained alot...now I find it hard sometimes when I'm off work to avoid food...its like i'm bored so I wanna eat..just like it was with smoking...has anyone been through this or is going through this too...what did you do to overcome this? Ideas? Thoughts? Kicks to my butt totally welcome lol. I'm getting better just some days are still hard. Now when I work I bust booty and I have to remind myself to eat...i deliver mail so I work in all weather and I happen to be in Texas so super hot super humid...so I sweat all day with no ac...so I do amazing on days I work it's just days I'm off. Any tips? Also if anyone has any low carb meal ideas I'm open!!!

Replies

• Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    not half, gained about 30kgs after giving up smoking

replace your rice and potatoes with shredded steamed savoy cabbage or cauliflower rice - I prefer the former. When I eat chilli or curry the cabbage eats just like rice only has very low carbs (I toss mine in a tiny bit of butter and dust with a little black pepper)
  • Lizbethweat31
    Options
    That is a awesome tip I will difinately try thank u so much!!!
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink ice water flavored with one of those low-cal packets like lemon or fruit flavors when I get antsy. No limits and it is still good for you.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I really like cabbage so that helps, I don't know what your supplies of green leafy veg is like over there - here in the UK we have lovely things like spring greens, sweetheart cabbage, January King, pointed cabbage... they are all delicious if steamed and well seasoned. I use Himalayan pink rock salt and ground black pepper. You can fill up on the greens and they have virtually zero carbs and very few carbs!
  • Lizbethweat31
    Options
    You are absolutely right on all 5 tips that is great advice...rick and Josephine your comments are also full of great tips! Thanks guys! Boredom eating is so lame just wanna stop doing it. I have will power I just need to apply it here
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think it could possibly help to pre-log your meals and either don't allow for snacks at all, or plan out specific snack times. This might be way too planned out for your liking but it works for some! I am a planner and I won't eat something if it's not part of my breakfast, lunch, dinner...it's like I just don't even consider it an option. But my meals are pretty big compared to say, if I was eating lots of mini meals. I find that more satisfying.

I don't know if this will be helpful. I am definitely a stress/emotional eater but not a boredom eater really. So I can relate a bit, but not all the way.
  • hooperuk
    hooperuk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Iv found a good tip (from a workout program I follow) that when you are thinking about "cheating" or boredom eating, so some squats or a quick exercise circuit to take your mind off of it. This helps me 90% of the time. By the time iv done 20 squats, Iv taken my mind off of the food I wanted and im too tired to move. If I am actually hungry though, I keep 200-300 calories for the evening just in case. I get the snacky feeling around 8pm so have a low calorie hot chocolate and some rice cakes with a topping or something abit nicer if I have the calories saved.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Find a hobby you like that you want clean hands for. Harder to get bored if you're working on something that needs both hands and your mind
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    To replace one habit with another is quite common. It's time to find a hobby that you'll enjoy and that isn't too expensive so you can do that instead of picking up the food.
  • kerry4169
    kerry4169 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you for posting this, the responses are so helpful to me!

Congrats on giving up smoking and your loss! Both are really awesome! :)
  • Lizbethweat31
    Options
    Thank you all all the tips and advice are very helpful.
  • Brandon2118
    Brandon2118 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I struggle at night when I'm winding down with the same issue. If it gets too bad, I'll have a sugar free fruity popsicle. They only have 15 calories and satisfy me.. I ALWAYS have some in the freezer.
  • JTlivez
    JTlivez Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps most, meditation helps some, and just being productive helps all. Do you have a serious passion such as playing an instrument or something like that? Something to really focus on will usually hold back the hunger. :smile:
  • Lizbethweat31
    Options
    Mmm Popsicles sound yummy it's something to try for sure. I used to play a guitar and trombone it's been awhile but maybe that will help keep cravings at bay...i mainly clean and work that's my life lol kinda boring but I work alot. I have noticed a stand still in my weight loss lately though...its been about 2 weeks with no movement...i figured it's because TOM is coming but idk...i know TMI but just being honest
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I intermittant fast 17/7 which helped me a ton. It is easier for me to say no to something if it is not in my feed window. Plus i have less time to co sume all my calories. For me, there are to many delicious things to say no to, lol. I am mostly high protein but carb cycle as well. I was a cook for 10 years so most of my recipes, even being healthy, are well thought out and delicious. As are my treats. Tomorrow i am making black bean cookies once i figure out my macros and nutrients for the recipe. Feel free to add me if you would like and can keep an eye on my diary for ideas.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Skinny pop popcorn helps me satisfy my need to snack on something salty at night. It's only 39 calories per cup.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 20 pound loss! That's awesome! And I agree with all the tips that have already been given.
  • PeteG7606
    PeteG7606 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Switch to eating six times a day. Same intake you currently have, just split it up into six smaller portions. This will even out your "starvation" trigger and you wont be hungry. Metabolism will eventually pick up and your stomach will shrink.