CRAZY WEEKEND

Options
So i was away for the weekend, far away from anything healthy and low in calories. For 3 days i was over my calorie limit, one day i was over by almost 2000 and the other days by 400-500. As much as i wanted to stay within my calories for these days, it was really tricky with family and friends getting together and throwing a party far from home so i didn't have my regular food around me that i normally eat to stay under my calories. I figured i'd just have fun and enjoy the weekend.

I feel terrible about it now, i haven't weighed myself in a couple of days. What is the best way to bounce back from such a terrible binge? Other than drink loads of water and get back on track? Would this 3 days completely ruin my progress thus far?

Thank You !

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Deep breath. You say you were over your calorie limit 3 days, but looking at the whole week, mon-sun, where was your intake compared to maintenance calories?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's really all you can do. You'll only ruin your progress if you DON'T get back on track.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did the same a few weeks back. It was an awesome weekend and has taken 2 weeks to get back to where I was but was totally worth it.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I did the same a few weeks back. It was an awesome weekend and has taken 2 weeks to get back to where I was but was totally worth it.

Can I ask why it took 2 weeks to get back to where you were? Didn't you only see a couple of days of water weight afterwards?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track. Put it behind you.

You were over your calorie limit by maybe a pound's worth of calories, and that mostly just wiped out deficit rather than causing gain.

If you'd been losing a pound a week on average before this, you ate at about maintenance calories for 2 days - no loss, no gain. The other day, you'd have eaten that day's maintenance, plus wiped out 3 more days deficit. You'd have delayed reaching ultimate goal weight by less than a week. Big whoop.

If you've been losing faster than a pound week, the delay is even less. If you've been losing slower, it's a bit more. Still not worth stressing over. It was an unusual event. Just don't do it often. ;)

If you try to make up for it, you risk setting yourself up for restrict & binge cycles. Don't. Just resume your usual healthy routine. That's what I did for the rare over-goal times while I was losing a third of my body weight . . . and I lost it all anyway. ;)

Sure, drink enough water, but don't go crazy. Crazy much is bad for you.

You'll be fine. Expect the scale to be up for a few more days, then you'll start seeing loss again.
  • chels5988
    chels5988 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ive had a few crazy food weekends since ive started mfp and i always tell myself its not really a huge deal as long as im right back on track and dont make a habit of it.
    I always gain 4-5 lbs on these weekends and it takes a few days (sometimes a week) to get back down to the pre weekend weight.
    Jump right back in, and youll be fine :smile:
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    kimothy38 wrote: »

Can I ask why it took 2 weeks to get back to where you were? Didn't you only see a couple of days of water weight afterwards?

I am the same, I always eat what I want on holidays (mostly we go away in our campervan so some calories off set by tons and tons of walking) but it will always take me at least 2 weeks to get it all back off. Some of us are just like that. I myself know it is not just water weight it is added fat from what I have eaten. I have holidays to enjoy myself and that is what I do including food and drink. I just accept the gain and get back into my routine just as soon as I am back. 2 weeks or 3 weeks of work, it is what it is for me.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread!! I'm the same currently. Im coming off a huge weekend and can't seem to budge the 2 pounds I've gained. I'm trying not to freak out. The best way to get on track is simply to get back on track I think. I'm just logging my food as I normally would and trusting the system.

Drinking heaps of water, staying away from fried sodium filled foods (ugh! How I miss you!) and regular low impact exercise :smile:
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First of all!
    There is nothing wrong with what you did. Everyone deserves to have a day/weekend or even a week especially if you always within your limit and have been for a long time.

So be happy about your great weekend and just get back on track. Its also good for your body.

I generally eat at a deficit for a few weeks then take a weekend or day or 2 to eat whatever I want. Helps with cravings and I am happier this way.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it happens! You may gain some water weight and you won't lose as quickly this week, no big deal. Move on and get back to your normal routine.

There is no way 3 days can ruin progress up to now, unless you let it and continue down that path. It's the same way if you started eating at a deficit 3 days ago and look in the mirror "am I shredded yet?" it doesn't happen that fast.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help! I will do my best to drink a lot of water and get back on track!

Thank You so much
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also had a Crazy Weekend! 3 days of debauchery and gained 3 lbs when I weighed on Monday - now, Wednesday morning have actually lost a little from pre-weekend. You may surprise yourself. Get back on that scale and start tracking for food :)