Butt exercise advice needed

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Jessyperry wrote: »
    I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get the butt rounder

sounds like you might mean glute medius. google probably more helpful than me trying to explain it. banded side-walking was good for mine and they're kind of important for stability anyway, so a good thing to do.

i always google for the literal names of muscles in whichever body zone i'm thinking of. and then plug the names into another google with either a 'work' or a 'rehab/stretch/whatever' context.
  • gyarugal07
    gyarugal07 Posts: 2 Member
    Genetics has absolutely nothing to do with gaining a round, lifted tone butt. You need to add ankle weights and you will definitely see and feel the difference. Moreover, try some other exercises other than squats. Remember that your butt is made up of muscle. Have something for the side booty middle and lower( exercise)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    You're going to get a million suggestions as their are a ton of exercises geared towards this. The most important thing is going to be structure and consistency (and food). There are a few ladies on these forums with incredible glutes, sardela being one of them. They pretty much all recommend strong curves for beginners.

So I'm going to second her recommendation. Or at least get on a structured program rather than just doing a bunch of random exercises and hoping for results. It's way too easy to spin your wheels, I did it for years. Once I created structure and consistency in my workouts, my progress was dramatic. I think most people will tell you the same.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    My leg workout yesterday hit near enough the whole of my butt.

Squats (doing a 100 rep thing at lightish weight atm) 10x10@36kg (this is going up 2kg a week during the holidays and concentrating on form and dropping as low as possible)
    Walking lunges (10kg in each hand) back and forth floor area x 5
    Donkey kicks with extra hard resistance band (100 per leg in sets of 25)
    Clams with same band (100 per leg in sets of 20)
    Sumo goblet squats (16kg kettlebell) 3x10
    Curtsey squats (3x10)
    Single leg push downs on assisted pull up 3x10
    Farmers walk 12.5kg in each hand keep going as long as possible x5

I'll be finishing off on Friday with
    Deadlifts 10x10@56kg
    and a legs, bums and tums class.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Definitely recommend Strong Curves for glute focused work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Lots of folks don't use the cardio equipment for muscle building but with a high resistance you are doing a ton of reps and more reps is a good thing when you are trying to add mass
    Not if the reps don't cause you to stop from lactic acid buildup. At that point you're doing reps for MUSCLE ENDURANCE and not MUSCLE HYPERTROPHY. There's a difference. People can run uphill faster or pedal faster than others, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are building muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    gyarugal07 wrote: »
    Genetics has absolutely nothing to do with gaining a round, lifted tone butt. You need to add ankle weights and you will definitely see and feel the difference. Moreover, try some other exercises other than squats. Remember that your butt is made up of muscle. Have something for the side booty middle and lower( exercise)
    Incorrect. How one's butt is shaped dictates the look. I've had this question asked several times since the last few years with female clients and members. And many do the same exact exercises and DO NOT yield the same results as others. Granted, I'm not following their nutritional needs, but while one can IMPROVE their shape, you cannot change what you genetically were given.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Incorrect. How one's butt is shaped dictates the look. I've had this question asked several times since the last few years with female clients and members. And many do the same exact exercises and DO NOT yield the same results as others. Granted, I'm not following their nutritional needs, but while one can IMPROVE their shape, you cannot change what you genetically were given.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think there's two parts that go to this, both genetics and muscle growth. I think some people just really have a harder time figuring out how to contract and use their glutes so their muscles don't grow as well. That would be the training aspect. The other aspect which I think is really the determining factor of how your butt looks is where you hold fat. Most girls that people would say have "nice butts" might have a decent amount of muscle underneath, but they could be stood next to a girl with a small butt, but with equal amount of muscle, the first girls' just has more even fat distribution in her butt.

The way fat is distributed on your body and even on your butt can make it seem as though you have a more muscular butt, even though that may not be true.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited August 2017
    "slaite1 wrote:
    So I'm going to second her recommendation. Or at least get on a structured program rather than just doing a bunch of random exercises and hoping for results. It's way too easy to spin your wheels, I did it for years. Once I created structure and consistency in my workouts, my progress was dramatic. I think most people will tell you the same.

I agree with this. Stop doing a zillion exercises and put your focus into a couple of exercises weighted, and increase that weight each workout. All I do for legs/glutes are variations of Squats and Lunges (again, do them weighted). You can maybe add RDLs but honestly that's all you need.

• Jessyperry
    Jessyperry Posts: 15 Member
    Do crab walks with a band.....google it and heavy weights on the hip thrusts. Also, time is a big factor as it can take a while.

I did crab walks with the band today. So fun. HAHA
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Jessyperry wrote: »
    I'm on an approximately 1500 calorie diet a day. I've cut out white carbs and stick to corn flour and whole wheat flour, but I rarely eat it anyway. My family genetics are good, my whole family is pretty thin and my mom has a phenomenal butt (LOL).

https://bretcontreras.com just dig the through the site
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    Genetics has absolutely nothing to do with gaining a round, lifted tone butt.

Nonsense.

Your genetics absolutely limit how much you can enhance or change your physique, just as it limits your maximum physical performance potential.

Some people will NEVER be able to develop a full rounded butt regardless of what exercises they do and how much they do them.

I am one such person and despite being able to DL 391 and SQT 276 my butt appears rounded and muscular from behind but looks totally flat from the side. Nothing is going to be able to change this. It's genetic and I have accepted it.

Others who experience similar limitations in their physical development in their butt (or any other part of their body, for that matter) need to decide whether further effort is justified or whether its an artifact of their genetics that they just have to accept and move past rather than obsess about by engaging in the fruitless effort to change something that simply cannot be changed.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I agree with @sardelsa 's comments on getting the diet right and choosing a reputable program to follow (as opposed to doing every glute exercise that you can think of), not least because I assume that a reputable program like Strong Curves has a balance of exercises - It is a big mistake to create your own exercise program which focuses on a specific body part to the exclusion of all other areas because this would be likely to lead to muscle imbalances and eventually health problems.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You might try bretcontreras.com. He's known as The Glute Guy. Might be relevant, I don't know.
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2017
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Nonsense.

Your genetics absolutely limit how much you can enhance or change your physique, just as it limits your maximum physical performance potential.

Some people will NEVER be able to develop a full rounded butt regardless of what exercises they do and how much they do them.

I am one such person and despite being able to DL 391 and SQT 276 my butt appears rounded and muscular from behind but looks totally flat from the side. Nothing is going to be able to change this. It's genetic and I have accepted it.

Others who experience similar limitations in their physical development in their butt (or any other part of their body, for that matter) need to decide whether further effort is justified or whether its an artifact of their genetics that they just have to accept and move past rather than obsess about by engaging in the fruitless effort to change something that simply cannot be changed.

That's most definitely not your physical performance limit.

Maybe you aren't able to engage your glutes like others can? I think for sure genetics matter when you are at your max potential, but anyone alive is not, because you can train again today to push that limit. I just think that's a weak copout, just accepting that you can't do or get something just because.
    Lol, dude stop. Johnnie Jackson is a reknowned bodybuilder who lifts some amazing weight, along with Branch Warren. Both are enhanced and bust their *kitten* in the gym daily. So why doesn't Johnnie's leg sweep mirror that or Branch's? Or why doesn't Branch have full biceps like Johnnie?

Genetics.

No matter how hard either train or enhance, due to their genetics, their shape is their shape.

So people who don't have it in the genetic cards to have a full round butt, aren't likely going to have it no matter how hard they work out. You can even see it in bikini shows and fitness shows that many females have a "boxier" look to some who may have a "heart shaped" bottom.

So quit with the "copout" crap. I'll never be able to dunk a basketball based on genetics. I'm short and don't have "springs" to do it. I could train as hard and consistent as I want and not "copout", but reality is reality.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited August 2017
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Nonsense.

That's most definitely not your physical performance limit.

Maybe you aren't able to engage your glutes like others can? I think for sure genetics matter when you are at your max potential, but anyone alive is not, because you can train again today to push that limit. I just think that's a weak copout, just accepting that you can't do or get something just because.

This is just bro-BS.

I'm never going to be as tall or as big as the Rock or have a full rounded butt like Grey Worm displayed on GoT unless I get a butt lift and implant.

Why? Genetics.

BTW, did I mention that I'm 66, weigh only 158 and lift at an advanced and elite level based on age and weight adjusted charts?

Nothing except an increased risk injury would come from trying to push those limits further just to work on the shape of my butt.

Thanks but no thanks.
  • Jessyperry
    Jessyperry Posts: 15 Member
    I just ordered the Strong Curves book. Going to try it out along with increasing protein intake. Thank you all for your help and suggestions <3
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    "slaite1 wrote:

I agree with this. Stop doing a zillion exercises and put your focus into a couple of exercises weighted, and increase that weight each workout. All I do for legs/glutes are variations of Squats and Lunges (again, do them weighted). You can maybe add RDLs but honestly that's all you need.

Yes, follow a program! Strong Curves is probably your best bet. It's very hard to be effective going by feel.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Also time on a stationary bike will help... set the resistance high and keep the pace around 90 rpm, make it burn 15 minutes should be plenty as long as you keep the rpms at 90

Does the bike help the butt? I'm just surprised because when I cycle I don't feel any butt burn - just quads and calves mainly. Even hard pedalling seems well within the comfort zone of my very untrained behind.