Weird situation, looking for input

Options
Breenacole
Breenacole Posts: 18 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Long story short, I need exercise that I could do while laying/sitting! I understand I'm not going to lose much (if any) doing this type of exercise, but this is really just to keep me moving during this time.

Some background: I have Hemorrhagic Ulcerative Colitis, unexplained Blood Clots,chronic anemia, and chronic low hemoglobin (because of the UC). I've lost about 100 pounds since diagnosis, but I still have a few months to go. Because of my blood levels and the pain from the blood clota, I had to stop my walking routine (was walking 5 miles a day at least on the treadmill) and now mostly have to use my walker. My doctor has told me to exercise whatever I feel comfortable doing, and to listen to my body, and said I could Google some things to try. But I tell you, Google is overwhelming. So I figured why not come here and see if anyone has any suggestions that might work for me! TIA

Replies

• LCHF123
    LCHF123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds really tough, but good on you for trying to stay active! Would an exercise bike work? Or if you can't sit on a bike saddle, then how about a pedal exerciser instead (it sits on the floor and has just the pedal parts of an exercise bike so you can sit on the sofa or any chair you fancy)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't know if there is a technical name for it but you could do leg lift and hold whilst sitting, or even lying down. What I mean is where you raise your leg up, straight, as high as is comfortable, and hold it there for a few seconds, then do the other one. Slowly build up how long you do it for. I believe it's good for stomach muscles and your legs but maybe someone more down with exercise stuff could correct me if I'm wrong :)

You can do both at once too.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is the sort of thing I mean https://www.popworkouts.com/leg-lifts-exercise/
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There are some great seated workouts around, http://hasfit.com/workouts/home/senior/25-min-chair-exercises-sitting-down/ The good news is that you can lose weight without exercising, a calorie deficit is all you need and that can be achieved more in the kitchen than by working out.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised they've recommended reduced activity with the unexplained clotting.

That being said, you can maintain mobility/gain some strength with a form of reverse crawling.... knees to elbows/cross knees to elbows.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised they've recommended reduced activity with the unexplained clotting.

Yes ... me too.

I had DVT (my left leg full of clots) in 2009 and the nurses in the hospital would shoo me outside every day for a walk.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Recumbent exercise bike
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss. For fitness, how about a rowing machine?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Could you get a couple of cans or bottles of water to use as weights (if you don't have any) and do some shadow boxing? That's something you could maybe do on your back or if you're sat punch to front, side and above your head? If you have or could get hold of some resistance bands you could wrap them under your chair/bed and do some arm work too like lateral raises? Can you cycle your legs in the air whist laying down? :)

Perhaps google exercising with a disability to narrow it down? I think there should be some fairly easy to follow exercises for those who are bed or chair bound or who have limited mobility. Good luck x
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Can you swim or do water aerobics? I realize that's not sitting/laying but it does take a lot of impact out of the activity.

If you are looking for cardiovascular benefits you can sit and flap your arms similar to the arm movements during jumping jacks, or do circles with them similar to swimming.
  • Breenacole
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Definitely gonna try most of them!

That being said, you can maintain mobility/gain some strength with a form of reverse crawling.... knees to elbows/cross knees to elbows.

Yeah they want me to move but not too much. Because of the UC I am constantly losing blood, causing the low blood counts, which is made worse by being on blood thinners so I seem to lose blood faster. I had no symptoms of DVT in my legs, just went to the doc for advice to get over my pleurisy and ended up admitted with both lungs full of clots and one hanging around in my heart. I have a tendency to pass out when standing or walking for too long, so that's why they want me to still move, but not too much. They also found in the hospital that when I stand, my heart rate goes up way high, and my blood pressure drops, so at this point we are just trying to figure out what that is about.
  • Breenacole
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Can you swim or do water aerobics? I realize that's not sitting/laying but it does take a lot of impact out of the activity.

If you are looking for cardiovascular benefits you can sit and flap your arms similar to the arm movements during jumping jacks, or do circles with them similar to swimming.

I actually LOVE swimming, and it seems to be helping with my breathing, because the clots in my lungs make it hard to take in a full breath, which the doc says will go away with time thankfully. I just can't go for long periods before I'm exhausted/dizzy. So my cousin got me a boat for her pool and I paddle around with the oar lol
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a rowing machine but that might be too intense.
    Recumbent exercise bike as suggested by someone else, maybe.

And there are LOADS of dumbbell exercises you can do seated. Basically anything you could do standing still!
    If you want more core involvement, you could sit or lie on a swiss ball at the same time.
    But depending how you're feeling, they may also be too intense?

You could also look in to mat pilates or yoga - lots of resources on YouTube for home workouts. Both may involve some standing, but you could just skip those parts. Those sorts of things may be a good place to start, particularly as the rhythmic breathing associated with both pilates and yoga could help with heart rate control.

Most importantly, keep up with the positive attitude!
    Sir Steve Redgrave won 3 of his 5 Olympic gold models after his UC diagnosis, mostly through sheer determination.
    I think this is the best of the articles I've read about it... https://adventuresofthebaglady.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/meeting-olympic-legend-sir-steve-redgrave-a-true-ulcerative-colitis-hero/
  • Breenacole
    edited August 2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »

Most importantly, keep up with the positive attitude!
    Sir Steve Redgrave won 3 of his 5 Olympic gold models after his UC diagnosis, mostly through sheer determination.
    I think this is the best of the articles I've read about it... https://adventuresofthebaglady.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/meeting-olympic-legend-sir-steve-redgrave-a-true-ulcerative-colitis-hero/

yes I certainly try to stay positive! I have to show my son that I am doing all I can to get back to as healthy as I can be! I wake up every day thankful I'm alive and ready to figure out how to go the next step