Eating right but not working out ?

Options
So, ive started a job a 2 months ago that requires me to run around and be on my feet lifting and pulling everyday for 9 hours per day. It says on my fitbit that im walking around 12-15km per day steps-wise and definitely burning a lot of calories (enough to allow me a nice calloric deficit) My commute time is long and by the time I get home I have to meal prep or do homework/study and then I pass out.
Now, what im wondering is if its possible to lose weight just by having an active job and eating right (calories and macros, of which im doing a low carb high fat regiment currently) and not at all going to the gym. Im not super overweight I only have about 8 kilos to drop.
Im wondering this because since I started the job and stopped going to the gym ive gained a bit of weight but it was also because I slacked on my macros but im back on it and life is good.
Input?
Thanks! Any details I should add for better advice feel free to ask.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt magically know if your at a gym lol. Active job and walking and calorie counting is how i lost 105 pounds in a year. All you need is the deficit
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Fitness if good for you though! But you can just eat at a deficit and lose weight. You don't even have to do low carb or high fat. You'll want to weigh all of your food using a food scale.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No gym necessary, just calorie deficit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    This^^^
    Set your activity level to active/very active ( adjust using personal data). Weigh and log your food and drink and you should lose.
    A goal of .5lbs a week would be good with only 8 kg to lose.

Cheers, h.
  • mariaeli93
    mariaeli93 Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Of course, I know this well and its completely logical and all but if I simply eat at a deficit without watching my macros I blow up again. So I have to be super careful :/ I went 5 months just simply being at a deficit and I gained 5 kilos so im enslaved to macros..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    mariaeli93 wrote: »
    ]

Of course, I know this well but and its logical and all but if I simply eat at a deficit without watching my macros I blow up again. So I have to be super careful :/ I went 5 months just simply being at a deficit and I gained 5 kilos so im enslaved to macros

Food scale. Buy one. Use it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ]

Of course, I know this well but and its logical and all but if I simply eat at a deficit without watching my macros I blow up again. So I have to be super careful :/ I went 5 months just simply being at a deficit and I gained 5 kilos so im enslaved to macros

You weren't in a deficit then. How do you measure your calorie intake?
  • mariaeli93
    Options
    To everyone saying I should use a scale, I own 3. I meal prep using my scales everyday (or every other day if I make big portions) I measure everything I eat and drink, geez ive lost a total of 25kilos doing this, but I just keep jo-joing with the last 10kilos
  • mariaeli93
    Options
    To everyone saying I should use a scale, I own 3. I meal prep using my scales everyday (or every other day if I make big portions) I measure everything I eat and drink, geez ive lost a total of 25kilos doing this, but I just keep jo-joing with the last 10kilos

you said in a previous post you gained 5 kilos eating at a deficit - that is not possible - so something was off in your measurements - do you weigh everything you eat??

Yep, I even have a scale at work
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Improper macros are NOT going to make you gain weight if you are truly eating at a deficit.

But to answer your original question - No, you do not need to exercise to lose weight. I walk about 10k steps a day and ensure I am eating at a deficit and I lose about 1.5 lbs a week. No other intentional exercise, because I just don't have the time.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I would advise to not take your fitbit calories as gospel. I had been eating back all my workout calories recorded by my Polar H7 heart rate monitor and not seeing much fat loss to show for it. Last week I switched to a TDEE spreadsheet vs. the recorded calorie burn and have been happy with the change. I stumbled upon the sheet via Reddit and have lost over 1.5lbs since, which is huge for me where I am under 14% body fat. Be diligent logging and weighing daily and it averages out what your TDEE is and your recommended calorie level for your desired weight loss rate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started
  • mariaeli93
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I would advise to not take your fitbit calories as gospel. I had been eating back all my workout calories recorded by my Polar H7 heart rate monitor and not seeing much fat loss to show for it. Last week I switched to a TDEE spreadsheet vs. the recorded calorie burn and have been happy with the change. I stumbled upon the sheet via Reddit and have lost over 1.5lbs since, which is huge for me where I am under 14% body fat. Be diligent logging and weighing daily and it averages out what your TDEE is and your recommended calorie level for your desired weight loss rate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    have you readjusted your calories since losing weight? the less you weigh, the less you need, meaning if you don't reassess after every 5 kilos or so you're going to end up wiping out your deficit just by eating the same as you did to lose in the beginning.
  • Bradley_J84
    Bradley_J84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have an active job where I'm on my feet all day. I'm down 84 lbs in 6 months. Not a day in the gym
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You lose weight by eating less than you burn. Think of exercise as being more for health and fitness, but unnecessary for weight loss.

This.

Op I lost 50lbs with no exercise factored in at all.
  • RockinLowCarbs
    RockinLowCarbs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It definitely works the opposite way. Once i stopped bartending where i was constantly moving for an office job i put on 5kg in a month! All those km u do on the job def count.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Careful with fitbit calories, especially if your heartrate does go up significantly when walking around. It might give you much more calories than you really need to lose. I know my workout/just walking around calories on my fitbit are grossly inflated, and I would gain weight at a very fast pace.