How do you not get upset?

daisyfields79
daisyfields79 Posts: 69 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
When the scale goes up a little when your doing so good and it should be going down? I know water retention and that but I still find it upsetting this morning seeing 1 pound on.

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Focus on longer trends than every day. I weigh once a week rather than every day since it was driving me a little crazy to see the daily fluctuations. If it helps you to see the overall trend, there are various apps you can use to log your weight that will graph it for you. Don't get discouraged, weight loss is not linear (which can be frustrating).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    What good does it do to get upset? It is frustrating, but it is what it is and getting upset won't change it.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    I used to get frustrated....I realized it bothered me so I started weighing less. I also don't weigh during my period, whenever I add in a new exercise or feel bloated. I weigh once every week or two.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Don't step on the scale everyday. Try once a week. It's easy to let the scale trick you. But tape don't lie. Try using tape to measure your losses and record those measurements.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I felt this way until I started using Libra, it makes you notice the overall trend. Even when I went through a period of 14 days with no loss my overall trend was down, and then a "whoosh" came. I also signed up for a biggest loser competition on MFP, it was fun and it helped me see that I was losing every week when my weigh in day came for this competition
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    I second the vote for Libra or similar trending app, I was struggling like you with any increase on the scale but the trending app really let's you see that the daily number is largely insignificant. We know that weight is going to fluctuate but it can still be difficult to see it, the trending app reminds you that overall you are still losing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I prefer to weigh once a week. I have more frustration seeing daily fluctuations even if I know it is normal.
    I tell myself to look at results from a couple of weeks not just one day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I weigh myself once or twice a week and I only record my losses in a spreadsheet which also calculates my total loss, monthly loss, and the average weekly loss since I began (currently 1.78 lb since Jan 29th).
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I only get upset if I go 3 WEEKS in a row without losing and I think I am doing everything right. At that point (after I throw my little hissy fit), I reevaluate what I've been logging to see if I'm lying to myself. I also see if my daily calorie goals are still accurate. I also force myself to take a look at how far I've already come and try to focus on the positives.

Don't let short term hiccups derail your overall progress.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2017
    Weight naturally fluctuates. Mine fluctuated all through my weight loss. Here's a 3-month trend where I was at or below my calorie goal every day:

nytvg0bgc975.jpg

I measure my daily success by how well I stick to my plan rather than what the scale says. Concentrate on the process and let the results take care of themselves when they get around to it. It's your trend over time that matters.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I understand what it means and go about my business.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I'm a daily weigh person too and I wish I didn't step on there because I know it's best to weigh once a week or even once a month. It's hard not to weigh! I suggest measuring your body and keeping track that way.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Another vote for a trending app - I weigh every day, and my numbers go up and down from day to day but I don't let it affect me anymore as I can see the general trend going in the right direction. I don't let my weight change how I feel, how I eat or how I exercise.

(today I was up 2kgs but I figured it was because the day before I trained for the first time in 5 days....and about 2 hours after weighing I did a massive poo :p)